YaHERTY keyboard revisited
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 05:38
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2002

I posted a query some time ago about how to change the MS standard Russian keyboard with YaHERTY. I received several answers, and I downloaded a file called kbdrustu.kbd and instructions for installing it, which said that I should replace the kbdru.kbd in the Windows System folder with that file. However, these files apply to Windows 95 and 98. No such files are found in Windows XP or ME apparently. What to do? Can someone prevail on that genius B.G. to include that keyboard in Windows or p... See more
I posted a query some time ago about how to change the MS standard Russian keyboard with YaHERTY. I received several answers, and I downloaded a file called kbdrustu.kbd and instructions for installing it, which said that I should replace the kbdru.kbd in the Windows System folder with that file. However, these files apply to Windows 95 and 98. No such files are found in Windows XP or ME apparently. What to do? Can someone prevail on that genius B.G. to include that keyboard in Windows or provide a patch, or does it already exist?Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:38
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, Windows XP is different but it can be done. Aug 20, 2002

See an earler forum string on this subject. The URL is:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=8364&topic=2875&forum=30&3

A keyboard of this sort for Windows X
... See more
See an earler forum string on this subject. The URL is:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=8364&topic=2875&forum=30&3

A keyboard of this sort for Windows XP can be downloaded from

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PaulGor/kbd_eng.htm, along with keyboard reprogramming software which I also found useful, since the keyboard provided (by Paul Goryansky) is not quite the same as the one I was used to, but I was able to start from his and reprogram a few letters, so that I now have exactly the keyboard I want.

Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spasiba Jack! Aug 21, 2002

That worked for ME (pun intended) on my laptop. I will try to install Mr. Gor\'s version on my desktop tomorrow, which runs XP.

I think I had an exchange of comments with Mr. Gor at one point way back about the very opaque nature of his site. He “promised” to rewrite it after that. Luckily, it seems more navigable these days.

Yngve

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No joy, unfortunately. Aug 21, 2002

Whilst the whole process went flawlessly for ME, no such luck for XP. And, yet I did everything as per instructions, which I double-checked. The keyboard file now appropriately extended DLL goes into the System 32 folder rather than the system folder of XP. Registration also took, but upon reboot I am back to standard again rather than phonetic. Incidentally, I noticed in ME that outside of a document, I experience this gibberish vowel cluster phenomenon.

Well, Mr. Gor a
... See more
Whilst the whole process went flawlessly for ME, no such luck for XP. And, yet I did everything as per instructions, which I double-checked. The keyboard file now appropriately extended DLL goes into the System 32 folder rather than the system folder of XP. Registration also took, but upon reboot I am back to standard again rather than phonetic. Incidentally, I noticed in ME that outside of a document, I experience this gibberish vowel cluster phenomenon.

Well, Mr. Gor also has some suggestions for displaying Russian characters in e-mail on his main site. Cor, I wish life were easier. Mr. Gates is living easy, I\'m sure!

Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This post was attempted deleted by me. Aug 22, 2002

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-07 06:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-07 14:54 ]

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Register unsuccessful WIndows reboot message Aug 22, 2002

Is the message that I get, when rebooting XP, although that conflicts with the message about successful registration I got earlier when double-clicking the registration file, as instructed.

With regard to the above comment, I was wondering whether it may be Lingvo instead that was playing tricks on the unrelated Internet foreign message displays, because I had Lingvo up and running, that time. Will have to investigate.

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exact failure message Aug 29, 2002

\"Registration failed, the old situation will be restored,\" this after the original message about registration having been done successfully, when you double-click the appropriate icon/file, as instructed.

Back to square one it would seem for XP. ME did however work, surprisingly.

What to do?

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved (I hope) Sep 6, 2002

One must delete or rather deactivate the Russian language setting in the toolbar usually displayed below on the screen, if it was selected previously, which of course I had, otherwise the whole exercise would have been moot. Mr. Gor\'s response goes like this:

1) _remove_ \"RU\" (Russian) keyboard layout from the list in the

Control Panel/Regional and Language Options/Languages/Details

2) Re-start your computer

The answer
... See more
One must delete or rather deactivate the Russian language setting in the toolbar usually displayed below on the screen, if it was selected previously, which of course I had, otherwise the whole exercise would have been moot. Mr. Gor\'s response goes like this:

1) _remove_ \"RU\" (Russian) keyboard layout from the list in the

Control Panel/Regional and Language Options/Languages/Details

2) Re-start your computer

The answer above was by the way prompted by my own suggestion.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

YaHERTY keyboard revisited

Translation news in Russian Federation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »