Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:44
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 17, 2004

Since Friday, Outlook Express has failed to connect me to my ISP for mail. Have downloaded "Pegasus mail", which is fine for most purposes but cannot cope with Cyrillic or unicode. Does anyone know of a system which can? I could do it on webmail of course, but I'd rather have a computer-based mail handler.
Извините за то, что пишу по-английски.

Alexander Demyanov
Alexander Demyanov
Local time: 07:44
English
+ ...
Outlook, Netscape. Feb 17, 2004

Jack Doughty wrote:

Since Friday, Outlook Express has failed to connect me to my ISP for mail.

1. This doesn't sound right. Outlook Express generally shouldn't care what your ISP is. Must be something w/settings. What is the error message?

2. MS Outlook (not "express") works fine for sure. Netscape mail client should work too (just haven't used it for some while).

Akon2
Akon2
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:44
Russian to English
+ ...
The Bat..... Feb 17, 2004

Jack Doughty wrote:
Does anyone know of a system which can?

http://www.ritlabs.com/ru/the_bat/index.html

Vladimir Lioukaikine (X)
Vladimir Lioukaikine (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:44
Russian
+ ...
Летучая мышь Feb 17, 2004

Try "The Bat" http://www.ritlabs.com/

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Becky! Internet Mail - very good email client Feb 17, 2004

Becky!

Features

You can create multiple mailboxes, of course. Moreover, you can create multiple "profiles" for each mailbox. This feature is especially useful if you use laptop computer. You can switch between several different settings, like "LAN" and dialup, for the same mailbox.

New protocols are supported -- IMAP4rev1 for e-mail and LDAP for the address book.

Fast! You can manage thousands of e-mail at your fingertip.

You can write HTML e-mail with Becky!. If you have Microsoft Internet Explorer ver5 or higher installed, Becky! is a complete HTML enabled e-mail client.

Flexible template capability. You can prepare standardized e-mail format for business and personal e-mail. You can also create HTML template, of course.

With unique "Reminder" capability, you will receive e-mail from "you" on scheduled date. You can even schedule sending e-mail messages to someone else. You don't have to remember your friends' birthdays -- Becky! does.

Powerful "Filtering Manager" -- You can sort messages into folders according to the filtering rules. You can define unlimited and/or conditions for one filtering rule.

"Mailing Lists Manager" helps you to organize multiple mailing list subscriptions. You don't have to search past e-mail just to find how to unsubscribe the list.

"Plug-In" Interface enables third parties to create useful plug-ins to customize Becky! for your particular needs. Actually, Becky!'s voice message and PGP functionality are the plug-ins.

etc. Of course, Ver.2 inherits Ver.1's numerous convenient features.

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Outlook Feb 17, 2004

Александр Демьянов wrote:

MS Outlook (not "express") works fine for sure.

I use Outlook (not "express") and am quite happy with it.

Nikolai Muraviev
Nikolai Muraviev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
В России многие "летают" на The Bat'e Feb 18, 2004

Vladimir Lioukaikine wrote:

Try "The Bat" http://www.ritlabs.com/

Популярная программа.

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Спасибо за совет Feb 18, 2004

I've looked at a lot of recommended websites and downloaded from two: "Becky!" recommended by Nikita in this forum and "Eudora" recommended by Sergei Tumanov in the General Technical Support forum.
I have decided that Eudora suits me best.
Thank you all for your advice.

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Update on email systems Feb 21, 2004

I got Eudora into some sort of working order and can manage quite well with it, but I thought I would try The Bat! as well. I now think it will probably prove better than Eudora. I have had some valuable assistance with it from Владимир Люкайкин, for which I am most grateful.

I have also now discovered that Pegasus Mail, which I thought had no Cyrillic, can be set to Cyrillic Windows as its default encoding, so that is usable too.

None of these systems
... See more
I got Eudora into some sort of working order and can manage quite well with it, but I thought I would try The Bat! as well. I now think it will probably prove better than Eudora. I have had some valuable assistance with it from Владимир Люкайкин, for which I am most grateful.

I have also now discovered that Pegasus Mail, which I thought had no Cyrillic, can be set to Cyrillic Windows as its default encoding, so that is usable too.

None of these systems has anything about Unicode. A friend of mine using AoL cannot understand my Cyrillic because of this, so I have just recommended The Bat! to him.

Just tried reinstalling Outlook Express. It made no difference, it still won't connect to my server (obviously I have checked the account settings thoroughly and they are exactly as they always were).

Thanks again to all of you for your help.

[Edited at 2004-02-21 00:54]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Email handler other than Outlook Express to cope with Cyrillic

Translation news in Russian Federation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »