Local time: 19:47
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 15, 2004

Apparently the following e-mail is currently sent out to many people:

Sender: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Submit a Virus Sample

The sample file you sent contains a new virus version of buppa.k.
Please update your virus scanner with the attached dat file.

Best Regards,
Keria Reynolds

+++ Attachment: No Virus found... See more
Apparently the following e-mail is currently sent out to many people:

The sample file you sent contains a new virus version of buppa.k.
Please update your virus scanner with the attached dat file.

Best Regards,
Keria Reynolds

+++ Attachment: No Virus found
+++ MessageLabs AntiVirus - www.messagelabs.com

As one unlucky person found out (duh!) clicking on the provided link will infect your computer with a variant of the Netsky virus.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from my "ISP" informing me that my e-mail inbox capacity (according to the message: 16 MB although I have 25 MB with lots of it still unused) had been exceeded, incoming e-mail was being blocked, and if I wanted I could increase my capacity by clicking on the provided link...

Ironically, today, my real ISP increased my mailbox size to 2 GB!

But as a warning: Never click on any links provided by e-mails, even if they look the real thing! Addresses, logos, graphics etc. are easily available to make it appear real.

Better be safe than sorry!
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yahoo too? Jun 15, 2004

I had one today apparently from Yahoo, offering to increase mailbox capacity from 10 MB to 100 MB. I simply deleted it at the time as I hardly ever use Yahoo and wasn't interested. I was not particularly suspicious of it, but having read your posting, I now am. Having deleted it, I cannot give any more details than that.

[Edited at 2004-06-15 21:28]

Sherey Gould
Sherey Gould  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
German to English
The Yahoo email is legit Jun 15, 2004

The Yahoo email is legit - see previous topic from earlier this morning (http://www.proz.com/topic/22025) - except you don't have to "do" anything; they've already done it all automatically for you (if one has a paying or even non-paying Yahoo account).
It's legit... and it's great (in my opinion... and so far!)

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not all Yahoo e-mail is legit... Jun 15, 2004

The e-mail I received first didn't have a subject. Normally, when SBC Yahoo informs me that I exceeded my limit, it says so in the subject. The information about my max. capacity and actual usage was completely off. Plus, I was way under my limit!
Since I didn't click on the link, I have no proof that this was not kosher, but everything points to it.

The second e-mail from SBC Yahoo was legit, informing me about the upgrade. This is the one referred to in the other topic you m
... See more
The e-mail I received first didn't have a subject. Normally, when SBC Yahoo informs me that I exceeded my limit, it says so in the subject. The information about my max. capacity and actual usage was completely off. Plus, I was way under my limit!
Since I didn't click on the link, I have no proof that this was not kosher, but everything points to it.

The second e-mail from SBC Yahoo was legit, informing me about the upgrade. This is the one referred to in the other topic you mention. I didn't have to click on anything, they just did it. That's probably the type of e-mail you received, Jack.

[Edited at 2004-06-15 21:58]
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
not only symantec Jun 15, 2004

Heike Behl, Ph.D. wrote:

I also received these kind of emails from (supposedly) different antivirus companies (McAfee, TrendMicro, etc).
I don't open A N Y T H I N G. But anyway, my Mailwasher and PC Cillin stopped them all before I had the chance.

Keep your eyes open and your anti-vir updated
Cheers,
Grace.

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:47
Czech to German
+ ...
... and not only new viruses Jun 17, 2004

Just now I got a mail to my German mailbox with the headline "Important" from a somebody I know so I opened it and found about the same text as you had:

"Please read the attached file!

+++ Kaspersky AntiVirus - www.kaspersky.com"

As the whole thing looked rather fishy and there was an "application.exe" of about 40 KB attached to it I fo
... See more
Just now I got a mail to my German mailbox with the headline "Important" from a somebody I know so I opened it and found about the same text as you had:

"Please read the attached file!

+++ Kaspersky AntiVirus - www.kaspersky.com"

As the whole thing looked rather fishy and there was an "application.exe" of about 40 KB attached to it I forwarded it to my Czech address where they are more user-friendly and delete viruses before they reach the recipient and there it turned out to have been infected by Win32/Netsky.Q worm.
So even with known senders you have to be very careful!

Charlotte
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning! New virus attacks

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »