https://www.proz.com/forum/safe_computing/108302-paypal_%3D_do_you_trust_it.html

Paypal = do you trust it?
Thread poster: Fernanda Rocha
Fernanda Rocha
Fernanda Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...

Jun 20, 2008

Hi there! I've created a new paypal account but, as I was researching, I saw that many peple do not like/ trust it.
Do you have any "experience" in paypal? What's your opinion about it?
As we can see here, many outsources use paypal. So, I think it's bad idea not to sign up. But, at the same time, I am not really comfortable with this idea because of the problems some people described.

Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion with me....
See more
Hi there! I've created a new paypal account but, as I was researching, I saw that many peple do not like/ trust it.
As we can see here, many outsources use paypal. So, I think it's bad idea not to sign up. But, at the same time, I am not really comfortable with this idea because of the problems some people described.

Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion with me.)
Fernanda
Collapse

Carla Guerreiro
Carla Guerreiro  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:01
Member (2006)
French to Portuguese
+ ...
No problem for me Jun 20, 2008

Olá Fernanda,

I never had any problems with Paypal.
However, beware of the messages you get by mail. Don't answer them and never do what they ask you to do, because it's hard to know if there are true messages or phishing stuff.

Allergic (X)
Allergic (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, I trust it Jun 20, 2008

Hi,
I trust paypal and I never had any problems.
Just beware of the "fake paypal emails"

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:01
Member (2008)
French to English
don't really like them Jun 20, 2008

My husband pretty much has to use Paypal for his Ebay business and doesn't have many problems, but the customer service isn't very good. I use it for client payments as well, but they do take a big cut, I am thinking of switching to Moneybookers. I did have one problem a few years ago buying with Paypal. I did not manage to update payment information correctly before I purchased something on Ebay - although I thought I did, I have no idea what went wrong. So they tried to charge a credit car... See more
My husband pretty much has to use Paypal for his Ebay business and doesn't have many problems, but the customer service isn't very good. I use it for client payments as well, but they do take a big cut, I am thinking of switching to Moneybookers. I did have one problem a few years ago buying with Paypal. I did not manage to update payment information correctly before I purchased something on Ebay - although I thought I did, I have no idea what went wrong. So they tried to charge a credit card that was expired. Since it didn't go through, they listed my Paypal account as overdrawn by that amount, $80.00. When I fixed the payment info, they took $80.00 to bring my account up to 0 and then another $80 to pay the merchant, so basically they just took $80.00 and kept it for themselves. I was never able to get it straightened out. I don't know if that is anything like the other stories you heard, I would be interested to know if it happened to anyone else. This happened right after Ebay bought them out, the customer service used to be much better.Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:01
English to Polish
No serious problems Jun 20, 2008

I use paypal for quite a few years and never had problems with them. I had to get through additional verification, as my allowed amount was exceeding some limits, but it took only a few days and was quite simple.

The only thing I don't like about them are IMHO very high fees. That's why I prefer Moneybookers (though I had some problems with them, as their customer service is far from acceptable).

Anni

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, I do Jun 20, 2008

I have PayPal since 2004 and never had any problems with it. I started with a Personal account, which allows you to do everything for free. When I exceeded the limits of either receiving or sending money, I had to change to a Premier account. The difference is that now I am being charged a percentage when I receive payments, which is in most cases less than the fees of a wire transfer.

You just have to make sure when you sign in, that all information matches 100%, i.e. you must lin
... See more
I have PayPal since 2004 and never had any problems with it. I started with a Personal account, which allows you to do everything for free. When I exceeded the limits of either receiving or sending money, I had to change to a Premier account. The difference is that now I am being charged a percentage when I receive payments, which is in most cases less than the fees of a wire transfer.

You just have to make sure when you sign in, that all information matches 100%, i.e. you must link your virtual PayPal account to a real bank account so your name has to be exactly the same you use for your bank. If you write your bank account number but use another name, PayPal may cancel the operation and then it may be difficult to make a change, as the bank account stays registered under another person's name in PayPal. In brief, you have to be very precise when entering all your information and do not use nicknames or a different address, for example.

And, oh, yes, I had to open my account when I was in Holland, because they don't allow PayPal accounts in Peru.

[Edited at 2008-06-20 13:23]
Collapse

Roberto Rey
Roberto Rey  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:01
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes I trust them Jun 20, 2008

Fernanda Rocha wrote:

Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion with me.)
Fernanda

Had it for a long time and I trust Paypal... no problem...the real problem is their fees...too much for what they do. No matter what end of the money you are, you are going to get charged for NOTHING...both sides pay a fee. They earn "waaayyy" too much money left and right.

Giulia TAPPI
Giulia TAPPI  Identity Verified
France
French to Italian
+ ...
I do not like it Jun 20, 2008

I opened a Paypal account in order to sell a software, and everything was OK.
But then I started receiving strange emails, saying I had put poor ratings on other sellers, or I had unpaid items, etc.
So I got really worried and closed my Paypal account immediately.
9 months later I am still receiving emails about unpaid items, my account being limited, etc. I am sure these are fake ones, but I dislike all these problems.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:01
Dutch to English
+ ...
Convenient Jun 20, 2008

I've had Paypal for several years now and I find it very convenient. Several of my agency clients pay me right away by Paypal, whereas it may take some time to arrange for a bank transfer. It is also the only way direct clients can pay me by credit card. The fees could run high for very large payments but for average payments they are no worse than bank transfer fees and a lot less hassle. I also like being able to print out a summary of transactions at the end of the year for tax purposes. I ... See more
I've had Paypal for several years now and I find it very convenient. Several of my agency clients pay me right away by Paypal, whereas it may take some time to arrange for a bank transfer. It is also the only way direct clients can pay me by credit card. The fees could run high for very large payments but for average payments they are no worse than bank transfer fees and a lot less hassle. I also like being able to print out a summary of transactions at the end of the year for tax purposes. I have had no problems whatsoever and when I first started receiving some spam e-mails, they were most helpful in explaining what I should do.Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:01
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I like it Jun 20, 2008

I like it. It is a relatively fast way to request and receive money from clients abroad. If you learn how to request and send money, their fees are and understandable point.

Egil Presttun
Egil Presttun  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
No problems so far Jun 20, 2008

It works. The banks don't always work so well, I've got money sent back in return. Had to use PayPal to manage to get the payment through. I'm sending money from Norway, and the bank works on international payments if the recipient has a SWIFT code, but without SWIFT, I need to use PayPal. Domestic payments I always do through the bank. Wouldn't dream of PayPal in such a case.

By the way, money always stinks. You know that.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:01
Flemish to English
+ ...
Yes but, Jun 20, 2008

A couple of years ago, a customer paid by credit-card. In order be able to receive his payment, I was forced to upgrade my account. The upgrade implied that the fees withheld by paypal went up from about 1% to 3.8%. I have not used it a lot since then.
Moneybookers is cheaper and offers the same possibility of C.O.D. (cash on delivery of translation and not after a month or later).

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:01
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Moneybookers Jun 20, 2008

Much, much cheaper. But you need to have a Paypal account too as it is convenient for many people.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:01
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No problems Jun 21, 2008

I've been using both Paypal and Moneybookers for years and have had no problems. I prefer Moneybookers, but Paypal is fine.

Fernanda Rocha
Fernanda Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
THANKS!! Jul 23, 2008

I know it is kind of late, but I would like to thank you all for sharing your experiences with me.
I used my paypal account and everyhting went just fine - my problem was with my credit card company in Brazil, not with paypal! Funny, isn't it? Anyway, that's life!

Cheers!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal = do you trust it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »