Mobile menu

Cecenian sentence in Russian text
Thread poster: Elisa Comito

Elisa Comito  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:49
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 12, 2009

Sorry to write in English but I don't know Russian. I am asking your help, even if the sentence is Cecenian, because a friend of mine found it in a Russian text she is translating.

The sentence is:

хьо нохчи вац

She assumes the meaning might be "Are you Cecenian or not?" but she isn't sure.

I would be grateful for any help or if any body might suggest whom I might address who knows Cecenian.

Thank you,
Elisa

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Korobov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:49
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
maybe «Ты не чеченец, что ли?» Feb 12, 2009

see http://www.novayagazeta.ru/data/2006/61/16.html (in Russian)

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:49
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
It should mean^ Feb 12, 2009

“I am not Chechen”. At least this page says: «Так что первая чеченская фраза, которую следует выучить русскому на чеченском языке, звучит так: “Хо нохчи вац! Гаскхи ву!” — “Я не чеченец, я русский”.». This means: “The first phase, that a Russian must learn in Chechen, sounds as ‘Хо нохчи вац! Гаскхи ву!’ — ‘I am not Chechen! I am Russian!’” (However, one of the comments to that posting has a correction, stating that the above phrase means: “You are not Chechen”).

[Edited at 2009-02-12 09:24 GMT]

Elisa Comito  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:49
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 12, 2009

Thank you very much to both! I'll give the information and the links you provided to my collegue, who can read Russian (but she is not on Proz, that's why I put the question for her).

Have a nice day,

Elisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cecenian sentence in Russian text

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs