Outsourcer\'s non-business e-mail address
Thread poster: SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
Local time: 08:26
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dec 27, 2001

Many translation outsourcers has e-mail addresses like [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected].

I would personally never bid on a job if the outsourcer has an e-mail address like that. I mean NEVER. The outsourcer admits that he/she doesn\'t belong to a translation agency or regular corporation.

... See more
Many translation outsourcers has e-mail addresses like [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected].

I would personally never bid on a job if the outsourcer has an e-mail address like that. I mean NEVER. The outsourcer admits that he/she doesn\'t belong to a translation agency or regular corporation.

Would it be possible for Proz.com to from the outsourcer demand a business e-mail address? The advantage of such regulation is that you easily can look up the company\'s website, from the e-mail address, and see what kind of outsourcer you\'re bidding to.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-27 12:27 ]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Non-business eMail address might have a reason Dec 27, 2001

Dear Mattias,

An outsourcer might have a reason (not to divulge his/her identity publicly).

I get vigilant yes, but bidding is not dangerous.

To take on a job is a different matter. Such an email has to be explained to me before I would accept it and the rest of credentials offered must be good enough to outweigh the possible doubtfulness of such an explanation.

AS ALWAYS:

It\'s the sum of the factors that form a decision, not a singular one.... See more
Dear Mattias,

An outsourcer might have a reason (not to divulge his/her identity publicly).

I get vigilant yes, but bidding is not dangerous.

To take on a job is a different matter. Such an email has to be explained to me before I would accept it and the rest of credentials offered must be good enough to outweigh the possible doubtfulness of such an explanation.

AS ALWAYS:

It\'s the sum of the factors that form a decision, not a singular one.

HNY

Mats Wiman
Collapse

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not everyone has his own domain name Dec 27, 2001

I wouldn\'t say that such an e-mail address is by definition open to suspicion: not everyone has a domain of his own. When I started working as a translator two years ago, my e-mail address was [email protected]: a free provider and an address that did not reveal my identity. Not because I didn\'t want people to know who I was, but simply because that\'s the name of my company.

After a while, I started \"experimenting
... See more
I wouldn\'t say that such an e-mail address is by definition open to suspicion: not everyone has a domain of his own. When I started working as a translator two years ago, my e-mail address was [email protected]: a free provider and an address that did not reveal my identity. Not because I didn\'t want people to know who I was, but simply because that\'s the name of my company.

After a while, I started \"experimenting\" and created my own website. I bought a domain name, after which I could change my address to [email protected], which I did.

I certainly agree that having your own domain name gives a more professional impression, but IMHO not having one does not mean that the project or the person posting the project is fishy. Ask them an address and a company name and there are other ways to check who you are dealing with.
Collapse

cheungmo
cheungmo
English to French
+ ...
A permanent address Dec 27, 2001

There\'s the problem of people getting ahold of you when you\'ve changed ISP\'s.

I have a public address at mailandnews and a private address which is whatever my current ISP is. People who deal with me are all told to use the private address and to keep the public address for when mail bounces back from the private address.

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:26
French to English
Many valid reasons for free e-mail addresses Dec 27, 2001

There are many valid reasons for using free e-mail addresses -- the project manager might be working on another system in the office, travelling, working from home or the company\'s e-mail system might be down.

There is also the possibility that they might be trying to avoid infecting the corporate system with viruses by working on a separate system (not connected to the network and the corporate e-mail system) and using a free e-mail address.

FWIW,
... See more
There are many valid reasons for using free e-mail addresses -- the project manager might be working on another system in the office, travelling, working from home or the company\'s e-mail system might be down.

There is also the possibility that they might be trying to avoid infecting the corporate system with viruses by working on a separate system (not connected to the network and the corporate e-mail system) and using a free e-mail address.

FWIW,

Karin Adamczyk
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outsourcer\'s non-business e-mail address

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »