Cyrillic in Web Browser
Thread poster: marina kustova
marina kustova
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:17
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 3, 2004

I am experiencing difficulties in typing into text boxes on this site and others in Cyrillic.

None of the encoding options (Cyrillic Windows, Unicode, KOI etc.) works.

Can anyone help?

Marina

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Very odd Sep 3, 2004

I presume you must have enabled Russian and added Russian keyboard in Regional & Language options of Windows.
Maybe a change of browser would help? I have Internet Explorer and Mozilla, and have recently tried Firefox, which is also very good and easy to download (free), being only 4.7 MB, even without broadband, e.g. from http://texturizer.net/firefox/download.html - there are several other download sites too. But I have never had this problem with any of these three browsers.

[Edited at 2004-09-03 19:33]

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:17
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Marina Sep 3, 2004

I am moving this thread to the Russian forum - you will get help much faster there.

Could you please give us some more details about your operating system and browser? Do you use Windows? Which version? Do you have problems with Cyrillics in other programs or only in the browser? Which browser do you use? Do you have problems with READING Cyrillics in your browser? It is impossible to suggest anything not knowing these details.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:17
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Marina, are you there? Sep 5, 2004

Do you still need help?

marina kustova
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cyrillic Browser Probs Sep 11, 2004

Natalie wrote:

Do you still need help?

Yes I do. I am using Internet Explorer v 6 with Windows XP. I can read Cyrillic that other people have posted but cannot type it.

This only happens in the browser and all other applications are fine.

Marina

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
A couple of suggestions Sep 11, 2004

I doubt if it would help, but here's one thing you could try:

Start > Control Panel > Internet Options; General tab, click on Languages button, add Russian to language preferences.

I suggest you try one or two of the forums on Windows that exist on the Internet. I had a problem with Internet Explorer when I first got this computer with Windows XP, which my supplier couldn't solve (all-white backgrounds, huge fonts - that's why I switched to Mozilla), and it was finally solved for me by someone at this forum:

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

You might also duplicate the question to the Windows Operating Systems forum here (is that where Natalie transferred it from in the first place?). Jason or one of the other experts might be able to help.

[Edited at 2004-09-11 19:20]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cyrillic in Web Browser

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs