Thread poster: Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:10
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
May 19, 2002

There was a forum discussion on these keyboards some time ago, but I thought I\'d better start a new one to bring it up again.

I am perfectly happy with the one I am using on a computer running Windows 98, but I recently bought a laptop with Windows XP Home Edition installed on it, and my present one will not work with this because Windows XP has different keyboard files and language management system. I did a search on Microsoft (useless of course, it always is) and then on Google, and came up with a useful site at http://clover.slavic.pitt.edu/~aatseel/fonts/wincyrillic html

where I found only one keyboard stated to be usable with Windows XP: \"Homophonic keyboard for Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP\" by Gyula Zsigiri. I downloaded this and tried it, but couldn\'t get it to produce anything but question marks, and while it was available as an option, even if not selected, the standard Russian keyboard would also produce nothing but question marks. So I had to uninstall it. The above site has links to other sites dealing with the subject but I couldn\'t find anything useful on them.

I\'m sure I\'d get used to the standard Russian keyboard in time if I had to, but I\'d prefer a \"Yawerty\" option. Does anyone know of one that works with Windows XP?

Direct link Reply with quote

Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 12:10
English to Russian
+ ...
I also just bought a new laptop with Windows XP Home Edition on it May 19, 2002

And my Russian keyboard is working (it\'s йцукен, though) - I know this is not an answer to your question, but rather a statement that if you do decide to go with the standard \"йцукен\", rest assured that it WILL work no problem.

Although since the very beginning I have been suffering with switching in between hte languages. I wrote to the Toshiba support center and they said that XP Home Edition initially had problems with keyboards that have to be fixed, one of the ways is to go and download the latest version of BIOS (don\'t ask me what that is!).

Check you BIOS for the heck of it.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-19 19:45 ]

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problem with йцукен May 20, 2002

Thanks, Olga. I have had no problem with the standard Russian keyboard other than as described in my first posting.

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Проблема решена May 20, 2002

Robert Burns kindly sent me an email giving me a link through which he had found a way of solving this problem himself. It is:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PaulGor/kbd_eng.htm

Paul Gorodyansky provides (free) software enabling a phonetic keyboard to be set up, and also a link for more free software for editing the keyboard. I used both, as his phonetic keyboard was not quite the same as the one I was used to, and I now have my Windows XP laptop set up with exactly the keyboard I wanted.

Lilian Vardanyan
Greece
Local time: 13:10
Greek to English
+ ...
Dear Jack!Thank you! Jul 28, 2002

Frankly speaking I haven\'t tried the program yet.I am so thankful to you! Let me try it and tell you about the results!

Lilian Vardanyan
Greece
Greek to English
+ ...
I have just tried to use the link. Jul 28, 2002

Probably, I have to read it more accurately as by the moment I haven\'t reached the the wanted result.I just don\'t understand well the moment with the reprogramming.Thank you, Jack,

Regards,

Lily.

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re Lill trying to use the link Jul 29, 2002

I had quite a problem myself getting the keyboard as I wanted it using the keyboard planner, but I finally got there by trial and error. If I remember rightly, I thought at first that by changing a key in upper case, it would be changed in lower case as well, but this is not so, you have to change each key separately in each of the two cases.

Sorry I can\'t be more helpful, but having got it the way I want it, I am reluctant to go back into the keyboard planner and start experimenting, for fear I\'ll lose my present perfectly satisfactory keyboard and be unable to recover it!

xxxVlad993
Russian to English
+ ...
Thank you. Jul 30, 2002

I\'ve changed my MS RUS keyboard to phonetic, was planing to do it long time ago... (under Windows XP)

Works goog!!!

Tank\'s everybody!!!

Lilian Vardanyan
Greece
Greek to English
+ ...
Problem with Installation! Jul 31, 2002

I don\'t know what I do wrong, but following the instructions step by step, I still haven\'t reached the result. Now, I don\'t have even the Greek...

Lilian Vardanyan
Greece
Greek to English
+ ...
The Problem is Solved! Aug 2, 2002

Dear Jack, I have come over the difficulty of installation! It works fine now! Thank you for the link!

I asked my Russian friend, who is a programmer here, in Greece, why did the Russians create such a keyboard as well as all the other languages\' keyboards coinside with the Latin characters? He says he doesen\'t know exactly, but as always, such type of decisions were taken by the people completely outside of the sphere of the Electronics and Programming.

Regards,

Lily.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\"Student\" (\"YaWERTY\") keyboard for Windows XP

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Lilt
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs