No more public bidding
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 14:54
German to English
+ ...
Dec 23, 2001

Henry,

Thank you again for putting an end to public bidding. I agree with you that this step by itself will not automatically do away with the problem of low rates, but it is a start.

Removing public bidding is good for the following reasons:

1. The main \"tool\" for sneaking a peek at others\' bids is gone.

2. Translators will have more of an incentive to market themselves based on their merits (without constant
... See more
Henry,

Thank you again for putting an end to public bidding. I agree with you that this step by itself will not automatically do away with the problem of low rates, but it is a start.

Removing public bidding is good for the following reasons:

1. The main \"tool\" for sneaking a peek at others\' bids is gone.

2. Translators will have more of an incentive to market themselves based on their merits (without constantly trying to undercut other bids).

3. Since the rest of us will no longer be able to see others\' bids, there will be a lot less disagreement and hostility within the ProZ community.

Thank you, Henry, and Happy Holidays!
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 19:54
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Hear, hear! Dec 23, 2001

Thank you, Henry - I\'d like to echo the above sentiments.

Now, Werner, please teach me how to do the scrolling in HTML )
[addsig]

Alexandra Tussing
Alexandra Tussing  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
That's great! Dec 23, 2001

Thank you very much, Henry!

Shutting down the public bidding is tremendous progress. Now we are not going to be sold like toys on E-bay anymore - and this will help us as professionals to market our services at a professional level.

The next essential step toward making this into a site that fulfills its stated goal of bringing interpreters and companies together directly is to require that any company o
... See more
Thank you very much, Henry!

Shutting down the public bidding is tremendous progress. Now we are not going to be sold like toys on E-bay anymore - and this will help us as professionals to market our services at a professional level.

The next essential step toward making this into a site that fulfills its stated goal of bringing interpreters and companies together directly is to require that any company offering a project give sufficient information to enable bidders to follow up with them and verify their actual existence. This would help us avoid abuses that have occurred in the past, such as trying to obtain free translations through posting different parts of the same project as \"jobs\" with a number of \"test translations\" and thus not paying for translation of the entire document.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Collapse

DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Amen and Alleluia! Dec 23, 2001

Well said, Werner!

Rich

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:54
German to English
+ ...
YES! YES! YES! Dec 23, 2001

Thank you Werner (I refer to my comment in one of the last BBS discussions). It finally came to that point. It will not reduce the $0.03 translators, but it will reduce the psychologic pressure to \"the rest of us\". We will all have to better market the skills we have.

Let\'s see how it develops.

Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:54
German to English
Na endlich!! Dec 24, 2001

I have tried not to let myself be influenced by the low bidding; nevertheless, I always find public bidding and samples extremely unprofessional. This is a öong-needed step in the right direction.

Geri Linda Metterle
Geri Linda Metterle
Local time: 20:54
English to German
+ ...
Thanks Goodness !!! Dec 24, 2001

This really made my holidays!!!

I never thought this would come true! I was frustrated many times, when I saw the low bids of some \"professionals\".

Happy Holidays!!!
[addsig]

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Great idea...Good job!!! Dec 27, 2001

And many thanks from the bottom of my heart. Being a translator of one of the most common language pairs (EnglishSpanish), the competition is fierce. Personally I have turned down at least 3 firm offers because I deemed the pay was extremely low and the payment terms ridiculous for such prices. We are professionals and we should be compensated as such. As long as there are people who bid $0.02/per word source language we will never gain the respect we so deserve. Keep up the good work!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No more public bidding

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »