https://www.proz.com/forum/safe_computing/30468-virus_posing_as_a_translation_related_e_mail.html

Virus posing as a translation-related e-mail
Thread poster: Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:31
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2005

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to pass along this warning. I got an e-mail from a generic (hotmail) address entitled "Your translation." I opened the body and it said "your text is below" where there was a winzip file whose name was LSabadosa.zip! (i.e. my name!). I virus scanned the whole thing and of course it was just one huge virus waiting to explode onto my computer. Can you believe this? Someone actually sent me this thing with me in mind, knowing full well what I do for a living
... See more
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to pass along this warning. I got an e-mail from a generic (hotmail) address entitled "Your translation." I opened the body and it said "your text is below" where there was a winzip file whose name was LSabadosa.zip! (i.e. my name!). I virus scanned the whole thing and of course it was just one huge virus waiting to explode onto my computer. Can you believe this? Someone actually sent me this thing with me in mind, knowing full well what I do for a living. Be careful out there. There are some people who have WAY too much time on their hands!

[Edited at 2005-03-15 19:32]
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
common behaviour Mar 15, 2005

Hi,

I would not worry too much about it. It is very possible that virus spreading scripts collect information from various computers and sites where your address is also available, and occasionally manage to package a credible message with your name and your activity strategically placed to make you click on the virus file.

I also received a few credible messages with virus attachment - although not with the word translation in them (but with "test", "text", "sample").
... See more
Hi,

I would not worry too much about it. It is very possible that virus spreading scripts collect information from various computers and sites where your address is also available, and occasionally manage to package a credible message with your name and your activity strategically placed to make you click on the virus file.

I also received a few credible messages with virus attachment - although not with the word translation in them (but with "test", "text", "sample").

May-be you should rather wonder why your anti-virus did not block and delete the attachment immediately, when you received the message. Although this can happen with very new files, it could be a sign that you are not updating your AV often enough, or you did not set the scan mail option on, or you could consider changing it altogether for another AV package.

Luca
Collapse

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:31
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't worry Mar 15, 2005

May-be you should rather wonder why your anti-virus did not block and delete the attachment immediately, when you received the message. Although this can happen with very new files, it could be a sign that you are not updating your AV often enough, or you did not set the scan mail option on, or you could consider changing it altogether for another AV package.

Luca[/quote]

It actually did block it which is why I still have a computer to write this message on. No way wou
... See more

Luca[/quote]

It actually did block it which is why I still have a computer to write this message on. No way would I work in this business of extensive e-mails and attachments without having my AV up-dated and all scans on.
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:31
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Don't open Mar 15, 2005

Only ""your text is below"?

How do do you know where it came from?

Don't open it, unless there is a credible message and signature.

Then, maybe try the telephone. Old technology, but remarkably profitable.

HTH

Chris

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
it wasn't necessarily someone targeting you specifically Mar 20, 2005

A lot of viruses just go into websites with email addresses or the address book of someone whose computer has the virus and simply rename zip files or subject lines of an email message in order to "personalize" the virus, and increase its chances of proliferating.
Don't take it personally - but you're right, too much time on their hands and malicious intent.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virus posing as a translation-related e-mail

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »