Mid-year report to members, 2011
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 16:40
SITE STAFF
May 18, 2011

Dear ProZ.com members,

Here is a report on the advancements made in the first half of this year and after the Year-end report to members published last November.

• Job flow on the site, having steadily increased throughout 2010, reached a new all-time record high in March, with each month so far this year also exceeding the amount of work passed in those months in previous years. Feedback... See more
  • Dear ProZ.com members,

Here is a report on the advancements made in the first half of this year and after the Year-end report to members published last November.

• Job flow on the site, having steadily increased throughout 2010, reached a new all-time record high in March, with each month so far this year also exceeding the amount of work passed in those months in previous years. Feedback, both LWA and WWA, is also on the rise.

• Membership continues to grow. Over 17,000 language professionals are currently investing in their businesses through ProZ.com. As you know, membership is what powers ProZ.com and makes the site, improvements and new features possible. An expanding community of members also comes back to benefit members with job flow as clients readily find a larger community of language professionals for their projects (client/job flow is directed first towards members).

• The Invoicing system continues to prove useful to more members. Over 26,000 invoices have been generated so far this year using the system. If you haven't used it yet, give it a try.

• Site guidance, a service dedicated to helping members get the most out of their ProZ.com experiences, continues, most notably through a series of free webinars. The "Meeting clients at ProZ.com" webinar-workshops, held in English, Spanish and Russian, have been attended by over 1,000 participants so far this year, and newer free webinars have been started recently: "Getting started in translation" and "Expanding your translation business". Visit the webinars section to see upcoming webinars in this series. You can also visit the ProZ.com tutorial videos area to see new recorded material to help you get more out of ProZ.com.

• With the assistance of members of the Certified PRO Network, ProZ.com's Mentoring program has been revived. The Mentoring program provides tools and support to those who are established and experienced in translation and in the business of translation to share experience with, and network or find new partners among those who have, for example, completed formal training in translation but have a lack of practical experience and have not yet developed their own client base. If you are a ProZ.com member and are interested in participating in the Mentoring program, you can find more information here.

• The Certified PRO Network had its first virtual powwow in April, a second one on May 13th, and more of these events are on the way. Special discounts for training and in-person events have been introduced for members of the network. Members of the Certified PRO Network also participated in an ambitious NGO localization project organized by Translators without Borders. As the screening requirements for the Certified PRO Network are similar to those of Translators without Borders, members of the CPN are admitted directly as Translators without Borders translators. Read more about this project >>

• A platform originally designed to assist Translators without Borders with screening volunteer translators following the disaster in Haiti last year has evolved into an efficient online "translation center" in which NGOs served by Translators without Borders can post requests for translation, and willing translators can accept and deliver the work on a pro bono basis. Various aspects of the project life cycle are supported in the new "translation center", including translator screening, leveraging of TMs, optional use of MT and online translation environments, quality review and more. Use of the new platform-- and of course the professionalism and the good will of the volunteers-- has enabled Translators without Borders to scale up its activities significantly in 2011.

• In translator training, over 4,000 translators have taken training through ProZ.com year to date, many taking advantage of the growing pool of free webinars offered. Experienced members of the community have shared their expertise through more than 160 webinar sessions in English, Spanish, Italian, French and German. The ProZ.com video library continues to grow, with over 130 on-demand recordings now available. More than 1,000 translators have taken SDL Trados training and certification with ProZ.com so far this year.

Some new features have been added since the last report, including:

• The Share your workspace area, where translators can share images and comments on their workspace, setup, and share ideas on productivity related to where you do your work.

• The Translator T.O., a blog for translators, with regular posts made by the ProZ.com site team and guest posters.

• The Translation feedback area, which allows members to share short translations for discussion and feedback with colleagues.

• The Translator playground, an area to network, to learn, to hone translation or linguistic skills, and to have fun.

• Regular ProZ.com podcasts, with highlights of industry news, site features, interviews, and other items of interest to language professionals.

In ProZ.com events, improvements have been made to the virtual event platform, including the integration of video and voice chat. Events held so far this year have been:

Events coming up through the middle of the year include:

Note that all virtual events are free to ProZ.com members.

See upcoming in-person events: http://www.proz.com/conference/
    See upcoming virtual events: http://www.proz.com/virtual-conferences

Appreciation

Many members contributed to the accomplishments listed above, and many other changes and improvements being made to the site. In particular, I would like to thank the following members for community activities, suggestions or feedback that have influenced activities so far this year:

The 2010-2011 class of site moderators, Angela Arnone, Fabio Said, Abdelhalim Zeid, Ana Resende, Conference organizers and conference sponsors, Niraja Nanjundan, Julia Zou, Çağdaş Karataş, Mohammad Reza Razaghi, verslanglais, the members of the Certified PRO Network who generously volunteered their time and work to the GoodPlanet localization project and other Translators without Borders projects, Daniela Zambrini , Sheila Wilson, and all ProZ.com trainers.

On behalf of the ProZ.com team, thank you to all site members for your support. Your membership is what makes all of this possible.

For those who are not yet ProZ.com members, the mid-year membership campaign will be starting shortly. ProZ.com is the number-one source of new clients for translators, and provides a host of other tools and opportunities for those in the translation business. Membership is essential in order to take full advantage of the opportunities and tools the site provides. Now is the best time to invest in your business through ProZ.com membership. Consider using ProZ.com as a serious tool to meet new clients, expand your business and enhance your professional opportunities.

Happy translating,

Jared
    Member services
    ProZ.com

If you are a translator or you work with translators, the ProZ.com mission statement explains how the site works for you: By providing tools and opportunities for you to network, expand your business, improve your work, and have more fun. If you have questions about membership, or need answers or help regarding anything else at ProZ.com, do not hesitate to contact staff through the online support system.
    Collapse

•  
    Ashutosh Mitra
    Ashutosh Mitra  Identity Verified
    India
    Local time: 01:10
    Member (2011)
    English to Hindi
    + ...
    SITE LOCALIZER
    I am relatively new.. May 19, 2011

Dear Jared,

I have joined the ProZ community in March this Year, and believe me in just 3 months I have felt like being a part of a family which is always there to support me for my betterment.

Offers are on a rise, as well as the rates. It is this membership which has given me a forum which also had a positive impact on my personality. I am much-much more confident and ready for challenges which was not there earlier.

I have used many of our sites felici
    ... See more
    Dear Jared,

I have joined the ProZ community in March this Year, and believe me in just 3 months I have felt like being a part of a family which is always there to support me for my betterment.

Offers are on a rise, as well as the rates. It is this membership which has given me a forum which also had a positive impact on my personality. I am much-much more confident and ready for challenges which was not there earlier.

I have used many of our sites felicities and would be be using more in near future.

Thanks for your continuous support to us.

With warm regards

ASHUTOSH MITRA
    Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mid-year report to members, 2011

Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
    Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »