Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Strange email out of Nigeria (supposedly from translation agency director stranded in Nigeria)
Thread poster: Angela B
Angela B
Angela B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:40
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Angela! Feb 19, 2009

Angela Dickson wrote:

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Angela Burt wrote:
PS. Does this mean the nice Nigerian man who wants me to keep his deceased wife's savings (tragic story) is a phoney too?

Angela, this whole world of Nigerian scams is so old! It even has a name, "Nigerian letter". Before Internet was widespread, the letters came on paper to the managers of SMBs all over Europe and the US, and many of them fell in the trick and were robbed of their money from their bank accounts when they gave the account numbers and keys "to receive all the money"...

I know I'm not the Angela you're addressing, but I feel I need to come to the other Angela's defence here - I'm pretty sure she knows full well about Nigerian scams. I hope you were just being ironic, as she undoubtedly was.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ok Ok! Feb 19, 2009

Angela Burt wrote:
Angela Burt wrote:
PS. Does this mean the nice Nigerian man who wants me to keep his deceased wife's savings (tragic story) is a phoney too?

Tomás, that was meant as a joke...oh dear.

Oh my. I must certainly improve my English! Did not mean to disturb anyone. Sorry if I did!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Angelativism"? Feb 19, 2009

Angela Dickson wrote:
I know I'm not the Angela you're addressing, but I feel I need to come to the other Angela's defence here - I'm pretty sure she knows full well about Nigerian scams. I hope you were just being ironic, as she undoubtedly was.

Hm... I think I must look for more Thomases out there and join forces!

Ok, sorry, sorry. I just could not resist temptation. I am a weak man!

Angela B
Angela B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, my fault... Feb 19, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Angela Burt wrote:
Angela Burt wrote:

Tomás, that was meant as a joke...oh dear.

Oh my. I must certainly improve my English! Did not mean to disturb anyone. Sorry if I did!

Don't worry Tomás, it was a rubbish joke anyway...

As I already mentioned, I posted this curious incident to see if anyone else had received the same email, and because, all too aware of those scams out there, I really wasn't sure whether it was the agency itself that shouldn't be trusted. As the others suggest, though, it just seems this agency's email account has been hacked by a likely scamster. Although I have never actually worked for the agency in question, it all seems above board!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I still have those 3 million dollars from that lovely Nigerian to deal with...

[Edited at 2009-02-19 16:25 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I could do.... Feb 19, 2009

Angela Burt wrote:
Now, if you'll excuse me, I still have those 3 million dollars from that lovely Nigerian to deal with...

I could do with a new car Angela. Please! Please! Just a small one with thin spare wheel if need be! Hugs from Guadalajara!

VIALAN
VIALAN  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:40
Russian to English
+ ...
Reply from VIALAN Agency Feb 19, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to you to let you know, that the "Help me" message from [email protected] was not send by me!

Some hackers cracked my gmail account and have sent this letter to all my contacts. (They also have cancelled my old account and I don't have access to it at this time.)

I have submitted complain regarding this matter to
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to you to let you know, that the "Help me" message from [email protected] was not send by me!

Some hackers cracked my gmail account and have sent this letter to all my contacts. (They also have cancelled my old account and I don't have access to it at this time.)

I have submitted complain regarding this matter to FBI at www.ic3.gov today.

I have opened a new email box : [email protected]

Please save my new e-mail address, in case - I will not be able to retrieve my old account.

Thank you!

Alla Khoroshkova
Managing Director
VIALAN Agency

Angela Burt wrote:

Without trying to sound overly dramatic, I have just received a rather strange email from someone purporting to be the director of a translation agency in the US. I have never worked for this agency, but did receive an email from them about 7 months ago asking for a quote for a project. The company's Blue Board rating is 5. So far so good..

However, in today's email, the company director claims to be stranded in Nigeria, having lost all of his belongings and in desperate need of money to pay an outstanding hotel bill, food and a flight back home, totalling $2000, so if I could be so kind as to wing it to him via Western Union as soon as possible. He promises to pay the money back as soon as he is back in the office.

Does this strike anyone else as just a little strange? Has anyone else received this? Or is it just me being too suspicious of a genuine businessman turning to his loyal family of translators in his hour of need?...

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-19 12:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-02-19 21:52 GMT]
Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:40
Japanese to English
Why use gmail for business? Feb 19, 2009

http://lifehacker.com/5110737/lessons-learned-from-a-hacked-gmail-account

http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/google-gmail-e-mail-hijack-technique/

I would have thought "I'm sorry for the inconvenience" was necessary
... See more
http://lifehacker.com/5110737/lessons-learned-from-a-hacked-gmail-account

http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/google-gmail-e-mail-hijack-technique/

I would have thought "I'm sorry for the inconvenience" was necessary in this case.

[Edited at 2009-02-20 00:36 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange email out of Nigeria (supposedly from translation agency director stranded in Nigeria)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »