Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 16:25
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 14, 2002

Уважаемые, коллеги!

Рекомендую всем обратить внимание на новый топик \"indemnify (agency) and hold harmless\": Would you sign such an agreement?\", который появился сегодня на форуме в разделе \"Being independent\".

Вот его содержание:

\"Would like to hear your views on this.

I have been sent a very lo
... See more
Уважаемые, коллеги!

Рекомендую всем обратить внимание на новый топик \"indemnify (agency) and hold harmless\": Would you sign such an agreement?\", который появился сегодня на форуме в разделе \"Being independent\".

Вот его содержание:

\"Would like to hear your views on this.

I have been sent a very long contract of agreement which I consider totally unacceptable.

One of the paragraphs in this agreement reads:

\"Translator shall indemnify XXXX and hold it harmless against all liability or loss, and against all claims or actions based upon or arising out of damage or injury to persons or property caused by or sustained in connection with the performance of the contract or by conditions created thereby, or based upon any violation of any statute, ordinance, and the defense of any such claims or actions. Specifically, Translator shall indemnify and hold XXXX harmless in any suit initiated against XXXX as a result of an inaccurate or unacceptable translation, and shall be liable for all costs, including, reasonable attorneys fees, expended by XXXX in defense of such suit\"

Я сегодня тоже получил контракт точно с таким абзацем. Думаю, что и многие из вас (данная работа была предложена на Прозе буквально вчера).

Почти все переводчики, высказавшие свое мнение на том форуме, считают, как и автор постинга, данное положение контракта неприемлемым.

Я в этом не большой специалист, и потому нахожусь в полной растерянности: подписывать контракт или нет? Может быть более опытные коллеги подскажут, что делать и разъяснят, чем опасно для нас (независимых переводчиков) вышеупомянутое положение контракта.

Заранее благодарен за помощь,

Никита

PS Только поскорее, пожалуйста, а то может там ничего опасного и нет, а контракт уплывет

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-15 11:39 ]
Collapse

Indemnity my foot! Jun 15, 2002

I\'d say: Sign it, why not?

Such a document has NO LEGAL VALIDITY whatsoever, and the companies who require that you sign these unethical waivers are completely out in left la-la land, legislation-wise.

Here is the reason why:

By hiring a translator, the company assumes responsibility for his or her work. Similarly, when GM hires an engineer, it\'s GM who is ultimately responsible
... See more
I\'d say: Sign it, why not?

Such a document has NO LEGAL VALIDITY whatsoever, and the companies who require that you sign these unethical waivers are completely out in left la-la land, legislation-wise.

Here is the reason why:

By hiring a translator, the company assumes responsibility for his or her work. Similarly, when GM hires an engineer, it\'s GM who is ultimately responsible for that engineer\'s actions. However, GM doesn\'t require that their engineers sign waivers and disclaimers, the reason being because they know these waivers won\'t hold up in court anyway: If my GM truck \"spontaneously\" combusts or the safety bags go off three minutes after the collision, guess who I\'m gonna sue? Try as they might, they will not be able to shuffle the responsibility around by saying \"Oh, that\'s not us, that\'s those stupid engineers we\'ve hired, sue them instead!\" — the customer simply won\'t buy this reasoning. When a customer buys GM products, he enters a business relationship not with Joe Sliderule the underpaid and overworked engineer, of whose existence he has no clue, but with GM itself. And if GM wishes so, it may later sue it\'s engineers (good luck on that one, because in order to win they will have to prove criminal intent on the engineers\' part).

So, my advice is: It\'s totally UP TO YOU whether or not you sign the waiver (frankly, you might as well do, what the heck? Why not? And in reward, you\'ll get the job!)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-15 08:27 ]
Collapse

Dell (X)
Dell (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
my humble opinion Jun 15, 2002

Nikita, I am not sure my new browser will cope with Cyrillic, so I reply in English. If I were you, I would only accept that clause if my professional liability insurance covered the same. Otherwise, with the money we are making, why take responsibility for the well-being of the Dual Monarchy, as the good soldier Schweik would put it.

P.S. for Argat: Мозилла работает с кир
... See more
Nikita, I am not sure my new browser will cope with Cyrillic, so I reply in English. If I were you, I would only accept that clause if my professional liability insurance covered the same. Otherwise, with the money we are making, why take responsibility for the well-being of the Dual Monarchy, as the good soldier Schweik would put it.

P.S. for Argat: Мозилла работает с кириллицей!

P.S.S. Собственно, вся суть этого положения - вот в этой фразе: Specifically, Translator shall indemnify and hold XXXX harmless in any suit initiated against XXXX as a result of an inaccurate or unacceptable translation...

Мне кажется, что неверно думать, что никакой суд не примет это как законный договор.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-15 05:52 ]
Collapse

xeni (X)
xeni (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
Why бы и not? :) Jun 15, 2002

Думаю, что это положение контракта законной силы не имеет, как уже было отмечено, а кроме того, если заказчик западный (а похоже, что так), ну кто из их клиентов предпочтет судиться с Вами, живущим на пост-советском пространстве, а не с ними? С ними-то проще... Это было МНО. Решат�... See more
Думаю, что это положение контракта законной силы не имеет, как уже было отмечено, а кроме того, если заказчик западный (а похоже, что так), ну кто из их клиентов предпочтет судиться с Вами, живущим на пост-советском пространстве, а не с ними? С ними-то проще... Это было МНО. Решать, разумеется, Вам.

P.S. Dell wrote:

Собственно, вся суть этого положения - вот в этой фразе: Specifically, Translator shall indemnify and hold XXXX harmless in any suit initiated against XXXX as a result of an inaccurate or unacceptable translation...

Мне кажется, что неверно думать, что никакой суд не примет это как законный договор.

Да, пожалуй Делл права... Да только все равно им с Вами в Литве очень сложно будет иметь дело Абсолютно не уговариваю, естественно, просто высказываю свою точку зрения. Будь я в России, я бы подписала. Хотя, может, Литва уже сильно продвинулась? Но тут Вам лучше судить.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-15 15:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-15 15:36 ]
Collapse

Igor Kreknin
Igor Kreknin  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Making a compromise Jun 16, 2002

I guess it\'s a normal contract, normal practice, and this contract is valid and binding. In general, concluding contracts with responsibility clauses is a normal business practice

If you buy a product that then turns out to be faulty, you may address your claim to the dealer sold the product. The further events depend on who is the owner of this product: the manufacturer or the developer. The engineers could order to produce
... See more
I guess it\'s a normal contract, normal practice, and this contract is valid and binding. In general, concluding contracts with responsibility clauses is a normal business practice

If you buy a product that then turns out to be faulty, you may address your claim to the dealer sold the product. The further events depend on who is the owner of this product: the manufacturer or the developer. The engineers could order to produce this finished product at an enterprise (manufacturer), receive it, and then sell it through dealers. Thus, the responsibility may rest with either the manufacturer or the developer (engineers). Everything just depends on the contracts concluded between them.

I heard of several cases (but I don\'t know results ) large companies (banks) had brought actions against translation agencies. That is, there is such a practice, and this variant is quite probable. Any customer may conclude with translation agencies contracts stipulating their responsibility. Both such agreements between legal persons and such agreements between natural persons (translators) and legal persons (TA) will be valid. Thus, this responsibility is shifted from the translation agencies to the translators.

If a translator will write \'one hundred US dollars\' instead of \'one hundred thousand US dollars\', who will be responsible under this contract? This mistake can be equated to unintentional negligence, deceit, misrepresentation, forgery, etc. For example, surgeons are responsible for diagnosing illness and providing medical or surgical treatment to patients. And that\'s normal.

But contracts always stipulate maximum fines, penalties, etc. It is also a normal practice In the same way, it is necessary to act and in this case. It is always necessary to search for a compromise, and you may stipulate the maximum amount of fines that may be imposed. And I hope it will help you to build up a reputation as a professional translator, to increase your work load and incomes.
Collapse

Tatiana Neroni (X)
Tatiana Neroni (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
Проконсультировалась с адвокатом. Jun 17, 2002

Его мнение: положение о hold harmless and indemnify ИМЕЕТ законную силу.

Оно обычно принимается людьми, имеющими business liability insurance, покрывающей такое положение.

Без business liability insurance подписывать такой контракт - безумие.

Приобретать business liability insurance для цел
... See more
Его мнение: положение о hold harmless and indemnify ИМЕЕТ законную силу.

Оно обычно принимается людьми, имеющими business liability insurance, покрывающей такое положение.

Без business liability insurance подписывать такой контракт - безумие.

Приобретать business liability insurance для целей этого контракта - не знаю, не знаю. Мне кажется, столько не заплатят, чтобы покрыть расходы.

===

Добавление - Ксана, разница в том, что по контракту НЕ устанавливаются отношения как employer and employee (в этом случае employer is vicariously liable for negligent actions of employee made in the course of his/her work). Этот контракт подчеркивает, что таких отношений НЕ БУДЕТ, а будут отношения employer- independent contractor, и здесь contractor (переводчик) берет на себя все обязательства и ответственность.

Хочу обратить внимание еще на одну подробность этого контракта (если речь идет о контракте, обсуждаемом protolmach, который был разослан многим переводчикам безымянно).

По контракту фирма оставляет за собой право УДЕРЖАТЬ ВСЕ ПОЛАГАЮЩИЕСЯ ПЕРЕВОДЧИКУ ДЕНЬГИ за уже проделанную работу в случае нарушения контракта (не сказано, большого или малого нарушения - а нарушением там может быть всё, что угодно, по усмотрению работодателя). Вот это как раз незаконно (во всяком случае, в США). Даже breaching party, defaulting party должен получить в этом случае reasonable value of services (rationale: preventing unjust enrichment of non-breaching party), и кстати, reasonable value of services вычисляется по средним ценам рынка, так что если стороны работали по демпинговым ценам, переводчик, нарушивший контракт, все равно получит по средним ценам рынка (неплохо), а уж размеры damages of the Employer и вообще было ли нарушение контракта и какое и какой ущерб и меры по возмещению - должен решать не Наниматель единолично, а суд.

Я этот контракт НЕ подписала. Думала предложить фирме включить положение об авансовых платежах переводчику (работа сдается по предоплаченным частям), но в принципе, они все равно не согласятся - только все силы в свисток пускать...

Но в случае положения об авансовых платежах силы нанимателя и переводчика более-менее уравниваются. Переводчику СНАЧАЛА платят за труд, а потом уже, если не понравится работа, могут взыскать деньги назад по суду. Даже в этом случае на переводчике огромный финансовый риск - в случае, если суд признает, что имело место нарушение контракта, reasonable attorney\'s fees слупят с переводчика (проигравшей стороны).

А так - это классический contract of adhesion (uneven bargaining powers of contracting parties). Конечно, как таковой он может быть признан незаконным, но СКОЛЬКО ВРЕМЕНИ, НЕРВОВ И ДЕНЕГ сначала будет потрачено!

Напоследок адвокат мне сказал - Those who\'re stupid enough to sign this contract, probably, deserve the consequences. Это не мои слова, это цитата.

Очень это всё скользко.

Т.
Collapse

Nikita Kobrin
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Спасибо всем за консультацию Jun 20, 2002

Все-таки подписал. Прислали тест на 260 слов. Делать в лом. Если завтра будет настроение, переведу, но не весь, а штук 150. Разве для спеца этого не хватит? Посмотри, что из этого всего выйдет.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-21 12:16 ]

Nikita Kobrin
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Спасибо всем за консультацию Jun 20, 2002

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-21 12:15 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Внимание: Контракт !!

Translation news in Russian Federation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »