Need Help Russifying Mac Keyboard
Thread poster: gtreyger (X)
gtreyger (X)
gtreyger (X)  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 9, 2005

I found a way to get russian font, however I don't know how to type on a real russian keyboard. On my windows PC I had a program that allowed me to switch the keys around to make a translitirated keyboard, i. e. T=T, W=SH, Q=YA, etc. Is there a program like that for MAC OS X? Please help, because I am really bad at translitirating, and people are making fun of me

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:23
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe this will help. Mar 9, 2005

I have no experience of Macs but I found this (from Google) at
http://www.friends-partners.org/partners/rusmac/kbd.html#share
(For some reason, though I typed "share" correctly, it comes out with a gap in it which should not be there and which I cannot delete by editing this page. Your will have to copy and paste it and eliminate the gap.)

Now avail
... See more
I have no experience of Macs but I found this (from Google) at
http://www.friends-partners.org/partners/rusmac/kbd.html#share
(For some reason, though I typed "share" correctly, it comes out with a gap in it which should not be there and which I cannot delete by editing this page. Your will have to copy and paste it and eliminate the gap.)

Now available for Mac OS X! Introducing:

S H A R E W A R E
"Student" Keyboard Layouts for
KOI8 and Apple Standard Cyrillic Fonts
* Identical layouts for both font standards
* Intuitive qwerty-like "student" layout, NOT Russian typewriter!
* Easy to use
* Color and b/w icons for Keyboard menu
KOI8 layout Apple Standard Cyrillic layout
* Shareware
Two keyboard layouts are designed for two different font standards, KOI8 and Apple Standard Cyrillic, and they will allow you to type in Russian regardless of what kind of font you are using. Furthermore, the layouts are identical, so you won't have to memorize two completely different schemes of character layouts. They are qwerty-like phonetically based, where Latin and Cyrillic letters of similar sound are assigned to the same keys. The layout is based in part on a standard "student" layout suggested by the Ad Hoc Committee on Standardization of Computer Keyboards for Cyrillic of the American Association of Teachers of Slavic and East European Languages (AATSEEL). The layout is illustrated below:

Scherr, Barry. "Final Report: Ad Hoc Committee on Standardization of Computer Keyboards for Cyrillic." SEEJ 29, no. 1 (1985): 84-95.
Shareware Notice
Copyright (c) 1995-2002 Matvey Palchuk
It is not customary to distribute keyboard layouts as shareware. I will try to explain my reasons for doing so in this case. I believe that the server "Russification of Macintosh" itself is of significantly greater value than the keyboard layouts. Initial construction and currently ongoing maintenance of the collection is fairly time-consuming. If you visit this site regularly, you will notice very timely updates. I am receiving a steadily growing amount of e-mail on the subject and I am sure that many of you also know that I try my best to assist with any questions you might have. Returning to the keyboards, "student" phonetic layouts are simply not very commonly available on the net, and the ones out there are not as intuitive as one would expect them to be. The layout in this package was designed with an investment of time and research to make sure the resulting product will be intuitive and very easy to learn and use. That is why I feel justified in releasing this software as shareware - you may consider it as both shared software and "server-ware!"

[Edited at 2005-03-10 07:34]
Collapse

gtreyger (X)
gtreyger (X)  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Worked like a charm!!! Заработало!!! Mar 10, 2005

Thank you very much! The program works, and I can type in Russian again! Еще раз, огромное спасибо!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need Help Russifying Mac Keyboard

Translation news in Russian Federation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »