Office XP with front page (or is it a scam?)
Thread poster: Andrea Re
Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:55
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 22, 2005

I am sorry to post again, but I am becoming really obsessed.
For a wee while now when I open an Office application a little window pops up saying that Office XP with Front Page needs configuring.... and it is looking for the CD. For now I have done nothing because I couldn't understand where this thing came from. As I thought about it I think it started when, by accident, I said yes when asked if I wanted to download a korean font, or something of that sort (BIG error).
I could live
... See more
I am sorry to post again, but I am becoming really obsessed.
For a wee while now when I open an Office application a little window pops up saying that Office XP with Front Page needs configuring.... and it is looking for the CD. For now I have done nothing because I couldn't understand where this thing came from. As I thought about it I think it started when, by accident, I said yes when asked if I wanted to download a korean font, or something of that sort (BIG error).
I could live with this nuisance pop-up thing it if it wasn't for excel that doesn't want to open....

Anybody seen the same thing happening to their computer? Is it safe to stick the CD in, or would that unleash the power of darkness and bring the world to an end?

Thanks again from an obsessed

Andrea
Collapse

sandra lewis
sandra lewis
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:55
English to French
+ ...
I got the same too! Jun 22, 2005

I got the same too but it only started recently, about one month after I put on XP. It looks like a nasty little program in the wrong place. I located it once but I cannot see it anymore. Which proves it moves around like a bug. I really don't know how to deal with it and hope others Prozians might help.

Kind regards

Sandra

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 07:55
English
It's trying to get the Korean Font working? Jun 26, 2005

"when I open an Office application a little window pops up saying that Office XP with Front Page needs configuring.... and it is looking for the CD." .... "As I thought about it I think it started when, by accident, I said yes when asked if I wanted to download a korean font, or something of that sort (BIG error)."

I see that fairly often, except it wants me to install the French spell-checking module. It usually happens with documents from one engineer (not French, he's in Bangalo
... See more
"when I open an Office application a little window pops up saying that Office XP with Front Page needs configuring.... and it is looking for the CD." .... "As I thought about it I think it started when, by accident, I said yes when asked if I wanted to download a korean font, or something of that sort (BIG error)."

I see that fairly often, except it wants me to install the French spell-checking module. It usually happens with documents from one engineer (not French, he's in Bangalore!) because his system repeatedly sets itself to be French. (don't ask why, it's Microsoft!)

Try deleting the Korean font, or enabling the Asian Language handling module, inserting your CD as needed.
Collapse

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:55
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Enabling foreign fonts Jun 26, 2005

If the file has been saved on a computer using these fonts, or if there's just one word in the document requiring them (as, for instance, when there's a list of languages available for the document) etc. - you will be asked for these fonts.

As this happens regularly in my case, I now tick a large number of language boxes (Japanese, both Chinese, Arabic, Korean, Russian, etc.) while setting up Office/Windows on a new computer as it saves a lot of hassle afterwards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office XP with front page (or is it a scam?)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »