Thread poster: alx
alx
alx  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:47
English to French
+ ...
Nov 30, 2004

Hi there,

I got a (dirty) dozen of emails apparently containing viruses, according to their title, which I did not open, in my Proz free web mail.
Did anyone have them too and do we get rid of this plague?
There is no point in having a web mail service if it's so easy to hack as we especially cannot afford to transmit virus to clients!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:47
SITE FOUNDER
Nothing to do with ProZ.com Nov 30, 2004

There is a thing email viruses do called "spoofing" that makes them look like they came from somewhere that they didn't. This is probably happening here. For more info, search the forums for "spoofing".

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 09:47
Italian to Danish
+ ...
I've been spoofed, too! :-) Nov 30, 2004

This morning, strange e-mails appeared in my "work" mailbox, senders totally unknown, so I don't fall for these tricks, just cancel.
But as to "new contacts" I did actually get an e-mail the other day from a ProZ.com member through my profile, and I replied to that mail. So I guess I entered some weird circle in this way... I'll just be v e r y careful for the next few weeks so that I don't accidentally open one of these vicious things!

Sigh!

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 02:47
English to German
+ ...
Proz. is a secure site Nov 30, 2004

Hello (-:

Dont worry this has nothing to do with proz what happend here is that there is a technique used to gain unauthorized access to computers, whereby the intruder sends messages to a computer with an IP address indicating that the message is coming from a TRUSTED HOST. It happend to me too but not from proz.com
To engage in IP spoofing, a hacker must first use different techniques to find an IP address of a trusted host and then change the data headers so that it looks
... See more
Hello (-:

Dont worry this has nothing to do with proz what happend here is that there is a technique used to gain unauthorized access to computers, whereby the intruder sends messages to a computer with an IP address indicating that the message is coming from a TRUSTED HOST. It happend to me too but not from proz.com
To engage in IP spoofing, a hacker must first use different techniques to find an IP address of a trusted host and then change the data headers so that it looks like that the data are coming from that host. (But now we learned something)

There a new routers and firewalls to prevent this!

Kind regards,
Andrea
Collapse

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
e-mail impersonation is a "growing business" Dec 1, 2004

It seems that many spammers (or virus senders, etc.) are more and more resorting to different techniques including e-mail impersonation (where they send e-mails to zillions of people and these e-mails seem to have come from your e-mail address; but if anyone inspects their full header information, it can be seen that these e-mails originate from dozens of different host addresses all over the world.

Currently, major e-mail service providers can't do anything about this. But this wil
... See more
It seems that many spammers (or virus senders, etc.) are more and more resorting to different techniques including e-mail impersonation (where they send e-mails to zillions of people and these e-mails seem to have come from your e-mail address; but if anyone inspects their full header information, it can be seen that these e-mails originate from dozens of different host addresses all over the world.

Currently, major e-mail service providers can't do anything about this. But this will change soon, possibly Internet users will lose some privacy in the process (or have to pay just for sending e-mails, as some companies are pushing for). Either way the consequences of this spamming/impersonation thing will be bad for all.
Collapse

alx
alx  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:47
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spoof is gone! Dec 1, 2004

Thank you all for reassuring me. Apparently it has stopped now. I've always been fascinated by the fact that even in virtual land, people can be troublemakers and try to hassle you, but the question is: why the hell?

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Most likely nothing personal Dec 1, 2004

Sometimes such things may be motivated by personal grudges, etc. but nearly all the time there are no personal issues at all. People are scratching to make money by spamming a hundred million e-mail addresses, or trying to propagate their newly developed viruses, etc.

In the 90s, when the Internet got to play a larger in role in personal communications and commerce, the stage was set for such things. There was such a thing as "unsolicited posting" before the Internet. Now, such peop
... See more
Sometimes such things may be motivated by personal grudges, etc. but nearly all the time there are no personal issues at all. People are scratching to make money by spamming a hundred million e-mail addresses, or trying to propagate their newly developed viruses, etc.

In the 90s, when the Internet got to play a larger in role in personal communications and commerce, the stage was set for such things. There was such a thing as "unsolicited posting" before the Internet. Now, such people have much greater capabilities, since e-mails cost nearly nothing and the Internet provides many new opportunities and was not designed as a medium where people can be traced easily.

[Edited at 2004-12-02 18:12]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virus in proz web mail!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »