Mobile menu

Qwerty or Yaherty keyboard conversion
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:00
Danish to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2002

I did have an old reference site for the conversion of Windows Ru keyboard into the more user-friendly qwerty or Yaherty, I believe it is called, keyboard. MS does not provide it, but there is a procedure for doing this. Where can it be obtained nowadays?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:00
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Website for Russian "student" qwerty keyboard Mar 26, 2002

Try

http-gwis.circ.gwu.edu~slavic-cyrilize.html

It consists of an article on the subject of Cyrillic keyboards,

some way down which there is a link for the downloading of \"studkbd.exe\".

The downloaded file gives full instructions. I installed this

keyboard and find it entirely satisfactory.

I much prefer it to the standard Russian keyboard, which I never got used to using because I hardly ever needed to at the time, though I need it more nowadays.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:00
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Dear Yngve, Mar 26, 2002

If you prefer Russian phonetic keyboard (YaWERTY), you can download it from this site:

http://www.siber.org/sib/russify/ms-windows/keyboard/

You\'ll also find installation instructions there.

Cheers,

Natalia

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-26 16:41 ]

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:00
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
User-friendly explained. Mar 26, 2002

More user-friendly to typists who use the qwerty keyboard configuration, which would be the majority out there, when we are dealing with European languages, i.e., even the Eastern Europeans use qwerty-modified keyboards. Why the Russians cannot adapt to the rest of Europe is a mystery to me. Is the non-qwerty in any way faster? Well, they have, in that Yawerty is available as an alternative, only MS does not get it, since it offers not the Yawerty option.

It would be interesting to know whether Yawerty is being used to any significant degree in Russia proper.

Thanks for the site. Hopefully it will work.

Yngve

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Cyrillic "Student" keyboard file Mar 26, 2002

I thought I had a link for this but it doesn\'t work any more. However, I still have the file I downloaded from it. It was freeware, so no copyright is involved. I could email it to anyone who wants it.

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Cyrillic "student" keyboard Mar 26, 2002

I use one of these which I downloaded (as freeware) from a site now apparently extinct, but I still have the executable file for it and could email it to anyone interested. It is not the same filename as the one from the site which Natalie suggests, but is probably very similar.

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
New URL for Cyrillic "student" keyboard Mar 27, 2002

I just posted this under another topic heading \"Cyrillic encodings\", thinking it was this one, so in case it doesn\'t get moved to this topic, here is is again:

I have just found the current URL for the \"studkbd.exe\" file I referred to earlier. It is:

http://gwis.circ.gwu.edu/~slavic/cyrilize.html#keyboards

But I am still willing to email it myself to anyone who wants it.

Lilian Vardanyan
Greece
Local time: 10:00
Greek to English
+ ...
Is there a program working with Win XP? Jul 27, 2002

Dear professionals, I was working with the Phonetic Russian all this time in the office where I had Win2000. I have changed the PC, simply I have bought a laptop which is on the Win XP and neither of this programs doesen\'t work with it. What shall I do? The usual Russian keyboard is too inconvinient...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Qwerty or Yaherty keyboard conversion

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs