Mobile menu

Name translation problem Russian/english/Georgian
Thread poster: stealthman
stealthman
English
Sep 21, 2007

Hello everyone,

I need a professional advise on this translation/transliteration problem.

We are translating name "Joseph" from Russian to English.

The problem is that one translator ( russian translator is giving us translation as "Iosif" since this is how it sounds in russian, but Georgian translator is providing translation as "Ioseb" since this is how it sounds in Georgian language.

The problem is that we need to proove that both names are the same Iosef = Ioseb.
There is an article at Britannica about same translation discrepancy http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9108469/Joseph-Stalin

Any ideas, recommendations ?

Thanks,
-M

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:52
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Sep 21, 2007

Please take a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_(name)
http://www.geocities.com/edgarbook/names/j/joseph.html

HTH,
Natalia

Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 05:52
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

My opinion Sep 21, 2007

As you see this name sounds different in different languages.

Name of Stalin correctly transliterated from Georgian is:

First name: Ioseb (not only sounds so, but also writes this way)
Patronymic: Besarion
Last name: Jughashvili

Regards,
Maya

stealthman
English
TOPIC STARTER
more info needed Sep 21, 2007

I understand this, but the problem is that organization, where we are trying to submit documents, needs to have official letter, signed by a translator or a linguist. I need to provide somekind of affidavit for that.

Any recommendations where can I get such letter ?
Maybe in Georgia ? We tried to approach local University in Georgia for such letter, but they declined our request, saying it's not up to them to provide such a letter.
Now I am completely confused.

thanks !

Maya Gorgoshidze wrote:

As you see this name sounds different in different languages.

Name of Stalin correctly transliterated from Georgian is:

First name: Ioseb (not only sounds so, but also writes this way)

Regards,
Maya

Georgia
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

A short translation signed by a translator and then attested in a notary office Sep 21, 2007

What about a short translation signed by a translator and then attested in a notary office?

For example:

---------------------------------------------------
Georgian source:

სახელი: იოსებ
მამის სახელი: ბესარიონის ძე
გვარი: ჯუღაშვილი

English transliteration:

First name: Ioseb

----------------------------------------------------------------

Would this do? Are you sure you need exactly this? If yes, you can act so in any country if you find a certified Georgian to English translator there.

Maya

The Misha
Local time: 20:52
Russian to English
+ ...
Fretting over nothing Sep 22, 2007

If that's Uncle Joe you are talking about, then you are fretting over nothing. The accepted usage is Joseph in English and Iosif in Russian. Just write a Translator's Note explaining it, that's all.

Georgia
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Some suggestions Sep 22, 2007

The Misha wrote:

If that's Uncle Joe you are talking about, then you are fretting over nothing. The accepted usage is Joseph in English and Iosif in Russian. Just write a Translator's Note explaining it, that's all.

100% agree with you, Misha, but please see:

stealthman wrote:

I understand this, but the problem is that organization, where we are trying to submit documents, needs to have official letter, signed by a translator or a linguist. I need to provide somekind of affidavit for that.

And the client is always right.

In this situation I would ask the client to visit the sites provided by Natalie and ask him/her what version he/she would prefer – translated or transliterated.

But if he insists on having some official document, I would attest the following translation:

First name: Joseph (translation) Ioseb (transliteration)

And then I would feel free to use either of them. I would prefer the translated version, but opinion of clients always matters…

Maya

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:52
English to Russian
+ ...
i believe it is just a certification letter Oct 5, 2007

I mean the letter stating that the translation provided had been done by a professional translator having such and such education, certified/accredited etc.
Address, date, seal.
I doubt that notary is needed here.

stealthman wrote:

Georgia
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

It depends on country Oct 5, 2007

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

I mean the letter stating that the translation provided had been done by a professional translator having such and such education, certified/accredited etc.
Address, date, seal.
I doubt that notary is needed here.

stealthman wrote:

Dear Vladimir,

I believe the certification procedure depends on the country. For example, in Georgia the letter stating that the translation provided had been done by a professional translator having such and such education, certified/accredited etc, Address, date, seal are not enough. The certification in not valid without a notary attestation… But a signature and a seal may be quite enough in other countries...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Name translation problem Russian/english/Georgian

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs