Mobile menu

What is the difference between different types of Kaspersky licence?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:51
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
May 7, 2008

My computer has been reminding me all day long, at regular intervals, that my Kaspersky licence will be expiring soon. However, rather than extend it, I would prefer to change to an arrangement where I only have to pay once, if I knew how to arrange it.

I had two computer men here, around a year ago. One sold me this main computer, and told me he was putting Kaspersky on it instead of Norton. He itemised the invoice, and it appeared that Kaspersky was relatively expensive, and consisted of a one-year licence.

The second computer man had a couple of things to do to my laptop. In addition, he wiped off Norton and replaced it with Kaspersky. However, he invoiced me for a smaller amount, and the licence appeared to be permanent.

I do not really understand why there should be the two different systems with Kaspersky: (1) an expensive licence, that expires after each year and has to be renewed; (2) a less expensive licence, that never has to be renewed. Can someone enlighten me on why this dual system exists, and how I can change over the main computer to the cheaper, single licence?

Thanks in advance.

Astrid

Direct link Reply with quote

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:51
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Don't know about Germany May 7, 2008

Here in Latvia Kaspersky costs about 20 lats (EUR 29.-) and yearly renewal Ls 15.- (EUR 21,5).
Just yesterday renewed it.

And no, there are no non-expiring licences available here in Latvia.

I suggest you look at the http://www.kaspersky.com/ for more info.

Uldis

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:
Can someone enlighten me on why this dual system exists, and how I can change over the main computer to the cheaper, single licence?
Astrid

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Is it a legal copy May 7, 2008

I use Kaspersky (Internet Security) as well, and as far as I know you should renew it each year.

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
These are the details May 7, 2008

The first guy charged me EUR 46.00 for "Kaspersky Antivirus 7.0 licence 12 months".

The second guy charged me EUR 16.81 for "Kaspersky Antivirus 6.0".

I am still puzzled.

Astrid

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Updates May 7, 2008

Hi Astrid,

obviously the 6.0 version is older than 7.0. That in itself may explain why it is cheaper.
Furthermore, you need to update antivirus-software (any antivirus programme) regularly. That's why the licence is for 12 months. I would guess there are no more updates available for 6.0.

Updates are necessary, not because the Kaspersky people want to make more money (even though I'm sure they make a nice profit) but because there are constantly new viruses and malware being created. The software needs to be adjusted and adapted to recognise these new threats.

So I would strongly advise against replacing 7.0 with 6.0.

Hope this helps!

Margreet

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
No, 6.0 still works May 7, 2008

However, to receive updates you still need valid licence (it is the same for 6.0 and 7.0). AFAIK, licensed users of 6.0 can update to 7.0 for free, using the same licence key (actually I remember KAV itself found it when I updated to 7.0 some time last year).

Astrid, I suggest you look up some Kaspersky German representative on Kaspersky home page (there are dozens of them) and ask them the price. If you have the licence for KAV 7, extension for a year is about half the new licence price. However here I have to give the vendor the old paper licence (which was included in the original KAV CD box) to get the new year's licence for the extension price.

Uldis

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Hi Astrid,

obviously the 6.0 version is older than 7.0. That in itself may explain why it is cheaper.
Furthermore, you need to update antivirus-software (any antivirus programme) regularly. That's why the licence is for 12 months. I would guess there are no more updates available for 6.0.

Updates are necessary, not because the Kaspersky people want to make more money (even though I'm sure they make a nice profit) but because there are constantly new viruses and malware being created. The software needs to be adjusted and adapted to recognise these new threats.

So I would strongly advise against replacing 7.0 with 6.0.

Hope this helps!

Margreet

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your replies May 7, 2008

I think Selcuk is right, I probably do not have a legal copy of Version 6.0. I have found the CD-ROM containing it, but it looks like a home-made copy and there is no licence key.

Then I think I will extend the version 7.0 licence for the main computer, and also arrange for Version 7.0 on the laptop. However, I think I will have to buy it new, since I do not have a licence key.

Many thanks, Selcuk, Uldis and Margreet

Astrid

Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
no license key? May 7, 2008

The CD-ROM can well be home-made - in fact, you can download the software from Internet for free. It is not the software but the key that you buy. Or not buy, but... say, get. But you need a key anyway for the software to work.

Could the guy (assuming he does work legitimately) have bought, say, a license for 10 computers to distribute it among his clients? See, the 10-PC license costs $200, i.e., $20 per PC, which is half the price of a 1-PC license ($39.95): http://www.kaspersky.com/kaspersky_anti-virus (click the BUY NOW button to see the prices)

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

I think Selcuk is right, I probably do not have a legal copy of Version 6.0. I have found the CD-ROM containing it, but it looks like a home-made copy and there is no licence key.

[Edited at 2008-05-07 19:22]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:51
Swedish to English
+ ...
3 computer licence May 7, 2008

If you've got more than 1 computer I suggest you buy a licence for 3. At least in the UK, it's cheaper to buy a licence for 3 computer than buying 2 single licences.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the difference between different types of Kaspersky licence?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs