Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:15
Flemish to English
+ ...
Dec 26, 2006

Sorry to write in English. I can read Romanian and understand it, but I can not write nor speak the language.
My question:
For Spanish, you have the "Esbozo de la lengua española" as standard grammar. Does Romanian also have a standard grammar?
For French, you have the Bescherelle conjugation tables. Does such a thing exists for Romanian.
My home-town fraternizes with a village called "Rupea" in Transsylvania. To get some practise, I am thinking of visiting the village.<
... See more
Sorry to write in English. I can read Romanian and understand it, but I can not write nor speak the language.
My question:
For Spanish, you have the "Esbozo de la lengua española" as standard grammar. Does Romanian also have a standard grammar?
For French, you have the Bescherelle conjugation tables. Does such a thing exists for Romanian.
My home-town fraternizes with a village called "Rupea" in Transsylvania. To get some practise, I am thinking of visiting the village.

[Edited at 2006-12-26 16:31]
Collapse

Florin Ular
Florin Ular  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 20:15
English to Romanian
+ ...
Yes Dec 26, 2006

Yes, there is. I believe it's called "Gramatica Academiei". I hope this is what you're looking for.
Good luck!

Ioana Costache
Ioana Costache  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Alternatively.... Dec 27, 2006

Williamson wrote:
To get some practise, I am thinking of visiting the village.

Dear Williamson,

if some practice is what you need, the scholarly "Gramatica Academiei" will be quite as useful as a hole in the head (something we all wish for, while and long after reading it). I think you need a much more sensible kind of (learner's) grammar, such as this: http://seelrc.org:8080/grammar/pdf/stand_alone_romanian.pdf

Don't be put off by the first couple of pages, though

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-12-27 02:27]

Williamson
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Dec 27, 2006

Thanks. I learnt Spanish by studying the (standard) grammar and assimilating the language by living in and going to Salamanca every summer of the 80-ies.
Is there a standard vocabulary.
-
I already have a basis of Romance languages in my head.
Hope to find time to assimilate two of them.

[Edited at 2006-12-27 09:45]

Williamson
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conjugation and grammar exercises Dec 28, 2006

Are there also conjugation tables and books with grammar exercises on the market?
Also looking for a good dictionary

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 20:15
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
some resources Dec 28, 2006

Dear Williamson,

Congratulations on your decision to learn Romanian. I am sure you will soon find it a rewarding experience.

A few weeks ago, I came across an interesting project related to teaching Romanian to foreigners. Unfortunately I did not bookmark it at the time and it took some digging to find it again. It's a three level course, with exercise books and audio support and it can be downloaded free of charge from:
... See more
Dear Williamson,

Congratulations on your decision to learn Romanian. I am sure you will soon find it a rewarding experience.

A few weeks ago, I came across an interesting project related to teaching Romanian to foreigners. Unfortunately I did not bookmark it at the time and it took some digging to find it again. It's a three level course, with exercise books and audio support and it can be downloaded free of charge from: http://cnt.dnt.md/romint/undp/nivel1.php

I am not sure what your level is, but I am sure you will find it very easy and will progress very quickly through the first lessons anyway.

As far as the Romanian Academic Grammar goes, you can find some good links in this thread: http://www.proz.com/topic/42726

A collection of the main Romanian dictionaries can be found online: http://dexonline.ro/

I look forward to your first posting in Romanian on the forum

HTH and good luck.
Collapse

Williamson
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Latin Dec 29, 2006

Thanks. For languages derived from Latin, the basis is already in my head. Due to simularities, these are easier to learn.

[Edited at 2006-12-29 10:18]

Veronica Durbaca
Veronica Durbaca  Identity Verified

English to Romanian
+ ...
Cursuri de vară Jan 2, 2007

Dragă Williamson,

Ştiu ca există cursuri de vară de limbă română pentru studenţi străini la universităţile importante din România. Ştiu sigur că există la Universitatea din Iaşi.

Rupea este un orăşel care merită vizitat, ca şi celelalte cetăţi construite de saşi în România (Sighişoara, Sibiu, Homorod, Viscri). Acum, ele arată destul de trist, pentru că mulţi dintre locuitori au plecat din ţară.

Mult succes!
Veronica

Ivona Tillett
Ivona Tillett
United Kingdom
English to Romanian
+ ...
Cursuri de limba română în Regatul Unit Jan 2, 2007

De asemenea există cursuri de limba română în Regatul Unit. Ambasada României recomandă:
http://londra.mae.ro/index.php?lang=ro&id=13748

Succes.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Romanian Standard Grammar

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »