Mobile menu

Latest Russian-English and Russian-Russian dictionaries
Thread poster: xxxE2efour
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:27
Swedish to English
Aug 11, 2005

I recently came across a reference to New Comprehensive Russian-English Dictionary (by D.I. Ermolovich and T.M. Krasavina, Moscow, Russky Yazyk Media, 2004). Has anyone seen it?

The R-E dictionary I currently have is Taube, Litvinova et al. 1987 (Russky Yazyk) which I quite like. Any recommendations? (don't bother to mention the Oxford ER/RE Dictionary) which I think is rather poor.

I otherwise use Ozhegov, of which the latest edition seems to be 2000.

Apologies if I have missed any posts. I am only an occasional reader of Russian and am not up to date with the latest resources.

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:27
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Barry Aug 11, 2005

I think that the most popular EnRu dictionaries are ABBYY Lingvo (the most recent version is 10) and Multilex (the newest version is 5):

The distributors of ABBYY software in UK:

The distributors of Multilex (unfortunately, no distributors in the UK):

Alexandre Khalimov  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:27
Russian to English
+ ...
Electronic Dictionaries Aug 13, 2005

Personally, I find Multitran to be superior to both Abbyy Lingvo and Multilex. It's true that Multitran is a compendium of sometimes unverified translator-submitted entries, but that makes for the most current and comprehensive resource of all terminology banks in Eng-Rus pair. And with a little translating common sense and internet-based references one can easily detect and avoid flops which Multitran sometimes proffers.

[Edited at 2005-08-13 13:18]

Local time: 02:27
English to Russian
+ ...
Re: Dictionaries. Aug 19, 2005

I find very usefull dictionaries on-line such as Yandex, Rambler.
Sometimes search via Google in the advanced seach+ Russian language can navigate you too.
Hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Latest Russian-English and Russian-Russian dictionaries

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs