Thread poster: Leslie Cottenje
Leslie Cottenje
Belgium
Local time: 03:32
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 19, 2009

Hi,

I am planning a huge localization project for our Russian version of a website.

I was told to pay close attention to Russian language policies. I was told that all content in English needs to be present in Russian as well.

I have a few questions concerning this:

1) Can the Russian content be a summary of the English content?
2) Does this law also apply if the English content is on .com and NOT on .ru?
3) Is there documentation about language policies I could consult?

The thing is, we are going for a global website in English (on .com) and parallel local websites, which of course will only contain local info, whereas the global website would contain all content. However, my strategy will depend largely on these language limitations.

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Not an answer... but just some doubts Jan 19, 2009

Hi Leslie,

Maybe I am missing something, however I have been always sure that the contents of websites fully depends on their owners. And it always seemed to me that this "law" was applicable irrespectively of .com, .ru, .br, .cn or any other domains. You can find lots of websites localised into various languages; quite often the localised versions are shorter than the original English text, and there is often a note: "For detailed information see the English version". However, who knows what was the reason? Maybe the site owners had no possibility of doing the translation in full.

In any case, my opinion is as follows: the volume of localisation depends exclusively on the site owners and their wishes.

Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:32
English to Russian
+ ...
I agree... Jan 19, 2009

I agree with Natalie. There is no other policy than the policy of the owner.

Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Totally agree Jan 19, 2009

There is no law about Internet in Russia (Russian Internet ???). There is no such legislative subject such as "website". One is getting acted upon in case of breaking the "real world" laws, like copyright infringements of fomentation of we-all-know-what, which definitely should not be your case.

What if one is planning to market different products in different countries, which is more than usual? What if a company has an extensive technical info that cannot be translated in whole just physically?

Try to compare www.microsoft.com and www.microsoft.ru (the latter redirects to www.microsoft.com/ru/ru - addressing at the same time the domain issue). The Russian version advertises a local conference, and the English version does not urge Windows users to legalize their counterfeit software copies...

sarandor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:32
English to Russian
+ ...
Microsoft Russian Localization Guidelines Jan 19, 2009

Microsoft's website has style guides for many languages:

- Style guides are a collection of rules that define language and style conventions for a specific language. These rules usually include general localization guidelines, information on language style and usage in technical publications, and information on market specific data formats. We currently offer style guides for over 80 languages for you to download for free.

You can download them from:

http://www.microsoft.com/language/en/us/download.mspx

The Russian guide is not very informative, in my opinion, but it might still be useful.

Leslie Cottenje
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 19, 2009

Thanks for the comments.

I recently started this job, and this very project had been started up a year ago. It got stuck due to these language issues and business issues.

Now I got the 'go-ahead', but the first thing I was told by my Russian collegue (on our St-Petersburg location)was that all English content HAD to be translated into Russian, and that this was specified in the "Law of the Russian Federation on Mass Media".

I found it very weird, so I read the entire thing. However, I couldn't find anything regarding language, that's why I wanted to check here.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
2 cents Jan 19, 2009

I think that referring to an allegedly applicable law seems to be a polite way to increase volumes of translations to be ordered.

Leslie Cottenje
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Russian translator Jan 19, 2009

Which again would be odd, since translations will be taken care of by a Russian translator we yet have to find, and will be sought independently by me.

Anyway, thank you for the insights, I can now proceed with the IA!

(Some time soon I will do a job posting on proz for this project, so anyone interested can already provide me their contact details).

Leslie Cottenje
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Legal implications Feb 11, 2009

Just to let you know, there actually is a law that states that all information on a Russian domain (.ru) has to be in Russian. If you offer English information on this Russian domain, it must be translated into Russian as well.

When you work with non-country-specific domains (like .com) the law doesn't apply.

Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Law ??? Feb 11, 2009

Leslie Cottenje wrote:
...there actually is a law...

Could you please provide a reference or a link?

vertas  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Russian
+ ...
Russian Feb 11, 2009

Boris Kimel wrote:

Leslie Cottenje wrote:
...there actually is a law...

Could you please provide a reference or a link?

took in mind. But not agreed.

Leslie Cottenje
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Legislation Feb 11, 2009

According to article 3 of the Russian Federation Law No. 53-FZ dated 1 June 2005 “On state language” The state language of the Russian Federation shall be subject to compulsory use in advertising (subitem 11 of item 1 of article 3);

(item 2 of article 3) if in instances mentioned in item 1 … foreign language is used together with the state language of the RF Russian texts… and foreign language texts… must be identical in matter and technical design, executed legibly, audio information (incl. audio and audiovisual materials, TV – and radio-broadcats) in Russian and the said information … in foreign language … must also be identical in matter, sounding and mode of communication of information.

Apparently websites are subject to these advertising laws.

The information itself comes from a legal agency.

Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Doubts Feb 11, 2009

Leslie Cottenje wrote:
Apparently websites are subject to these advertising laws.

"Apparently" looks quite a weak legal argument, to begin with. There is no domain-wise differentiation too

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
As I see it Feb 12, 2009

It's not about site contents, it's about ADVERTISING.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multlingual website with Russian

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs