После битвы - RU-EN translation contest
Thread poster: Alexander Onishko

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:53
Member (2007)
Russian to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2007

Предлагаю в данной ветке обсудить результаты конкурса переводов в русско-английской паре

Direct link Reply with quote

Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:53
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Поддерживаю Jul 12, 2007

subj

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:53
Member (2007)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Once upon a time Jul 12, 2007

Что вы думаете о вводной фразе "Once upon a time", которая встречается примерно в половине переводов?

Я считаю, что она тут абсолютно неуместна, поскольку действие происходит как бы "в наши дни".

Я считаю, что это ошибка, вызвана тем, что указанные участники не читали книгу про Чебурашку полностью.

David Knowles  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:53
Member (2002)
Russian to English
+ ...
Once upon a time/funny/lived his life Jul 12, 2007

Alexander Onishko wrote:

Что вы думаете о вводной фразе "Once upon a time", которая встречается примерно в половине переводов?

Я считаю, что она тут абсолютно неуместна, поскольку действие происходит как бы "в наши дни".

Я считаю, что это ошибка, вызвана тем, что указанные участники не читали книгу про Чебурашку полностью.

I don't like this either, but it's not obvious how to translate жил да был. It's very close to жил-был, the usual "once upon a time". My solution was "there lived". It's not the real present day: it's an idealised world with present-day characteristics!

I'm not happy with "funny" for забавный. Maybe it's just me, but I think "curious" is better.

Another phrase with да is просто жил себе да жил. Is there an implication of living alone, or is it simply "lived his own life", "got on with things"?

David Knowles  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Russian to English
+ ...
Administration Jul 12, 2007

The qualification phase clearly didn't work. Alexander pointed the mathematical difficulties, and the En-Ru pair seems to have had its problems. On the other hand, reading 20 translations carefully is too difficult, so some sort of weeding out is needed.

Maybe something slightly simpler is required: would you accept this translation as reasonable if you were a proof-reader? Just positive votes, no negative ones. Would this be sufficiently selective? Would it simply duplicate the final vote?

There are other questions about who should be allowed to vote and for what, and who should be allowed to enter.

My feeling is that non-natives should be allowed to enter translations in their working pairs. For example, Andrew Vdovin might do quite a good translation into English!

Voting is slightly trickier. I voted for two entries in the En-Ru, and my judgement was validated by other voters, but I couldn't pretend to appreciate all the nuances of the Russian. I can't see that you can stop contestants voting either, because that would reduce the pool too much. Provided you can't vote for yourself, it seems a good thing. I learned quite a lot from reading other entries and choosing the best.

David

Larissa Dinsley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
забавный Jul 16, 2007

David Knowles wrote:

I'm not happy with "funny" for забавный. Maybe it's just me, but I think "curious" is better.

Another phrase with да is просто жил себе да жил. Is there an implication of living alone, or is it simply "lived his own life", "got on with things"?

People have done a great job translating this piece into English!

David, you are right, "curious" sounds better than "funny" in this context. I would use "cute" for "забавный". "Забавный" in Russian has some endearing meaning.

Regarding the "просто жил себе да жил", it does not have any implications of living alone, he "simply lived his life".

Oleg Sollogub  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:53
English to Russian
+ ...
Просто жил себе да жил Jul 16, 2007

David Knowles wrote:

My feeling is that non-natives should be allowed to enter translations in their working pairs.

David

David, non-natives ARE allowed (in their working pairs).

"Просто жил себе да жил":
Here "да" means "и"="and". So, it reads like: "[He] simply lived his own life (=себе) and lived". There is no implication of living alone here. Repetition of "жил" (as in "Жил да жил") implies a prolonged action.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

После битвы - RU-EN translation contest

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs