Off topic: Use of "training" as countable noun?
Thread poster: Kevin Pfeiffer (X)
Kevin Pfeiffer (X)
Kevin Pfeiffer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:15
German to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2007

From Henry's half-time report : "(3) Announcing ProZ.com trainings"

Is this British English? Does one have "trainings" in the UK? I guess we already have "mailings" and "briefings", so why not a little more?

-Kevin (my last messaging for today)

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Well.... Jun 18, 2007

I think it will certainly come, if it is not already approved.

But the way around it could always be to talk about "training sessions" or "days", or "events" even.

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
It hurt my brain when I first saw it ... Jun 18, 2007

... when I first saw it on the homepage. But then I thought the text space was probably too limited to put another word, like 'training sessions', and thought that was the reason for this oddity.

Haven't had time yet to read Henry's email, but surely he can't be short of space there.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 18:15
Turkish to English
+ ...
I have encountered this Jun 18, 2007

I have encountered the use of 'training' as a countable noun in company news letters and reports.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:15
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
space Jun 18, 2007

Lesley Clayton wrote:
It hurt my brain when I first saw it ...
... when I first saw it on the homepage. But then I thought the text space was probably too limited to put another word, like 'training sessions', and thought that was the reason for this oddity.

It hurt my brain too. It still does; I can't get used to it. If there's not enough space, perhaps we could use the word "courses". Or create more space!
Maria

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
But wait... Jun 18, 2007

Why not just "training"?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Trainings Jun 18, 2007

Yes, "trainings" appears to be used all over in the US, to us it seems quite natural. Of course not everything we create over here is so great, but...

...you must also realize that there are more of us, and there is more than one Henry, too!

I know this Henry is always having trouble trying to fathom British English and Peninsular Spanish, so that ocean definitely does mark a certain linguistic divide.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:15
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
5 cm a year Jun 18, 2007

Henry Hinds wrote:

Yes, "trainings" appears to be used all over in the US, to us it seems quite natural. Of course not everything we create over here is so great, but...

...you must also realize that there are more of us, and there is more than one Henry, too!

I know this Henry is always having trouble trying to fathom British English and Peninsular Spanish, so that ocean definitely does mark a certain linguistic divide.

Yes, Henries all, and the divide is growing greater at the rate of about 5 cm a year - spreading from the mid-Atlantic ridge - apparently the same rate at which one's finger nails grow.
Incidentally, I think it should be "training courses" too.
Regards,
Jenny.

Kevin Pfeiffer (X)
Kevin Pfeiffer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Use of "training" as countable noun?" Jun 18, 2007

Henry Hinds wrote:

I used to be a native English speaker of the US kind...

To my dated ear (only gone 7 years) it sounds like corporate Human Resources jargon.

Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
trainings / learnings? Jun 18, 2007

Thank you for asking. Should this be a mono-English Kudoz?

As it happens, I also still go for training or training programs/courses (etc.) as the standard expression that does not draw attention to itself, but "learnings" seems to be spreading, too, so are expats in Germany behind the times? Or are we still putting the reader first?

If we have insights, why not learnings?

For other nouns, what about saving/savings, cost/costs, and "spend"?

As
... See more
Thank you for asking. Should this be a mono-English Kudoz?

As it happens, I also still go for training or training programs/courses (etc.) as the standard expression that does not draw attention to itself, but "learnings" seems to be spreading, too, so are expats in Germany behind the times? Or are we still putting the reader first?

If we have insights, why not learnings?

For other nouns, what about saving/savings, cost/costs, and "spend"?

As for verbs, do people still get upset about being "copied"?

As someone mentioned, all these words, to me, signal that you are being addressed by someone who wants your money or your life (motivation).

Best regardz
Terry
Collapse

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I'm thinking, I'm thinking Jun 18, 2007

Terry Gilman wrote:

As someone mentioned, all these words, to me, signal that you are being addressed by someone who wants your money or your life (motivation).

Best regardz
Terry

(SmileyZ)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of "training" as countable noun?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »