Mobile menu

Russia: How to work as a freelance translator there?
Thread poster: Vloud
Vloud
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:22
English to French
+ ...
Nov 1, 2008

Hi,

I'm looking for any information on how to work as a freelance translator in Russia (legal requirements, taxes, registration, permit of work necessary?, etc.).

I just moved here and don't know where to start, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Vloud

Direct link Reply with quote

Anton Nesteruk
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:22
English to Russian
+ ...
from? Nov 1, 2008

and where did you move here from? and where exactly to?

Anton Nesteruk
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
also Nov 1, 2008

Also, first of all - fill out your profile. And, is freelance some fresh idea that's just hit you, or you have actually done it before?

Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Vloud, Nov 2, 2008

Legal matters really depend on the fact, if you're resident or not. If you're citizen, or if you're becoming one, I could give you some hints. Actually, you are in tax heaven=)
For non-residents conditions are much tougher, but I don't know much about them.

[Edited at 2008-11-02 09:49]

Vloud
Russian Federation
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, Nov 2, 2008

I moved from France to Russia about a month ago. I am living in Moscow.

I don't have a resident status yet, but I applied for a temporary permit of residence and should get it soon.

I graduated from a translation institute in Strasbourg, France in September. I also spent time as an intern in several translation agencies over the past few years.
I am just starting off, but translation has always been my goal and it's not a fresh idea at all...

I hope I provided you with enough information to help me find how to proceed.

Thanks a lot for your help anyways.

Anton Nesteruk
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
some info Nov 2, 2008

Ok,

My colleague, Vladimir Shelukhin, recommended this link, where you will probably find much of the information you are seeking

http://www.pwc.com/extweb/pwcpublications.nsf/docid/E70BAEC31B0C17D8802571FC005699D4

It has all the general information about doing business in Russia, including various tax aspects.

Hope it helps

Maksym Kozub  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Resident != citizen Nov 2, 2008

Vadim Poguliaev wrote:

Legal matters really depend on the fact, if you're resident or not. If you're citizen, or if you're becoming one, I could give you some hints. Actually, you are in tax heaven=)
For non-residents conditions are much tougher, but I don't know much about them.
Vadim, one can actually be a Russian resident while remaining a citizen of whatever other country. Those are two different things.

[Редактировалось 2008-11-02 17:31]

Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Oops Nov 2, 2008

Maksym Kozub wrote:
Vadim, one can actually be a Russian resident while remaining a citizen of whatever other country. Those are two different things.

[Редактировалось 2008-11-02 17:31]

Indeed, my mistake

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Russia: How to work as a freelance translator there?

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs