Thread poster: Rick Henry
Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 15, 2003

This is not a problem, just an observation I\'ve noticed lately, and wondered what other members thought about it.

Lately, particularly in the SPEN kudoz sections, I\'ve seen a LOT of people offering answers, then hiding them, either after they\'ve recieved one or more disagrees, or for some other unknown reason (I\'ve seen some that were not incorrect answers, yet still hidden).

Personally, I\'m interested in seeing all answers, right or wrong.

I guess I\'m just
... See more
This is not a problem, just an observation I\'ve noticed lately, and wondered what other members thought about it.

Lately, particularly in the SPEN kudoz sections, I\'ve seen a LOT of people offering answers, then hiding them, either after they\'ve recieved one or more disagrees, or for some other unknown reason (I\'ve seen some that were not incorrect answers, yet still hidden).

Personally, I\'m interested in seeing all answers, right or wrong.

I guess I\'m just curious as to why there is an increase in this lately.

R.

==
Collapse

Carolina Lopez Garcia
Carolina Lopez Garcia  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have started Jan 15, 2003

to do so very recently, just when I found out there was the chance to do it. I often do that when I have repeated the answer or just when I see another answer which I think is more suitable (for reasons of context or for references), specially if I guess that my answer might be wrong or even ridiculous. Sometimes I just answer too quickly or without reading the context or just without thinking, and when I see another better option I just think it is better to delete mine. A low self-esteem, I su... See more
to do so very recently, just when I found out there was the chance to do it. I often do that when I have repeated the answer or just when I see another answer which I think is more suitable (for reasons of context or for references), specially if I guess that my answer might be wrong or even ridiculous. Sometimes I just answer too quickly or without reading the context or just without thinking, and when I see another better option I just think it is better to delete mine. A low self-esteem, I suppose.Collapse

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 03:01
English
+ ...
I use to stand by my bloopers Jan 15, 2003

Now I too bury them after I\'ve been shown the light by a colleague.

I also hide correct answers when my answer arrives second or third and adds nothing new.

If I think I\'ve an extra tidbit but nothing truly original, I\'ll leave it add an \"agree\" to the answer ahead of mine: all else being equal, I apply the rule of \"first-past-the-post\".

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Self-esteem intact Jan 15, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-15 21:49, Fainberg wrote:

to do so very recently, just when I found out there was the chance to do it. I often do that when I have repeated the answer or just when I see another answer which I think is more suitable (for reasons of context or for references), specially if I guess that my answer might be wrong or even ridiculous. Sometimes I just answer too quickly or without reading the context or just without thi... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-15 21:49, Fainberg wrote:

to do so very recently, just when I found out there was the chance to do it. I often do that when I have repeated the answer or just when I see another answer which I think is more suitable (for reasons of context or for references), specially if I guess that my answer might be wrong or even ridiculous. Sometimes I just answer too quickly or without reading the context or just without thinking, and when I see another better option I just think it is better to delete mine. A low self-esteem, I suppose.

I agree with Fainberg...except for the \"low self-esteem\" part. Nothing to do with that, under my perspective. If anything, completely the opposite.

I see it as an issue of fairness and energy efficiency. There is no point in engaging on agree/disagree races when you know your own answer is not as good as other(s). It does help to send an agree to the other answer too.

I wish I had been able to do so more often than I have.

Regards

Paul Collapse

Hernan Navas
Hernan Navas
United States
Local time: 12:01
English to Spanish
On hiding and un-hiding kudoz answers Jan 16, 2003

I happen to press that little icon by accident, and thus hid my kudoz answer. When I realized what I had done I tried to bring the answer back to life but didn\'t know how. Can anyone tell me how to un-hide a kudoz answer?

Thank you,

Hernán Navas

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
agree with not hiding incorrect answers Jan 16, 2003

but as I learned from my previous post about this subject last year, there are many reasons why people do so:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=9673#9673

Sara Noss
Sara Noss  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:01
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Hello Rick Jan 16, 2003

I\'ve just seen your posting & I have to admit that on occasion, I have hidden some of my answers. I did so yesterday with the following KudoZ question: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/343383. I clearly didn\'t have the correct measure of the translation & have no wish to waste the asker\'s time. My reasons for hiding some responses pretty much reflect those expressed by Fainberg & Paul.

If, upon refle
... See more
I\'ve just seen your posting & I have to admit that on occasion, I have hidden some of my answers. I did so yesterday with the following KudoZ question: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/343383. I clearly didn\'t have the correct measure of the translation & have no wish to waste the asker\'s time. My reasons for hiding some responses pretty much reflect those expressed by Fainberg & Paul.

If, upon reflection, I feel that my response has been useless I remove it. If I feel my response is valid, I support it & stick with it regardless of the reaction it may or may not receive from peers. In that case, I am happy to leave my faults (disagrees), & there have been many, resolutely on show.

All the best,

Sara.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:01
SITE FOUNDER
Alternative: reduce confidence level? Jan 16, 2003

Would be better to have the option to reduce your confidence level? Then, a mistaken answer (corrected by disagrees) remains for the benefit of others, but the risk of an asker choosing a wrong answer remains low.

(I say \"remains\", because one of the nice things about hiding wrong answers is that there is no risk they will be chosen.)

Differences in confidence expressed could be made more pronounced.

Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Good to have choices in both senses Jan 16, 2003

By that I mean I love seeing the choice of answers and also think it is great to have a choice in handling posts that turn out to be barking up the wrong tree.

Fainberg, Thanks for putting my reasons for hiding in a nutshell. I would also say it is not so much \"low self-esteem\" - really it is a form of courtesy when you know your answer is just wrong for whatever reason. As my old boss used to say- \"Only those who don\'t work don\'t make mistakes.\"

... See more
By that I mean I love seeing the choice of answers and also think it is great to have a choice in handling posts that turn out to be barking up the wrong tree.

Fainberg, Thanks for putting my reasons for hiding in a nutshell. I would also say it is not so much \"low self-esteem\" - really it is a form of courtesy when you know your answer is just wrong for whatever reason. As my old boss used to say- \"Only those who don\'t work don\'t make mistakes.\"

Sometimes at the end of the day I\'ll see a question with no responses and just chip in my ideas to get the ball rolling. Sometimes I regret having done so and was glad for the hide key once or twice.

Don\'t nearly all of us prefer it when the responders who decide another answer is better endorse it in a note and explain why rather than just hiding their posts?

Still, everyone has days when they have no time whatsoever or just feel like withdrawing into their snail shells, so having a variety of options is great.
Collapse

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
hiding in order not to get undeserved KudoZ Jan 16, 2003

It happens that sb answers in good faith and even gets 3 agrees - like in an IT-DE question today - but is proved to be wrong by a following answer. As some people award KudoZ to the first answer without seeming to care much for the others (especially if the 1st has several agrees), in this case I thought it necessary to post a disagree, although I normally prefer the kinder \"neutral\": precisely in order to help the best answer to get the points.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-1
... See more
It happens that sb answers in good faith and even gets 3 agrees - like in an IT-DE question today - but is proved to be wrong by a following answer. As some people award KudoZ to the first answer without seeming to care much for the others (especially if the 1st has several agrees), in this case I thought it necessary to post a disagree, although I normally prefer the kinder \"neutral\": precisely in order to help the best answer to get the points.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-16 14:11]
Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was reallly an observation on the increase... Jan 16, 2003

My posting was really an observation on the sudden increase in hiding kudoz answers, particularly in the SPEN groups, not a criticism of the practice in general (I\'ve, in fact, hidden a few bone-headed answers myself). After reading about some of the proposed kudoz changes in the forums, I wonder how this will affect the weighted grading (or is it weighted average?) that will be implemeted. Wouldn\'t this pretty much invalidate any kind of meaningful average? Or would hidden answers be incl... See more
My posting was really an observation on the sudden increase in hiding kudoz answers, particularly in the SPEN groups, not a criticism of the practice in general (I\'ve, in fact, hidden a few bone-headed answers myself). After reading about some of the proposed kudoz changes in the forums, I wonder how this will affect the weighted grading (or is it weighted average?) that will be implemeted. Wouldn\'t this pretty much invalidate any kind of meaningful average? Or would hidden answers be included in the average, just not shown?Collapse

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 03:01
English
+ ...
Good idea! Jan 17, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-01-16 09:38, Henry wrote:

Would be better to have the option to reduce your confidence level? Then, a mistaken answer (corrected by disagrees) remains for the benefit of others, but the risk of an asker choosing a wrong answer remains low.

Yes, because a wrong answer can trigger the right neuron in another colleague\'s mindmaze.

It would also be nice to be able to modify an agree/neutral/disagree after submission to correct a typo or omitted word (sometimes my trigger is faster than my draw).

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
yes, let's modify agrees! Jan 17, 2003

introducing an \"option to reduce your confidence level\"?

I think this is less useful, because, as I said (and documented), a mistaken answer may receive several agrees, and those tend to attract the KudoZ awarders\' attention much more than the confidence bar.

Arthur, your idea is excellent:

\"It would also be nice to be able to modify an agree/neutral/disagree after submission\": not only to correct a typo or omitted word, as you said, but also to reac
... See more
introducing an \"option to reduce your confidence level\"?

I think this is less useful, because, as I said (and documented), a mistaken answer may receive several agrees, and those tend to attract the KudoZ awarders\' attention much more than the confidence bar.

Arthur, your idea is excellent:

\"It would also be nice to be able to modify an agree/neutral/disagree after submission\": not only to correct a typo or omitted word, as you said, but also to react to later answers or to later notes by the answerer you agreed with, or even to convert a disagree into a neutral and so on…
Collapse

Matthew Kinnersly
Matthew Kinnersly  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
Japanese to English
Avoiding wrong selections Mar 19, 2003

Sometimes I answer a question and see a later answer that is clearly better. In those cases I usually add a comment referring the answerer to the better answer, and add my agree there. It\'s rather cumbersome, but I\'ve seen a lot of cases where the points go to completely the wrong answer. In one case someone posted an answer that merely said he agreed with a previous answer, and his answer was selected.

Perhaps a check box for \"withdraw my answer from selection\" would avoid that ki
... See more
Sometimes I answer a question and see a later answer that is clearly better. In those cases I usually add a comment referring the answerer to the better answer, and add my agree there. It\'s rather cumbersome, but I\'ve seen a lot of cases where the points go to completely the wrong answer. In one case someone posted an answer that merely said he agreed with a previous answer, and his answer was selected.

Perhaps a check box for \"withdraw my answer from selection\" would avoid that kind of thing without hiding.
Collapse

Matthew Kinnersly
Matthew Kinnersly  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
Japanese to English
Agree spamming Mar 19, 2003

I often receive wads of e-mails informing me that the same person has agreed with several of my past answers, without adding any comment. These can even be ones that have already been closed, and sometimes the same person agrees to all the listed answers, again with no comments. This is clearly abuse aimed at harvesting Browniz, but it can make it harder for the asker to make a fair selection. It\'s another reason to hide an answer.

Is this agree spamming a widespread problem?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Removing (hiding) kudoz answers

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »