Hebrew and English text
Thread poster: john-but
john-but
john-but
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:37
Jul 12, 2010

Hi

I'm hoping someone in this forum can help with this problem as I've Googled it to death but still can't find a solution.

I have Hebrew text in word documents that I need to copy and paste into a content management system (cms) that uses Internet Explorer for it's interface. I can copy the Hebrew text into the textarea that the cms uses without a problem, however, I also need to enter English words into
... See more
Hi

I'm hoping someone in this forum can help with this problem as I've Googled it to death but still can't find a solution.

I have Hebrew text in word documents that I need to copy and paste into a content management system (cms) that uses Internet Explorer for it's interface. I can copy the Hebrew text into the textarea that the cms uses without a problem, however, I also need to enter English words into the Hebrew text but as soon as an English character is typed then the Hebrew text changes from right-to-left text to left-to-right text.

For example, this line:-
ה- שואבת השראתה מערכי התרבות היפנית המוקירה את ערך

will be swapped to left to right when an English character is typed:-
ה- some English text שואבת השראתה מערכי התרבות היפנית המוקירה את ערך

Does anyone know how to insert English characters into Hebrew text without losing the right-to-left text?

MTIA

John
Collapse

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:37
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You should set the text direction to Right-to-Left Jul 12, 2010

Try clicking right Ctrl+Shit to set the writing direction to right-to-left. If it does not work, than your system does not have a full right-to-left support.

In any case, in order for the text to be displayed proplerly in the final HTML page, you should set the paragraph direction, if it is only a paragraph in Hebrew, or the page direction, if the whole page is in Hebrew, to right-to-left direction.

In order to do that, dir="rtl" attribute should be added to the
... See more
Try clicking right Ctrl+Shit to set the writing direction to right-to-left. If it does not work, than your system does not have a full right-to-left support.

In any case, in order for the text to be displayed proplerly in the final HTML page, you should set the paragraph direction, if it is only a paragraph in Hebrew, or the page direction, if the whole page is in Hebrew, to right-to-left direction.

In order to do that, dir="rtl" attribute should be added to the paragraph or the HTML tag.

HTH

Yossi
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Unicode control characters Jul 13, 2010

You may want to check whether the Unicode control characters help. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_control_characters#Bidirectional_text_control

john-but
john-but
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for the replies! Jul 13, 2010

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

In order to do that, dir="rtl" attribute should be added to the paragraph or the HTML tag.

HTH

Yossi

Many thanks Yossi! I Googled forever and didn't find Right ctrl + shift! It solved half of my problem. I can now enter the Hebrew and English and it formats correctly. However, when I save and open it again the right-to-left formatting is lost again.

I know this may be something to do with the CMS that it's being saved into but if you can think of absolutely anything that I can try then it'd be appreciated!

Robert, I've tried entering unicode RTL characters (alt+0254) in the copy and the character appears but doesn't seem to do anything?

Thanks again

John

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
CMS should have RTL support Jul 13, 2010

Otherwise, there's no way to make the text stay RTL.

But, what is really important is if the final text is displayed properly in RTL.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Which CMS are you using? Jul 13, 2010

Off-the-shelf or proprietary solution?

In the latter case, just have a chat with the company's IT developers.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Alt+0254 ? Jul 13, 2010

john-but wrote:I've tried entering unicode RTL characters (alt+0254) in the copy and the character appears but doesn't seem to do anything?

I think Alt+0254 gives a þ which apparently is a letter in the Old English, Old Norse, and Icelandic alphabets according to Wikipedia.

Inserting control characters can be tricky on Windows – you may even want to install software to input characters by Unicode number.

Does your CMS use TinyMCE? If so, it looks as if you need "Extended" functionality enabled.

john-but
john-but
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Jul 15, 2010

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this.

It was the initial solution from Yossi that resolved this issue. The second issue turned out to be a non issue as the cms was actually storing the content correctly. We have a Flash app that wasn't displaying the Right-to-left text and this is now being investigated seperately.

Rob
... See more
Thanks for everyone's feedback on this.

It was the initial solution from Yossi that resolved this issue. The second issue turned out to be a non issue as the cms was actually storing the content correctly. We have a Flash app that wasn't displaying the Right-to-left text and this is now being investigated seperately.

Robert, I got the alt+0254 shortcut from here - http://www.proz.com/forum/right_to_left_language_technical_forum/154394-sdlx_2007_need_keyboard_shortcut_for_insert_unicode_control_character_right_to_left.html

Anyway, this has now been resolved so thanks again for all your feedback. Very much appreciated.

Regards

John
Collapse

jlandau3
jlandau3
Local time: 09:37
Not a reply rather a plea for help May 22, 2012

I'm trying to copy & paste from hebrew wikipedia into a word document & the words are getting all jumbled out of order & sumetimes even the letters are out of order. Any ideas how I can copy the information & keep it in correct order?

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Try using paste special May 23, 2012

jlandau3 wrote:

I'm trying to copy & paste from hebrew wikipedia into a word document & the words are getting all jumbled out of order & sumetimes even the letters are out of order. Any ideas how I can copy the information & keep it in correct order?

In Word, select Edit -> Paste Special -> Unformatted text.

HTH

Yossi

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Hebrew and English text

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »