Thread poster: Kardi Kho
Kardi Kho
Kardi Kho  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 19:09
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Aug 17, 2004

I have been trying to attach an html file I have just translated to my yahoo mail but with no success. Yahoo keeps saying that the file is infected and cannot be attached. I then ran Norton AntiVirus (I use the latest version, SystemWorks 2004, with the virus definitions updated) but Norton found no virus on my computer. Since Yahoo also uses Norton to scan its attachements, how come it detected a virus when my antivir did not? I also tried HouseCall online virus scan with the same result: my co... See more
I have been trying to attach an html file I have just translated to my yahoo mail but with no success. Yahoo keeps saying that the file is infected and cannot be attached. I then ran Norton AntiVirus (I use the latest version, SystemWorks 2004, with the virus definitions updated) but Norton found no virus on my computer. Since Yahoo also uses Norton to scan its attachements, how come it detected a virus when my antivir did not? I also tried HouseCall online virus scan with the same result: my computer was clean. Now I am wondering if my html file is really infected as this only happens to this one file, I had no problems attaching other html files.

[Edited at 2004-08-17 01:47]
Collapse

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 20:09
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
You send the file with OE. Aug 17, 2004

I don't know if your HTML has been infected . But I assume that you send the file through in your internet explorer.

You can choose to send your Email using OE( Outlook Express) or similiar Email client softwares since Yahoo will not inspect viruses in this way .

But if the receiver also use a Yahoo mailbox, he/she have to receive the file using an Email client software to receive your Email.

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:09
English to German
Try zipping the file... Aug 17, 2004

...before you attach it. Always a good idea.

Regards,
Stefan

Kardi Kho
Kardi Kho  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 19:09
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is my HTML file infected or not? Aug 17, 2004

Hi NieJing, Stefan, thanks for your replies. Actually I managed to send the file using my Hotmail account as Hotmail did not detect any virus. With Yahoo, I did try to zip the file before attaching it but Yahoo came back with the same message, the file was infected. What really puzzles me now is that is my HTML file infected or not. Does anyone have an idea why this might be?

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
use another email account Aug 17, 2004

You could create another free email account quickly with hotmail or mail.com for example in about 5 minutes and then try to send it that way. If another email provider says the file is infected then I certainly wouldn't send it until it's clean.
Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot attach an html file to my yahoo mail

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »