Mobile menu

Do all the agencies know what they are doing?
Thread poster: djack
djack  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:05
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 13, 2002

I have come to know this agency through the usual mailing route. Having decided that it is a reliable translation agency, I sent my CV to them. Their response took me aback (to say the least). Please find below what it read. Note that I am an English > Russian (Russian > English) translator and I have never specified otherwise.

we have a review of an HP reference guide in Ukrainian, we can pay you 60

EUR for 4 hours of work. We need the text quite urgently - today before

20.00 Central European Time.

PLease let me know if you are available.

Best regards

Response: [PP] Ando Publishing, Brno, Czech Republic (*

What do other Proz think about this situation? Any response will be appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:05
Russian to English
+ ...
that's a good one! Dec 13, 2002

I\'ve actually been asked to translate, let\'s see, Czech, Ukranian, Spanish (!)...

Maybe you should write back and ask them if they can cater your next party.

Mirela Fletcher  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:05
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Some - don't Dec 13, 2002

It is unfortunate that amongst the good once, there always will be some bad, really bad agencies.

It is very rare that an agency is willing to commission you with an urgent job that you have not seen. If they do so, this shows that they do not understand the complexity of the translation process which includes a lot of preparation and research. They take the risk not to be able to deliver the translation to their client on time and it is as much your responsibility as theirs.

I can not comment on the price quoted as it is up to you whether you agree or not. It is a free market and even if it seems very low for such an urgent job, under certain circumstances you may be willing to accept it. It is up to you to negotiate.

I know also that you may be feeling insulted that someone dealing with your language pairs disregards your will to work using only Ukrainian and English as language pairs. I have a lot of friends from the ex USSR and they all accept projects in Russian. Don’t you speak fluent Russian? I am just kidding. It had happened to me too. I was asked to make a phone call delivering a message in Russian. I did not mind as the message was an easy one but was just wandering if we need to do that what are our colleagues who had registered as Russian translators/interpreters doing.

But when we have a deadline to meet we all behave a bit odd, don’t we?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do all the agencies know what they are doing?

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs