Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How to get rid of continoulsy popping new windows of Microsoft Explorer?
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:03
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Oct 31, 2004

With Windows XP on my daughters PC I cannot get rid of continously popping up new windows of Microsoft Explorer (6), pointing to search sites and other "goodies".
I have installed AdAware and TrojanHunter and deleted everything, what was suspicious.
On top I deleted ALL cookies, all internet temporary files and the whole history, but to no avail, the windows keep popping up.

Where can I find a solution for this? Has someone experienced something similar?

Thank you very much
Jerzy

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
try stopzilla Oct 31, 2004

to avoid unwanted popups and bannerads. Brandis

xxxtazdog
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Google toolbar Oct 31, 2004

Apart from being useful for its search feature, the Google toolbar kills pop-ups. You can get it (or find out more about it) here:

http://toolbar.google.com/

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 01:03
English to German
+ ...
Save free download!! Oct 31, 2004

Hello Jerzy

I hope this helps

http://www.paretologic.com/xoftspy/lp/14/

Hijack this is a great tool too

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_virus&message.id=7780&highlight=#7780

Regards,
Andrea

Sorry Jerzy I just realized that once you scan your PC with my first suggestion you would need to register and buy the software. The good thing is it shows you what kind of malware is installed and if you install Hijack this you know what to delete. Hijack this show you a log-

[Edited at 2004-10-31 11:48]

Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:03
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Service Pack 2 Oct 31, 2004

Yesterday I finally gave up my resistance and downloaded Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. After that, I discovered that it comes with a built-in popup killer, so between my google toolbar and XP popup killer I feel pretty protected against annoying ads.

As for real painful cookies and trojans I rely on NoAdware (very efficient and always updated) together with HijackThis.

Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
Did you check Internet Options / General / Home page setting? Oct 31, 2004

Some malware, or websites visited changes your internet options automatically without first asking you. The first thing they change is the "home page" setting. So that whenever you launch IE, it automatically goes to the website defined in "homepage."

Check "Internet Options/General" tab, first box to see if the "Address" box contains a weblink. If yes, simply press "Use Blank" this will set your homepage default to blank page.
h.i.h.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here some more information Oct 31, 2004

First of all: Service Pack 2 gives a lot of improvement, so we got rid of many corrupted things.
I must admit, that she visits music download pages, fashion sites and everything, what I wouldn't vist, because the potential risk of getting spyware and similar is high. But nevertheless, she needs this, so I do not want to stop her, but to stop the trojans.
We have Google tool bar installed, so pop-ups are not the problem anymore. Nor are this adware or trojans, as the PC is scanned with AdAware and TrojanHunter, and everything suspected has been deleted.
We do not have the problem of changing the start page, as this is protected too.
The problem we have is, that after starting Internet Explorer after some time next window pops up (it is another instance of Internet Explorer), comes in front of the previos window and shows either a search page, an advertisment page or shows the error message "This page cannot be shown" (the last one because of the settings, which do block cookies from unknown services).
She has antivirus installed and working, so I do not think that there is a danger for her PC. The only thing is, that it is annoying, not more. And I want to avoid reinstalling the whole thing.

Thank you for your answers as far, I'll try the proposed solutions when time permits and post the results here.

Kind regards
Jerzy

Prisma
English to Swedish
+ ...
Annoying pop ups Oct 31, 2004

I have experienced the same problems with pop-ups, often ads, or prompts to download additional software to make the pop-up ads run better. Very annoying.
Pop up stoppers such as the google tool bar are good but doesn't always cut the mustard.

This is my solution: (Note to J.C: this will ONLY work if you can identify the hosting server for the pop ups, and that server is not the same as the web server you are browsing. If the host webpage your daughter likes to visit stores the ads locally, you're out of luck).

Go to the Start button
Open Run
Paste this string in the blank space
notepad.exe %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Click ok
You now have a file in which you can fool your daughter's PC to look for the address 0.0.0.0 when it tries to load the ads.
That is, it can't find any such addresses and the pop ups stops.
You can add any server you like, as long as you know the names. Check the status bar in Internet Explorer as the page is being loaded, and look for 3rd-party addresses.

For example, the NZ Herald newspaper (www.nzherald.co.nz) includes pop-ups from ads.whi.co.nz and creative.whi.co.nz, so I have the following lines in my HOSTS file:

127.0.0.1 localhost

# These sites are banned!
0.0.0.0 ads.whi.co.nz
0.0.0.0 creative.whi.co.nz

I hope this will help you out.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No problem with Firefox Oct 31, 2004

I use Firefox instead of IE and have no pop-ups or very little of this stuff.

Prisma
English to Swedish
+ ...
Annoying pop ups - take 2 Oct 31, 2004

I just like to add this to my previous posting:

Here's a website dedicated to the listing of ad servers we can all start blocking!
http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers
There's instructions further down the page, too.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Adware Oct 31, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

The problem we have is, that after starting Internet Explorer after some time next window pops up (it is another instance of Internet Explorer), comes in front of the previos window and shows either a search page, an advertisment page or shows the error message "This page cannot be shown" (the last one because of the settings, which do block cookies from unknown services).

It looks like there is still some adware in your computer. Scan it again with the latest version of Ad-aware and SpyBot Search and Destroy (one of these tools could find stuff that the other one doesn't).

If this doesn't help, try to find out where the advertisements are coming from and search for this site name together with "adware".

You could also try installing an alternative browser, such as Mozilla.

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Spyware Doctor, and some manual fixes Oct 31, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
With Windows XP on my daughters PC I cannot get rid of continously popping up new windows of Microsoft Explorer

Dear Jerzy and others who suffer the same problem,

I had something similar with my 'puter. First, I've installed Spyware Doctor (and since the moment I've been using it at the background).

http://www.download.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=spyware&tg=dl-2001&search.x=26&search.y=1

The great thing about Spyware Doctor is that it's a freeware (free version not only checks for ad- & spyware, but also removes it and stays on guard, deleting all suspicious cookies, etc.).

Second, you may open your Windows directory, then System32. Seek for a file named "explorer.exe" there. This is not the Windows Explorer or IE! This is a small 36Kb file without visible icon shown. Just name and size. Delete it manually if you found it.

Third, you may consider Norton Systemworks 2005. It's a great software, and, besides of many things, it protects your computer and e-mail from viruses, worms, trojans, etc. Together with Spyware Doctor they look very good to me. I have no problems since the moment I've installed both.

[Edited at 2004-10-31 15:26]

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Another couple of programs;-) Oct 31, 2004

Hi Jerzy,

Well, apart from suggesting to move to another browser (Mozilla or Mozilla Firefox for ex.) I see that almost all programs have been suggested;-) apart from:

Webroot Spy Sweeper

SpyBot and SpyWare Blaster (the two can work together for a better protection, the latter has protection also for Mozilla Firefox)

PestPatrol

Perhaps it is worth trying them, too

Happy Sunday,

Giuliana

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:03
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
System restore to date prior to infection with XP Oct 31, 2004

If none of the other solutions work, trying doing a system restore (Windows XP allows you to reset your computer back to any date you choose - i.e. before your computer was infected. This will eliminate your problem.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

With Windows XP on my daughters PC I cannot get rid of continously popping up new windows of Microsoft Explorer (6), pointing to search sites and other "goodies".
I have installed AdAware and TrojanHunter and deleted everything, what was suspicious.
On top I deleted ALL cookies, all internet temporary files and the whole history, but to no avail, the windows keep popping up.

Where can I find a solution for this? Has someone experienced something similar?

Thank you very much
Jerzy

Anthony Tamburro
English to Italian
+ ...
Try Spybot and then using a different internet browser Oct 31, 2004

Between Spybot and AdAware, most of the worst Spyware and cookies should be blocked. Since I stopped using IE, my computer has been running much better - Netscape is an alternative, but Firefox by Mozilla is better - I don't get pop-ups at all any more. It's also free to download.
Having had really bad computer problems recently, I found out that since IE is the most commonly used internet browser, there are millions of programs written to infect it. Firefox is more stable and harder to infect. It's not a coincidence that Microsoft recently issued 16 "serious" updates for IE - basically accepting tha fact that their browser is susceptible to high level infection by viruses and spyware.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get rid of continoulsy popping new windows of Microsoft Explorer?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs