Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:12
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 22, 2008

I just thought we'd inform other people out there who are users of SDL Trados products. Our NOD32 antivirus software reports today (after updating to virus signature version 3120) that some SDL TagEditor DLL files contain an "Unknown virus".

Apparently this is some issue in the latest NOD32 update, and ESET are working on it as you can
... See more
I just thought we'd inform other people out there who are users of SDL Trados products. Our NOD32 antivirus software reports today (after updating to virus signature version 3120) that some SDL TagEditor DLL files contain an "Unknown virus".

Apparently this is some issue in the latest NOD32 update, and ESET are working on it as you can see in their forum place, for instance:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1246757

We just wanted to advise not to delete the DLLs for now, until ESET come up with a solution and a new virus signature version that avoids this problem. Also Adobe Acrobat and numerous other pieces of software are reported as containing viruses. If you delete the DLLs (i.e. if you quarentine the files and reboot the computer), TagEditor will probably stop working and you will need to reinstall it, just because of ESET's mistake.

If you have already put files in Quarentine, you can de-quarentine them using the Advanced View in NOD32 and choosing Tools > Quarantine.

Just in case this is useful to anyone out there!

[Edited at 2008-05-22 11:39]
Collapse

Evangelia Mouma
Evangelia Mouma  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:12
English to Greek
+ ...
same here May 22, 2008

I got this message while working on a pdf.

Thanks for sharing, I didn't know what was wrong.

E.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Deactivated ThreatSense for a while May 22, 2008

As NOD32's virus signature files are usually updated a couple of times a day, we have deactivated the file system real-time protection (ThreatSense) for the day. You can do that in (we have it in Spanish, so the names could be different in English):
> NOD32 > Setup > Setup... button in the Real-time file system protection panel > Uncheck the "Enable real-time file system protection".

Of course NOD32 complains and says that you are not protected. We will enable it again tomorro
... See more
As NOD32's virus signature files are usually updated a couple of times a day, we have deactivated the file system real-time protection (ThreatSense) for the day. You can do that in (we have it in Spanish, so the names could be different in English):
> NOD32 > Setup > Setup... button in the Real-time file system protection panel > Uncheck the "Enable real-time file system protection".

Of course NOD32 complains and says that you are not protected. We will enable it again tomorrow morning and see what happens when we run TagEditor, once the virus signatures are updated to something else than 3120.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed! May 22, 2008

Hi again everyone. ESET have just updated the signature base to 3121 and as far as we could test this fixes the problem. So you just have to manually update the signature base in NOD32 (or wait until it does it automatically, which should haven quickly) and this resolves the problem.

Now Adobe Acrobat, TagEditor, etc. run correctly. If you disabled ThreatSense, don't forget to enable it again once you have signature base 3121!!...
See more
Hi again everyone. ESET have just updated the signature base to 3121 and as far as we could test this fixes the problem. So you just have to manually update the signature base in NOD32 (or wait until it does it automatically, which should haven quickly) and this resolves the problem.

Now Adobe Acrobat, TagEditor, etc. run correctly. If you disabled ThreatSense, don't forget to enable it again once you have signature base 3121!!
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:12
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Took the bait May 23, 2008

I’ll be damned Spent some time deleting and installing back SDL and Translation Office 3000 yesterday thinking what kind of fiendish laser guided virus it may be only affecting my translation software…

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Rahi! May 23, 2008

Rahi Moosavi wrote:

I’ll be damned Spent some time deleting and installing back SDL and Translation Office 3000 yesterday thinking what kind of fiendish laser guided virus it may be only affecting my translation software…

Sorry Rahi. I posted this as soon as I discovered what was going on (just 30 minutes after it started to happen). I'm sorry it was not useful to you on time!

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:12
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Thanks May 23, 2008

I didn't mean to blame you Tomas!! I was just thinking out loud:)
Thanks for sharing the matter with us.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NOD32 antivirus spotting TagEditor files as possible viruses

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »