Sending more direct clients ProZ.com\'s way
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 21:40
German to English
+ ...
Dec 6, 2001

We have all been bellyaching for some time now about rates, bids, etc. Let\'s do something positive for a change.

Many of you have said that you would like to see more direct clients post jobs on this site.

I know that this is really part of the moderators\' job description, but I think we all need to chip in.

Use your own contacts and spread the word: this morning, for example, I was contacted by two companies (not agencies) for lan
... See more
We have all been bellyaching for some time now about rates, bids, etc. Let\'s do something positive for a change.

Many of you have said that you would like to see more direct clients post jobs on this site.

I know that this is really part of the moderators\' job description, but I think we all need to chip in.

Use your own contacts and spread the word: this morning, for example, I was contacted by two companies (not agencies) for language pairs I do not offer. I told them to post their projects on ProZ - hopefully, they will

This site has over 26,000 members (or: about 5,000 active members), and if we all referred direct clients to ProZ, we could see an exponential growth in the number direct-client postings, thus improving the quality of the jobs available through this site (and, perhaps, even increase the rates ).

So, if you\'re still looking for a good new year\'s resolution, how about considering this?
Collapse

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
Local time: 03:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
or: Dec 6, 2001

even better: refer to Prozers you know can do the job and avoid the bidding mess. For sure there are many doing this already. And you\'ll make a friend forever. Besides, I don\'t think many direct clients would bother going through this unaided (especially when they have to choose one out of five hundred!)

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
The virtual world is not the whole world Dec 7, 2001

Should I be unable to outsource the job myself, I would definitely send such clients to friends of mine out in the real world. Cultivating contacts in the real world is much healthier and safer than many think and I agree with those who say that we should watch the window in which we expose our wares.

Jacek

P.S. Btw, Werner, what is that \"moderator\'s job description\"?

Local time: 21:40
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Job description Dec 7, 2001

Well, as I understand it, moderators are expected to recruit new members and outsourcers:

1)Guiding ProZ.com members

- maintaining a useful set of links

- responding to basic customer service issues in the language of the user (not yet possible )

- maintaining FAQ and news sections for their members (not yet possible )

2)Bringing in new members to ProZ.com

- Making cross-link agreements with other sites, ass
... See more
Well, as I understand it, moderators are expected to recruit new members and outsourcers:

1)Guiding ProZ.com members

- maintaining a useful set of links

- responding to basic customer service issues in the language of the user (not yet possible )

- maintaining FAQ and news sections for their members (not yet possible )

2)Bringing in new members to ProZ.com

- Making cross-link agreements with other sites, associations

- Promoting the site in passive ways (i.e. signature files, etc.)

3) Helping to grow and shape ProZ.com as a cooperative and as a business

- Selling ads to outside businesses (commission rate is 1/3 and pricing is flexible)

- Making decisions related to job and question systems

- Oversite/maintenance of subcommunities (deleting outdated postings, questions, inappropriate links, etc.) (not yet possible )

- Helping to translate ProZ.com text into their native languages (voluntary)

Not every moderator will take on every responsibility listed above. ProZ.com staff understands and expects that moderators will contribute primarily in the ways they their interests, expertise and personal networks allow. As a rule of thumb, we expect a commitment of approximately 2 hours/week. Lastly, all moderators should have complete user profiles, and working familiarity with site features and functionality.

Moderators are free to resign their positions at any time, for any reason. By the same token, ProZ.com reserves the right to replace moderators who do not contribute at a minimum level of productivity, or who exhibit behavior that is partial, or professionally inappropriate.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending more direct clients ProZ.com\'s way

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »