Mobile menu

Help! Need Eng software for Russ-speaking children
Thread poster: Liv Bliss

Liv Bliss  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:48
Russian to English
+ ...
Dec 12, 2002

An acquaintance recently returned from Russia with three newly-adopted children (ages: 10, 5, 4). He\'s looking for software programs that might help them pick up English more quickly and painlessly than they are likely to at school or by osmosis.

Does anyone have any personal recommendations or hints?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Liv Bliss
[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

ilmech
English to Russian
+ ...
what is the general purpose of the parent? Dec 13, 2002

Before any recommendations could be given, some questions need to be answered...

1. Is the adoptive parent speaking Russian him/herself?

if yes - one kind of options, no - other;

2. Does the parent want his/her kids to preserve Russian or the purpose of \"picking up English quicker\" is at the same time to erase Russian quicker and establish English as the only language spoken (happens all the time with adopted kids)?

All kids coming to the US schools have a right to a free English-as-a-2nd-language teacher, the parent needs to talk to the school authorities about it. These teachers are pretty efficient and teach ESL well.

As to the software, before the above questions are answered, it\'s difficult to recommend anything...

Regards,

Elena

xxxxeni
English to Russian
+ ...
English as a second language Dec 13, 2002

Unfortunately I don\'t know anything about software but what I do know is that a school MUST provide a teacher of English as a second language, at least in most states. The fact that they should do it does not always mean that they do. A friend of mine brought her 5 year old boy here and she did not know about this obligation of school administration and they were not in a rush to help her. The boy had a very hard time because he had to go to school right after his arrival and did not even had any time to adapt. Eventually a teacher was provided but only after the parents demanded so. I know because I helped her with paperwork, and there was a LOT of paperwork. If the school administration does not offer a teacher, it will save your friend a lot of trouble to start discussing it right away.

BTW let him not be discouraged if the children will not do too well in the beginning, they are going to be just fine! Good luck to this family.

Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Russian to English
+ ...
some ideas Dec 13, 2002

Hi there,

I\'ve taught English to very young children, and I honestly think that reading books to them (with pictures, obviously) is one of the absolute best ways to give them a head start in English.

I also know some good videos with interactive sections. You can contact me through my profile if you\'d like a list.

Basically, I would use computer games and learning programs later, when they already have some friends to play the games with. In the beginning, there is no substitute for a loving human voice!

Elizabeth

Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Dec 13, 2002

Thank you, ladies, for the information and advice. Elena, Ksenia: I will certainly let Kirk and his wife know about their rights regarding ESL teachers.

Elena: Since Kirk and his wife speak no Russian at all and there is no visible Russian community in this rather remote area of Arizona, I would imagine that these new parents are thinking at this time only about communicating with their little ones with more than love and lots of hugs, and helping them assimilate and feel at home here as quickly as possible. (I have of course offered my services if they meet any apparently insurmountable communication problems.)

Elizabeth: I will be contacting you directly re. your kind offer of advice on interactive videos.

Best to all. And thanks again.

Liv
[addsig]

Galina Labinko Rodriguez  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:48
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
let them play with other kids Jan 7, 2003

The younger the child the easier he/she picks up the language.I can tell it from my own experience. When we arrived to Ireland my son was 5 and speaking only Spanish. In 2 months time he started his junior infants at school. As there was no such thing as English teacher for emigrants\' children, he was learning on his own. I must admit that his teacher was a very nice person and helped him a lot, however no extra curriculum activities were involved. The relationship with other children through playing and other activities was the only factor that helped him. The same happened to my daughter. Although she was born in Ireland, she spoke Spanish only till 3 years of age as she stayed at home with me. Once she started going to a playgroup, she changed to English with no problem and now we need to do something about improving her Spanish.

A friend of ours brought her nephew from Peru to Ireland to do his secondary school here. The boy was 15 years old when he came to Ireland and was placed in a boarding school. In a short period of time his spoken English was better than his auntie\'s English (and she has Master in English).

Conclusion: let the children interact with English speaking kids and you\'ll be amazed how quickly they learn. Of course, reading books and watching TV is part of the learning process.

Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Galina Jan 7, 2003

Galina, thank you for sharing your experience and for your good advice. I will pass it on to my acquaintance, and I\'m sure he will find it most helpful

Best for the New Year

Liv

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! Need Eng software for Russ-speaking children

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs