https://www.proz.com/forum/safe_computing/105110-500_failed_message_deliveries_in_one_hour.html

500 failed message deliveries in one hour?
Thread poster: Parrot
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 20, 2008

I just received some 500 DAEMON and other failed message delivery messages during the last hour. Is this some kind of new worm?

I suppose it goes without saying that I didn't send any of those failed messages.

Thanks for any help...

[Edited at 2008-05-20 16:46]

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:34
Catalan to English
+ ...
You're just the latest victim...... May 20, 2008

Hi Ceci,

This has been going on for some time and I've never read/heard a convincing explanation of what its purpose might be.

I had a spell last year when I'd receive dozens of failed messages virtually every day (on what is purported to be one of the most secure systems in the world - so I'm supposing that many didn't get through).

I'm afraid patience is the only thing I can recommend. This kind of thing tends to stop just as suddenly as it started.
... See more
Hi Ceci,

This has been going on for some time and I've never read/heard a convincing explanation of what its purpose might be.

I had a spell last year when I'd receive dozens of failed messages virtually every day (on what is purported to be one of the most secure systems in the world - so I'm supposing that many didn't get through).

I'm afraid patience is the only thing I can recommend. This kind of thing tends to stop just as suddenly as it started.

Cheers,
Andy
Collapse

Karahan Sisman
Karahan Sisman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:34
Member (2010)
English to Turkish
Suffering from the same problem May 20, 2008

Hey,

I'm suffering from the same problem too. I think we both use one of the largest mail servers, which is also known for its search engine (You got it, I know).

I use the account as my business e-mail, so I don't know what I will do if the mail server thinks I'm a spammer and shuts the account down.

Looking for a solution asap.

[Değişiklik saati 2008-05-20 16:57]

Αlban SHPΑTΑ
Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
There must be a spammer May 20, 2008

There must be a spammer who is using your email as the reply address for the emails he/she sends around. Why flood their own inbox when they can stream these trash undelivered messages over to you? They are getting smarter everyday.
They use reply emails randomly, it was your turn this time.

Now you get the brighter picture.

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:35
English to Russian
This has been discussed see some solutions at May 20, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_hosting/104242-sudden_surge_of_spam_to_mysefl_not_sent_by_me-.html

Parrot
Spain
Local time: 02:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As far as I can make out May 20, 2008

after investigating along the lines of your explanations, a single site selling brand counterfeits ("replicas" in their terms) have used my domain name. (It's not coming over gmail).

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Alexey May 20, 2008

While the link doesn't seem to work (I've asked staff to look into it), I was desperate enough to find the steps you outlined and try it. It seems to have worked so far!

Ana Kübli
Ana Kübli
Croatia
German to Croatian
+ ...
Same here May 20, 2008

I had the same problem this week... over 500 failed messages, but this occurred only one time and now I only get one or two such mails a day, which is not that bad, I guess. I do not use that accounts very often, but still such things happen.
I think this happens in some weird intervals, so being patient is all we can do at the moment.

Have a great (spamless) evening!

Pablo Mayen
Pablo Mayen  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's called "spoofing" May 20, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/101110-bulk_email_in_my_inbox_and_countinghow_to_stop_it-.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

500 failed message deliveries in one hour?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »