Thread poster: Avi Levi
Avi Levi
Avi Levi
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:47
English to Hebrew
May 2, 2015

Hi,

I am translating manual from English to Hebrew and there are some graphic elements in the source file (I received it only as an SDL XLIFF file) which appears on the wrong side of the final target document (presumably, their correct location for the English text).

Trados does not seem to know to move them automatically to the RTL position although the languages are defined correctly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:47
German to Swedish
+ ...
You need the layout files May 4, 2015

Without access to the layout files (Indesign or whatever), you can't be expected to debug this.

If it's just the occasional one-liner that's misplaced, the designer may have done a quick-and-dirty job.
Suppose a left-justified text object is placed with the rightmost character abutting something on the page.
Unless the translated text is exactly the same width, you'll get an unpredictable result (regardless of the RTL/LTR aspect of it). To fix this, the text object needs
... See more
Without access to the layout files (Indesign or whatever), you can't be expected to debug this.

If it's just the occasional one-liner that's misplaced, the designer may have done a quick-and-dirty job.
Suppose a left-justified text object is placed with the rightmost character abutting something on the page.
Unless the translated text is exactly the same width, you'll get an unpredictable result (regardless of the RTL/LTR aspect of it). To fix this, the text object needs to be right-justified and repositioned.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-05-04 15:11 GMT]
Collapse

Avi Levi
Avi Levi
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:47
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
Tagging of long vertical graphic element May 4, 2015

Thanks Joakim for trying to help,

Since i posted the question it was refined by my exploration of the Trados manuals ( and the job was also completed and sent to the client so now it is a question of pure learning)

The graphic element is vertical and fits into a space in the beginning of four text lines (the small symbols that appear on a remote control buttons). The space appears in the Hebrew text too but the graphics appear on the left side of the page.
So th
... See more
Thanks Joakim for trying to help,

Since i posted the question it was refined by my exploration of the Trados manuals ( and the job was also completed and sent to the client so now it is a question of pure learning)

The graphic element is vertical and fits into a space in the beginning of four text lines (the small symbols that appear on a remote control buttons). The space appears in the Hebrew text too but the graphics appear on the left side of the page.
So the question seems to be now how does the tagging of such an element looks like and how can it be moved to the correct location.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Avi
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Graphic elements location

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »