Каковы могут быть расценки за перевод/редактирование слайдов?
Thread poster: Svetlana Welch
Svetlana Welch
Svetlana Welch
Local time: 23:33
English to Russian
Nov 18, 2003

Any ideas/suggestions on how much should I charge for translating/editing slides? Per word or per slide?

Thank you.

artyan
artyan
United States
Local time: 20:33
English to Russian
+ ...
Per slide works best for me Nov 18, 2003

Since handling PowerPoint involves tasks other than just translation (e.g. formatting, fonts, image manipulations, etc.), it is best, in my opinion, to charge per slide. Complex imaging should be charged by the hour. Also, if the presentation contains slide notes, these should be charged per word.

To sum it up, quotes for PowerPoint presentations need to be prepared very carefully. Another option is to give one 'generic' price per slide, whatever the slide contains.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 22:33
English to Russian
+ ...
See the job first Nov 18, 2003

After checking the job I charge either per word or per hour. Few graphs with lots of words obviously make it more beneficial to charge per word. When charging per hour I average 3 slides/hour, sometimes up to 5 since presentations can be really simple to primitive. This is "personal". I love Powerpoint, it is a child's play to me, I handle it very fast so I never lose. My friend, for example, is "NA VY" with PP, hates it but sometimes he has to give in to the long-term client's demands. So he ch... See more
After checking the job I charge either per word or per hour. Few graphs with lots of words obviously make it more beneficial to charge per word. When charging per hour I average 3 slides/hour, sometimes up to 5 since presentations can be really simple to primitive. This is "personal". I love Powerpoint, it is a child's play to me, I handle it very fast so I never lose. My friend, for example, is "NA VY" with PP, hates it but sometimes he has to give in to the long-term client's demands. So he charges per slide and always bitches that he spends more time than he can charge. So, funny enough, making money in PowerPoint really depends on your relationship with it. After all, you can't charge 1 hour per pre-created slide regardless of it's complexity, and there will always be some slides that will take no more than 5 minutes - titles, 2-3 bullet points like 1. Production, 2.Marketing, 3. Sale etc. Somehow for me it always balances off right without nasty negotiations about 2-3 hours of formatting.

About editing - for

a) text-prevailing slides with some easy graphs charge your regular editing rate for actual time spent. I doubt the client would go for more.

b)heavy-graphs and a client who has an office with typesetters - I would recommend to edit on paper and let them do the dirty work, or agree that you will do the editing in the file with "dirty formatting" and their typesetters will polish it. That's what I do, especially when I have better job at hand. Works with my agents just fine. Typesetters' time is cheaper anyway. Slides managed twice by somebody else may contain hidden problems and poor unmanageable formatting, you may hit some really stupid and frustrating difficulties that shouldn't have had been there in the first place, and most of the time you will not be able to charge for all the time you'll kill fixing it. If you want to hold on to all the time you can get and charge for - then regular editing rate plus formatting, as much as you can negotiate for.

Gosh, now I know even better why I work with agencies only:):):).

[Edited at 2003-11-18 10:07]

[Edited at 2003-11-18 10:57]

[Edited at 2003-11-18 10:58]
Collapse

Svetlana Welch
Svetlana Welch
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 19, 2003

Thank you, Irene.

After checking the job I charge either per word or per hour. Few graphs with lots of words obviously make it more beneficial to charge per word. When charging per hour I average 3 slides/hour, sometimes up to 5 since presentations can be really simple to primitive. This is "personal". I love Powerpoint, it is a child's play to me, I handle it very fast so I never lose. My friend, for example, is "NA VY" with PP, hates it but sometimes he has to give in to the long
... See more
Thank you, Irene.

After checking the job I charge either per word or per hour. Few graphs with lots of words obviously make it more beneficial to charge per word. When charging per hour I average 3 slides/hour, sometimes up to 5 since presentations can be really simple to primitive. This is "personal". I love Powerpoint, it is a child's play to me, I handle it very fast so I never lose. My friend, for example, is "NA VY" with PP, hates it but sometimes he has to give in to the long-term client's demands. So he charges per slide and always bitches that he spends more time than he can charge. So, funny enough, making money in PowerPoint really depends on your relationship with it. After all, you can't charge 1 hour per pre-created slide regardless of it's complexity, and there will always be some slides that will take no more than 5 minutes - titles, 2-3 bullet points like 1. Production, 2.Marketing, 3. Sale etc. Somehow for me it always balances off right without nasty negotiations about 2-3 hours of formatting.

About editing - for

a) text-prevailing slides with some easy graphs charge your regular editing rate for actual time spent. I doubt the client would go for more.

b)heavy-graphs and a client who has an office with typesetters - I would recommend to edit on paper and let them do the dirty work, or agree that you will do the editing in the file with "dirty formatting" and their typesetters will polish it. That's what I do, especially when I have better job at hand. Works with my agents just fine. Typesetters' time is cheaper anyway. Slides managed twice by somebody else may contain hidden problems and poor unmanageable formatting, you may hit some really stupid and frustrating difficulties that shouldn't have had been there in the first place, and most of the time you will not be able to charge for all the time you'll kill fixing it. If you want to hold on to all the time you can get and charge for - then regular editing rate plus formatting, as much as you can negotiate for.

Gosh, now I know even better why I work with agencies only:):):).

[Edited at 2003-11-18 10:07]

[Edited at 2003-11-18 10:57]

[Edited at 2003-11-18 10:58][/quote]
Collapse

Svetlana Welch
Svetlana Welch
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Nov 19, 2003

I appreciate your advice.

quote]artyan wrote:

Since handling PowerPoint involves tasks other than just translation (e.g. formatting, fonts, image manipulations, etc.), it is best, in my opinion, to charge per slide. Complex imaging should be charged by the hour. Also, if the presentation contains slide notes, these should be charged per word.

To sum it up, quotes for PowerPoint presentations need to be prepared very carefully. Another option is to gi
... See more
I appreciate your advice.

quote]artyan wrote:

To sum it up, quotes for PowerPoint presentations need to be prepared very carefully. Another option is to give one 'generic' price per slide, whatever the slide contains.[/quote]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Каковы могут быть расценки за перевод/редактирование слайдов?

Translation news in Russian Federation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »