Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
revision of two million words of machine translation...
Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab

Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:51
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2003

...just wondering whether you would bid for this job?

http://www.proz.com/translationjobs/32717

some obviously would as it has lured six bids so far. \'revision\' of 2,000,000 words of machine translation (systran) at 0.01USD a word.

sounds like hell to me. and is it really going to be \'revision\' or retranslation? is it not just encouraging misappropriate use of machine translation by stepping in to sort out the rubbish that it will have generated? just curious to know your views.

i would certainly not go near it myself.

dan

Direct link Reply with quote

David Knowles  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:51
Member (2002)
Russian to English
+ ...
Have you looked at their website to see what you'd be translating? Mar 3, 2003

http://free-history-dictionary-books-hotels-health-maps.mithec.com

Even for 0.05/word, I\'m not sure I\'d want to get involved!

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:51
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
О Фоменко и не только Mar 3, 2003

Неделю назад в Jobs предлагалась работа Russian->English (Historical). 1,700,000 слов. Была очень быстро закрыта.

Судя по sample text, это тоже был пресловутый Фоменко. Во всяком случае в абзаце говорилось, что средневековые историки неверно определили год рождения Христа. Эта идея -- можно сказать, визитная карточка Фоменко.

К тому же, объем практически совпадает (вырос после машинного перевода?).

Я уверен, что Дэн прав и предложение отредактировать \"машинный перевод\" -- на самом деле попытка получить почти задаром перевод человеческий, да еще такого объема, да еще в довольно сжатые сроки (как на мой взгляд).

Особенно настораживает, что е-мейл адреса были разные. Мне все-таки не кажется, что

такие совпадения (характер текста, объем, недельная разница в сроке) могут быть случайными. Надувательство в крупных размерах?

Steffen Pollex  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:51
English to German
+ ...
Here's my reply (without even having had a look at the text itself or the website) Mar 3, 2003

Dear Mr. Tamdhu,

with regard to the above job offer, let me just express my point of view:

You propose to pay USD 0.01 per word for revision, editing and styling of Systran machine translation from Russian to English...\".

I would not recommend anybody to work at your rediculous conditions because:

1) it is impossible to decently revise 5-10.000 words per day in a style that is \"lively and clear for the public\". One would not even succeed in translating this amount per day, and revision is a job much tougher than translation itself, believe me.

2) the job would require a huge load of additional research for a translator in order to get familiar with the subject which, supposingly, is highly scientific. You would need at least a Doctor\'s degree in Maths to cope with the task. Just a linguist won\'t do.

3) you don\'t seem to have an idea of our business. Review of rough translations, as a rule, involves a lot more effort than translating itself. For this type of work you are supposed to pay at least ten times as much as you offer (if at all charge per word, usually such jobs are charged by the hour). EUR 0.01 will most likely ensure you a quality level close to the one you have already in the machine-translated text - zero.

Respectfully

Steffen Pollex (BDЬ)

Certified Translator

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-03 17:26]

Montefiore  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:51
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Outrageous , but not uncommon ignorance of our profession Mar 3, 2003

I said it in the title of this post - this is outrageous. No, I will not touch that job with a 10-foot pole. Completely agree with Dan and Steffen.

Rina.

xxxElaine Freel
English to Russian
+ ...
Slow down, slow down... Mar 3, 2003

My _profession_ is editor, and only then translator, so yeah, I was one of the six who bid for the job. Editing wise, it looked like a fair rate, normal editing rates are a dollar per page, so I figured out it was a fair offer. I\'ve done more editing jobs than you, guys, will want to know about so I thought I\'d seen all sorts of \"English\" and they couldn\'t scare me with a pile of gibberish.

Gosh was I wrong. (Stupid Little Red Riding Hood)

I already wrote the guy back and told them what I thought of their 2-million word \"assignment\", and I wasn\'t as nice with them as the previous speakers here were. But just to make it complete, I\'ll quote a tiny bit (a few sentences out of 2 mln words should be considered \"fair use\" and besides, I don\'t think there\'s such thing as copywriting a machine\'s work )

(Start Quote

Encountering by this effect \"ignoring of thousands years \", contemporary historians usually deviate from its explanation. At best simply they note fact itself, sometimes explaining by its considerations \"convenience \". Thus,

pier, more convenient it was write. Speak as follows: \"in the XV -.xvi centuries with the datings Frequently lowered thousand or even hundreD”[ 102], p.117. As we begin

to understand, medieval chroniclers honestly they wrote:

(End quote)

AND -- they assign you an \"abstract\" for editing, to see if you qualify. The abstract is 8,000 words. Free, I guess.

But I was more than punished: my comp crashed on me and I had to re-register so I\'m now a \"New Member\". I think it was Translators-and-Editors\' God\'s wrath!

English to German
+ ...
Nice quote, I did not understand a single thing, Mar 3, 2003

I am neither awfully thumb, nor untrained in Russian and English, though.

My favourite from below is: \"Thus, pier, more convenient it was write.\" It shows me already that the text will be far beyond my level, I wouldn\'t \"qualify\", anyway and I still have a long way to go to get there.

So, I\'ll simply forget it.

BTW, I think hardly this CEO or whatever is his position will have a clue of WHAT he\'s been trying to sell to us. Actually, I wouldn\'t mind having a look at the Russian original, at least, to convince myself that the author was not out of his mind when writing the whole thing.

\"Encountering by this effect \"ignoring of thousands years \", contemporary historians usually deviate from its explanation. At best simply they note fact itself, sometimes explaining by its considerations \"convenience \". Thus,

pier, more convenient it was write. Speak as follows: \"in the XV -.xvi centuries with the datings Frequently lowered thousand or even hundreD”[ 102], p.117. As we begin

to understand, medieval chroniclers honestly they wrote\"

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-03 21:39]

Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Elaine, it's a pity! Mar 3, 2003

sorry, got wrong encoding again...

pls see below.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-03 21:35]

Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Elaine, it's a pity! Mar 3, 2003

I mean that you\'ve had to re-register. Perhaps you should contact the staff and ask that they restore your previous account manually. I think it\'s not so difficult - they must have some database backups...

About the job:

перехожу на русский для большей выразительности.

Я послал им запрос просто из интереса - отнюдь не претендую на способность отредактировать что-либо на безупречном и легкочитаемом английском. Мне было УЖАСНО интересно посмотреть на машинный перевод (как утверждалось, \"после некоторой человеческой обработки\"), за разбор которого в такие сроки предлагают такие суммы...

Отрывок для пробы я получил, и с первых же строк русского текста у меня появилось ощущение \"сбоя в Матрице\", или дежа вю.

Я не был уверен, но у меня появилось такое ощущение, что этот текст я очень недавно где-то видел. Кирилл подтверждает - значит, я не ошибся.

Вполне вероятно, это тот же текст, что предлагался 25 февраля на перевод (http://www.proz.com/job/32489). Проверить невозможно, т.к. постинг закрыт, но если кто-то подавал заявки на этот проект, наверняка может подтвердить. Вот отрывок по-русски:

\"Обнаруженные нами хронологические сдвиги могут объясняться ошибками, сделанными средневековыми хронологами XVI-XVII веков н.э. при датировании средневековых событий. Первой причиной ошибок было несовершенство записи дат в средние века. Серьезнейшая ошибка средневековых хронологов состояла в том, что они неправильно датировали рождение или распятие Иисуса Христа.\"

Ну а относительно \"английского перевода\" - можете себе представить из вышеизложенного.

Вывод:

есть у меня нехорошая идейка подкинуть линк, с которого Дэн начал разговор, той компании, которая изначально выставила текст на перевод. Пусть посмотрят, кому они поручили это дело. Что скажете, с точки зрения профессиональной этики?

Вполне серьезно,

Олег

ttagir  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:51
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanx 4 advising! Mar 3, 2003

Thank you indeed for that beautiful piece of sample text they pretend to be slightly \"edited\"

It will not be a great surprise for others to say that I know about works by A. Fomenko for several years and even read them (sorry, not all 2\'000\'000 ). He is also the well-known illustrator of some mathematical ideas (he draws very interesting b/w graphic pictures explaining some very sofisticated topological notions). I must add that (by my personal opinion and that of many other mathematicians in the world) he is one of the best modern researchers in Mathematics.

Now let me put a small question: can somebody even hope to translate the things created by this extraordinary person in the manner indicated in that posting? My answer is absolutely negative. Of course, THE TRANSLATION of these 2 million words (and what words! I read him) cannot be managed this way. Period.

Can you guess now why was this job offered with URL containing a funny chain \"...> hotels>...\" ?

Yours, as ever,

Tagir.

PS. Мне кажется все-таки, что как-то нескромно употреблять слово \"пресловутый\" рядом с именем громадного ученого. Большинство его критиков (или все?)просто неспособны понять смысл им написанного (кстати, о требуемых способностях возможного переводчика...). СЕРЬЕЗНОЙ критики видеть не приходилось. Помните один старенький одесский анекдот (уже приходиось рассказывать по другому поводу):

- И шо в этих Битлз все находят? Поют фальшиво, врут безбожно, голоса нет, да еще и картавят!

- А где ты их слышал?

- Да мне Моня вчера по телефону напел...

?

Простите за \"бороду\"

Т.

English to German
+ ...
Слава богу, хоть на русском текст нормальный, Mar 3, 2003

если обращать внимание только на грамматикуЮ правописание и стиль и абстрагитроваться от содержания, которое полный бред.

Но у каждого право на свое мнение по этому поводу, не упрекните теперь в антирелигиозной пропаганде или оскорблении христианства, пожалуйста!

Да, видел я эту \"работеньку\", но когда хотел посмотреть, уже закрыто было, и слава Богу.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-03 21:54]

English to German
+ ...
О чем и речь Mar 3, 2003

On 2003-03-03 21:51, ttagir wrote:

\"Now let me put a small question: can somebody even hope to translate the things created by this extraordinary person in the manner indicated in that posting? My answer is absolutely negative. Of course, THE TRANSLATION of these 2 million words (and what words! I read him) cannot be managed this way. Period. \"

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
О Фоменко Mar 4, 2003

Простите, я позволю себе краткую предысторию, многое станет понятно. Особенно тем, кто не слышал о Фоменко.

Фоменко действительно выдающийся современный тополог, судя по отзывам. В его математических талантах я ничуть не сомневаюсь.

Несколько лет назад он занялся пересмотром исторической хронологии. Опирался на многочисленные данные, в том числе лингвистические. В результате он \"сжал\" историю на целые тысячелетия. По его мнению, вся общепринятая хронология по разным причинам \"растянута\" во времени, но на самом деле Христос родился (если я правильно помню) около 1000 г. н. э., все прочие исторические события соответственно \"уплотняются\" по временной шкале.

Я тоже читал не так уж много, но меня лично несколько поразила та вольность, с какой он занимается компаративной лингвистикой. Быть может, он блестящий тополог, но в языкознании не авторитет.

\"Пресловутым\" я его назвал, собственно, из-за того, что его работы произвели в России настоящую сенсацию. Как к нему ни относись,

это может стать бестселлером и на Западе.

И вот это в данном случае самое главное. Мало того, что \"машинный перевод\" и все остальное, о чем уже много сказано.

Однако меня вдвойне удивляет, что таким способом пытаются сделать бестселлер!

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
why don't you all bid Mar 4, 2003

and place your normal rates. This guy will then get a clearer picture of what we should earn (and get an apoplectic fit once he reads them)

Nikolai Muraviev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:51
English to Russian
+ ...
О больших проектах и любителях легких денег Mar 4, 2003

Время от времени обращаются ко мне различные люди примерно с одинаковыми идеями. Выглядит это примерно так: \"Есть тема: создать информационный портал всей Сибири (озеленить Луну, перевести всю информацию о всех музеях мира на электронные носители). Есть финансирование -- у меня есть крючок в правительстве/думе/администрации президента. Так вот, когда мы пили с ним в последний раз (водку, коньяк, самогон), он мне сказал: Старик, есть идея: (см. выше)\". Как правило, в цифрах это выражается так: 1-10 млн долларов -- общая стоимость проекта, ну, и исполнитель получит тыщ 5-10.

Причем говорят это люди неглупые и в чем-то убежденные. Объяснять им каждый раз, что это - бред, и говорить об этом несерьезно, -тяжкий труд. Отбиться от такого \"проекта\" порой сложнее, чем сделать его . Редактирование предложенной выше книги -- из этой же серии. Кто-то сдуру сделал \"машинный пеервод\", посмотрел на получившуюся при этом ахинею, подправил пару ошибок (человечески облагородил), а потом понял, что в таком виде ЭТО продать невозможно.Вот он и закинул указанный job на ПроЗ. Мол, кто-нибудь и клюнет. А мы всерьез обсуждаем это. На самом деле, здесь надо святой водой и ладаном...

Что касается теории Фоменко. Читал, забавно. Судить об этом всерьез не могу, поскольку не являюсь специалистом. Мне очень напомнило поп. журналы про НЛО, экстрасенсов и прочую фигню, которой кормят скучающую публику. Хочу разочароваться (вдруг Фоменко прав!).

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

revision of two million words of machine translation...

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs