Mobile menu

How do I type in Russian on my American pc?
Thread poster: Deborah Hoffman
Deborah Hoffman  Identity Verified

Local time: 17:58
Russian to English
+ ...
Nov 7, 2002

I apolgize for the extremely primitive knowledge of computers that this question implies. I studied Russian for many years before going to law school (BIG mistake) and now mostly keep it up with tv, books, and one friend I have. I would like to begin translating, at least for myself, and possibly for work later on, but for now I would like to figure out how to type in Russian using MS Word. Do I have to buy a Russian version of Word and will it install on my computer? And can I get an overlay to place on my keyboard?

Thanks for any help, I really enjoy reading this forum and hope I can assist someone in return some day. Deborah

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:58
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
See previous forum discussion Nov 7, 2002

This topic was discussed only the other day. Look at

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=38371#38371

and see if it helps you.

Montefiore  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:58
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Russian keyboard and fonts in MSWord Nov 7, 2002

Sorry, I don\'t know how to address you, sir. If you have the original CD-Rom from Microsoft with MSWord on it, you may want to load it into your computer, just in case. Go to settings and choose keyboard. Add Russian (cyrillic) to your list of keyboards. Also check the international settings. Play around with add/remove programs, if that doesn\'t work, however Microsoft contains all the international settings you will need.

Guillermo de la Puerta  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:58
German to Spanish
+ ...
Download cyrillic keyboard Nov 7, 2002

Hi, take a look at this web-site:

http://www.cyrillic.com

I advise you to download a trial version of Cyrillic starter kit 4.0 I have it in my computer and it works very good. Then if you like it is not expensive and it is worth to get it. You can customize the keyboard also.

Kind Regards wildlp )

P.S. Once downloaded, if you set in the menu: Russian/Student

the letters practically match the occidental ones, that is, russian L is on the place of our L, s is where the latin s is, so you don\'t need to memorize the russian layout (only 3 or 4 letters).This solves the problem of memorizing the russian layout. Well, some people say it is better to get used to russian layout but I find it really hard!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-08 03:32 ]

Deborah Hoffman  Identity Verified

Local time: 17:58
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 7, 2002

Thank you so so much!

Большое всем спасибо!

Now I just have to find a keyboard layout

Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:58
Member (2002)
Russian to English
+ ...
keyboard Nov 7, 2002

My husband came up with a neat solution to the keyboard problem (neither of us can type very well in Russian without looking at our fingers): he neatly wrote the letters on the keyboard with red marker, then covered the tops of the keyboard (also neatly) with pieces of tape so that the letters don\'t smudge. It looks great, and my typing is getting better!

About the tech side of it, if you\'re using Win98 or later, I think, isn\'t it built in?

Tatiana Neroni
English to Russian
+ ...
There are several ways to deal with the problem. Nov 7, 2002

1. If you have an IBM-compatible computer and use Windows, press Start, then Help, then in Help type \"multilanguage support\" (you don\'t need any additional software for it, it\'s already in your computer). The dialog box will guide you from there, just add \"Cyrillic\" to your keyboard layouts.

2. Russian keyboard letter stickers. They cost about $10, available in numerous Internet stores and, of course, on the Ebay.

http://www.siterapide.com/russe-fr/btq-en/1letters.html

Please, note that for black keyboard (laptops) you will need YELLOW stickers (red will not be seen). For grey/white keyboard (normal) you will need regular red stickers.

They do not overlap the English keys, as the letters are situated diagonally across from them, and the sticker itself is transparent.

3. You will be wise to invest into a typing program which will teach you how to type using blind method on Cyrillic keyboard within 2 week\'s time (if you\'re diligent). If you do not do that, you will rob yourself of valuable time forever, as you\'ll be searching across the keyboard for the next letter while your valuable time is trickling away (not good for the eyes, either).

I would recommend the program \"Virtuoso\" (available on the Internet). It\'s a little costly, $50, but the investment is well worth it if you\'re serious about your future plans. With this software be careful, install it only and exactly onto the computer you\'re going to use for exercising. It has in-built protection and won\'t allow you to use your installation CD on any other computer.

I have this program, although I did not use it to teach myself (I worked as a professional typist long before this software was invented , but my daughters did learn the Russian keyboard, very fast, using Virtuoso and Babytype, below.

http://www.smartlinkcorp.com/w95/educ/prod7/try.shtml

Also, there is a cheaper program Babytype (available at www.ozon.ru), it\'s like a game when different monsters chase you while you type your exercises), but I don\'t like being chased, it\'s not good for the typing rhythm . Both of the above programs teach Cyrillic and English keyboards, ten-digit blind method.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I type in Russian on my American pc?

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs