Warning: charity scammers
Thread poster: Lesley Clayton
Lesley Clayton
France
Local time: 04:54
French to English
+ ...
Dec 7, 2004

I've just received an email (in French) through my website purporting to be from Médecins Sans Frontières asking for donations. The email content looks genuine and all of it appears to be clickable, but I haven't clicked it, of course.

Now, I hardly think an organisation such as MSF would send out unsolicited emails asking for donations in the same way as spammers/scammers do, so I looked at the properties. Among a lot of stuff I don’t understand I found a reply address. I took the second half of the reply address and added www. in front to make a web address, expecting a website to come up. Instead, my download manager came up asking if I wanted to save or open “application/x-trash”. No way!

So this is just to warn any kind-hearted people in this ‘season of goodwill’ not to fall for it. If you want to donate to any charity online, find the site through a search engine (not through a link in an unsolicited e-mail) and donate directly from the official site.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning: charity scammers

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs