Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:05
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 23, 2004

I am in the middle of running a virus scan and it has discovered a load of trojans etc in my temp file. So this has got me wondering: what administration should one do on a monthly basis to help maintain your PC?

Things I can think of:

* Backups (on a daily basis)!
* Regular virus scan
* Disk defrag
* Empty recycle bin

What else should I be doing?

Thanks,

Joanne

[Edited at 2004-06-23 13:50]

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:05
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
There is a lot of things you can do, Jun 23, 2004

but don't forget regular updates of Windows, Office, firewall software, virus signatures etc. Backups and updates are the most important things, IMHO. As for virus scan, check your software - there should be a scheduler - it can do it for you, as well as the updates.
Emptying recycle bin is only important, when your hard disc becomes full - for freeing space.
Download and install Ad-w
... See more
but don't forget regular updates of Windows, Office, firewall software, virus signatures etc. Backups and updates are the most important things, IMHO. As for virus scan, check your software - there should be a scheduler - it can do it for you, as well as the updates.
Emptying recycle bin is only important, when your hard disc becomes full - for freeing space.
Download and install Ad-ware(http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/) - so you can delete spyware from your computer.

Andrzej
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:05
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Protect Your PC Jun 23, 2004

I think protection is very important these days. You can follow Microsoft's advice:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

(Use a firewall, get updates, use up-to-date antivirus.) The new Windows XP Service Pack 2 puts a lot of emphasis on security for common users, so you should download it as soon as it's released.

[Edited at 2004-06-23 16:46]

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Steps which can be taken Jun 23, 2004

Hello Joanne,

There are many steps which can be taken, but at the start I would strongly recommend you these steps:

- Regular Windows update. This should really be done on a regular basis.

- Virus protection, e.g. Norton AntiVirus. The program gets updated lists as soon as you go online, very comfortable stuff.

- Backup copies, preferrably to an external HDD which you can disconnect from your computer whenever you want (just think about thunde
... See more
Hello Joanne,

There are many steps which can be taken, but at the start I would strongly recommend you these steps:

- Regular Windows update. This should really be done on a regular basis.

- Virus protection, e.g. Norton AntiVirus. The program gets updated lists as soon as you go online, very comfortable stuff.

- Backup copies, preferrably to an external HDD which you can disconnect from your computer whenever you want (just think about thunderstorms, theft during holidays etc.). I use PowerQuest Image Drive which indeed is a very comfortable program. You can easily setup your time-table for any backups. But do check up regularly if the backups really are carried out - there are many cases when users thought they had saved all the files, but the last 3 weeks were missing.

- UPS (uninterrupted power supply) which can be your lifeline if the power supply suddenly breaks down, or if there's a huge current peak (thunderstorms again). On one side, this box works as a "rechargeable battery" and lets you shut down all program safely within 5-10 minutes after power failure (depending on how many devices you have connected), and on the other side as a filter against all type of current fluctuations.

Also important, but in my mind not very crucial:

- Anti Spam Program (e.g. Norton)
- Disk defragmentation
- Empty recycle bin

As for backups, never assume a HDD will work forever. Always do your double or triple copies on CD (appr. 700 MB) or DVD (appr. 4 GB). Your translations, glossaries, client directories are your assets you need for doing your job.

Kind regards,
Erik
Erik Hansson
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail [email protected]
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.technical-translators.net
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654

[Edited at 2004-06-23 16:47]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips for PC Administration?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »