Trados for Russian?
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:52
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dec 8, 2007

I would like to use Trados for Russian to English translation.
Is this going to be a problem, specifically with the cyrillic script?
Obviously, it will not work with the standard language complement I currently have downloaded for Trados, since segments processing Russian turn up garbled.

Thanks for input and suggestions, maybe the question has been answered before in the vast repository of queries on Proz.

YR


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
English to Russian
+ ...
it is a font problem Dec 8, 2007

You need to specify a cyrillic font during setup of a translation memory.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sergey Savchenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:52
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Upgrade TRADOS Dec 8, 2007

Yngve Roennike wrote:

I would like to use Trados for Russian to English translation.
Is this going to be a problem, specifically with the cyrillic script?
Obviously, it will not work with the standard language complement I currently have downloaded for Trados, since segments processing Russian turn up garbled.

Thanks for input and suggestions, maybe the question has been answered before in the vast repository of queries on Proz.

YR

It was a big problem with Trados versions lower than 7.0, but in newer versions it's ok, so the problem, if any, lies elsewhere.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
English to Russian
+ ...
it looks like this Dec 8, 2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:52
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the illustration Dec 9, 2007

Excellent, Sergei!

I am going to have to curtail my languages in Trados, and place all Western-Central European code page languages in one TM, and then make other TMs depending on the specific code page, e.g., one for Russian/cyrillic. I am fast approaching the paltry five-language limit set by Trados.

Go Putin! For a moment I thought I noticed a slight resemblance

[Edited at 2007-12-09 03:38]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
English to Russian
+ ...
No need to curtail anything Dec 9, 2007

Have you ever tried to use Wordfast?

You can use your previous tm's in WF (by exporting existing tm's into txt or tmx format) and re-creating them in WF.

It helps to handle secondary languages, which you could have for training and learning, leaving main Trados capacities to your primary languages (earning you money).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:52
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A new learning curve? Dec 10, 2007

Well, I am not going to through another round of learning a new CAT tool, and I basically don't care what moniker it carries.
As for Trados, it is its real document interface that I appreciate, not something that is one step removed from the document itself, you loose all touch of context that way.

Regards,
Yngve

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

Have you ever tried to use Wordfast?

You can use your previous tm's in WF (by exporting existing tm's into txt or tmx format) and re-creating them in WF.

It helps to handle secondary languages, which you could have for training and learning, leaving main Trados capacities to your primary languages (earning you money).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
English to Russian
+ ...
I would give it a try Dec 10, 2007

I think you would be really surprised to find how things can be made simple and much user friendlier, when you have a look at wordfast after struggle with Trados

You already know all concepts and general workflow/
What is left is just learning a new layout/

Last but not least - Wordfast has no tageditor :0)

[Edited at 2007-12-10 20:30]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:52
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One big kahuna TM. How to set up based on separate language TMs? Dec 10, 2007

So my next project in this path to simplification is to export all TMs with languages of one and the same code page into a new TM, e.g., Western/Central European into English, which will be by far the largest.

I was hoping this would not cause any confusion, I mean, the SUs have different language tags, as it stands now, or do I have to replace globally all language tags with one specific and unique language tag, say German, for these various languages. Anyway, I will have to try and see what gives, when I have a spare moment and enough inspiration/motivation.

I hope this is clear, I don't have too much time to explain it.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:52
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast, how fast? Dec 18, 2007

But does it have a language combination limit, like Trados?
That would greatly influence my decision as to whether to acquire a new CAT tool.
I assume you can import your TMs from Trados to Wordfast.


Sergei Tumanov wrote:

I think you would be really surprised to find how things can be made simple and much user friendlier, when you have a look at wordfast after struggle with Trados

You already know all concepts and general workflow/
What is left is just learning a new layout/

Last but not least - Wordfast has no tageditor :0)

[Edited at 2007-12-10 20:30]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados for Russian?

Advanced search


Translation news in Russian Federation





Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums