AVG 8
Thread poster: Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:22
English to Spanish
Jun 22, 2008

Hi

Problem with newest version of paid AVG: Internet pages freezing and not refreshing + automatic updates seem cancelled and need to update manually

I was very happy with previous version but was recently prompted to update to AVG 8 and given a new licence number to do that (I chose the paying version to have a more complete offer than the free one and because it was very cheap).

Since the update to the new
... See more
Hi

Problem with newest version of paid AVG: Internet pages freezing and not refreshing + automatic updates seem cancelled and need to update manually

I was very happy with previous version but was recently prompted to update to AVG 8 and given a new licence number to do that (I chose the paying version to have a more complete offer than the free one and because it was very cheap).

Since the update to the new version, things are playing up a bit (sometimes), specially when it comes to doing searches on the Internet, sometimes pages freeze (even when cookies for it had been accepted) and I need to close the browser and open it again. Eventually, I suspect I will have to reinstall everything, but would like to avoid doing this for a while.

I suspect the problem is the new feature of Internet pages scanning.

Has anyone updated to version 8 recently and feels like a guinea pig? Is this a beta version? What is going on?

Thanking you in advance

Best regards,

Marta

My computer: Windows XP Service Pack 2 and AVG 8 Internet secuty package with Antirus, Spyware, Firewall, etc.

Me: average IT knowledge, not very advanced but inquisitve, careful using a computer and continually learning

Support: I have tried their support once in the past and found it a big ordeal not to get an
automatic answer, so I would rather avoid this also, hence writing here for some opinions

[Edited at 2008-06-22 10:33]

[Edited at 2008-06-22 10:34]
Collapse

Frédéric Combes
Frédéric Combes  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:22
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same difficulties Jun 22, 2008

Hi Marta,

I'm using AVG 8.0 Free. This version is very limited but also disposes of the link scanner functionality. I've noticed that my searches in google (I use mozilla firefox by the way) are slowed down because of this functionality and makes my browser even crash now and then. This can be very frustrating when you're looking for information and your browser suddenly crashes. Luckily, mozilla has a functionality which restarts immediately the browser asking you if you want to re
... See more
Hi Marta,

I'm using AVG 8.0 Free. This version is very limited but also disposes of the link scanner functionality. I've noticed that my searches in google (I use mozilla firefox by the way) are slowed down because of this functionality and makes my browser even crash now and then. This can be very frustrating when you're looking for information and your browser suddenly crashes. Luckily, mozilla has a functionality which restarts immediately the browser asking you if you want to recover your search results. Then all opened pages before the crash are opened again.

Nevertheless, I have disabled this link scanner functionality and now everything works fine. Just try it and you'll notice the difference immediately. I hope it works for you.

[Edited at 2008-06-22 10:50]
Collapse

Manuel Leite
Manuel Leite  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Free version Jun 22, 2008

Hi Marta,

I've installed AVG 8 a few weeks ago, but in its free version. This is no beta version, or at least it's not presented as such.
I too have Windows XP SP2. No problems so far, everything working as usual, including the updates.
The only issue is that, in the meantime, I upgraded from Firefox 2 to 3 and the Internet page scanning stoped working, but that's just because Firefox 3 isn't yet supported.
Internet Explorer working fine as well, although I don't u
... See more
Hi Marta,

I've installed AVG 8 a few weeks ago, but in its free version. This is no beta version, or at least it's not presented as such.
I too have Windows XP SP2. No problems so far, everything working as usual, including the updates.
The only issue is that, in the meantime, I upgraded from Firefox 2 to 3 and the Internet page scanning stoped working, but that's just because Firefox 3 isn't yet supported.
Internet Explorer working fine as well, although I don't use it much.

Best,

Manuel
Collapse

Cagdas Karatas
Cagdas Karatas  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:22
English to Turkish
It is better with Firefox and Jun 22, 2008

the link scanner functionality turned off. I have no problems surfing although there is Vista installed on my notebook.

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Firefox Jun 22, 2008

Hi

Thanks for your comments and opinions!

I am using Firefox also, but I think it is the same problem with Explorer, as I tried it the other day when everything got frozen and the problem was the same.

I am glad to know I am not the only one and will turn the Active Surf-Shield off also, I am very careful surfing anyway.

Best regards,

Marta

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Spyware function Jun 22, 2008

I also use the free version and was delighted to find it included an automatic rather than manual Anti-spyware function.
However, some problem I had last week prompted me to carry out a spyware scan.
I did this using Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal and it identified 146 medium risk objects.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:22
Spanish
+ ...
Version 7 is better Jun 22, 2008

The new extra features are not part of version 8 so after 30 days they will be disabled. On the other hand, the new security feature scans web pages every time a new one is loaded causing browsing to become painfully slow. I couldn't stand it and switched to AVG 7.5 Professional which at one point was released as a freeware by AVG (the professional version will work until the end of 2008). I read many discussions and blogs about it and most people were rolling back to 7.5.

Here's th
... See more
The new extra features are not part of version 8 so after 30 days they will be disabled. On the other hand, the new security feature scans web pages every time a new one is loaded causing browsing to become painfully slow. I couldn't stand it and switched to AVG 7.5 Professional which at one point was released as a freeware by AVG (the professional version will work until the end of 2008). I read many discussions and blogs about it and most people were rolling back to 7.5.

Here's the link: http://tech-shinobi.com/archives/download/download-grisoft-avg-75-professional-for-free.html
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Exactly the same problem Jun 22, 2008

Frédéric Combes wrote:

... my searches in google (I use mozilla firefox by the way) are slowed down because of this functionality and makes my browser even crash now and then. ... Luckily, mozilla has a functionality which restarts immediately the browser asking you if you want to recover your search results.

[Edited at 2008-06-22 10:50]

Thanks for the tip Frederic:-)

[Edited at 2008-06-22 21:51]

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:22
English to Spanish
I also... Jun 23, 2008

deactivated the link scanning; although it didn't crash it was painfully slow (both on Firefox 3 and IE 7). However, can I point you to Sandboxie? (free for personal use). If you just *need* to click on that suspicious link, you can fire it up to create a virtual instance of your browser of choice where everything works as before but all changes are temporary and discarded when you end your session (avoiding spyware, malware, hijacks, etc.) ... See more
deactivated the link scanning; although it didn't crash it was painfully slow (both on Firefox 3 and IE 7). However, can I point you to Sandboxie? (free for personal use). If you just *need* to click on that suspicious link, you can fire it up to create a virtual instance of your browser of choice where everything works as before but all changes are temporary and discarded when you end your session (avoiding spyware, malware, hijacks, etc.) It's really seamless, fast, and it does wonders.

[Edited at 2008-06-23 04:56]
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
try a different one. Jun 23, 2008

The new version AVG has become a bit heavy and is most obvious when accessing internet. There are two other equally good and bona fida "mainstream free anti-virus" applications you may wish to try:

1. AVAST: www.avast.com
2. Avira AntiVir: www.free-av.com

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:22
Spanish
+ ...
New link Jul 3, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Here's the link: http://tech-shinobi.com/archives/download/download-grisoft-avg-75-professional-for-free.html

I was told the link is not working because the site is under maintenance so I uploaded the installer somewhere else: http://www.4shared.com/file/53718142/46836974/avg7_503a1171_vnu.html

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
feed back Aug 19, 2008

Hi

Just to comment that I tried disabling the surfing scanning options and it does not solve a thing. These options might be disabled after 30 days in the free version but most certainly not on the paying version.

Additionally, a general computer scan with AVG 8 in my case took 3 hours!..., whereas now that I have, of course, gone back to old friend AVG 7.5 it takes only 1 hour.

Definitively worth going back to 7.5, at least for now.

Thank you
... See more
Hi

Just to comment that I tried disabling the surfing scanning options and it does not solve a thing. These options might be disabled after 30 days in the free version but most certainly not on the paying version.

Additionally, a general computer scan with AVG 8 in my case took 3 hours!..., whereas now that I have, of course, gone back to old friend AVG 7.5 it takes only 1 hour.

Definitively worth going back to 7.5, at least for now.

Thank you for all your opinions and suggestion. May well be worthy shopping around for the ones you have mentioned later on when my contract expires.

Regards,

Marta

[Edited at 2008-08-19 18:10]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AVG 8

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »