https://www.proz.com/forum/safe_computing/40775-warning%3B_all_windows_systems_at_risk_from_troyan_attacks.html

Warning; All Windows systems at risk from Troyan attacks
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Dec 30, 2005

It seems very little known that a severe security weakness allows websites to put all kinds of malware on visitors with Windows operating systems:
http://www.f-secure.com/news/items/news_2005123000.shtml

Read the article and let's hope that MS finds a way to stop this threat soon.

Regards
Heinrich

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:13
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Why do I have the feeling... Dec 31, 2005

...that they are desperately trying to improve their sale? Trojans are nothing new, and claiming that just F-Secure is capable of stopping them seems to be nothing else like spam...

Regards

Andrzej

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Just another reason to use Firefox & Co. Dec 31, 2005

The warning is limited to WMF files.

But what always has me guessing is the apparently blind (careless?) use of the IE.
I know of several large companies who have banned IE from all their in-house PC's and workstations. Most professional users I know have done so as well.

Meanwhile, Firefox is claimed to have a 20% market share, for good reason.

The sooner web designers become aware of this fact and start providing websites that are "neutral" and do a
... See more
The warning is limited to WMF files.

But what always has me guessing is the apparently blind (careless?) use of the IE.
I know of several large companies who have banned IE from all their in-house PC's and workstations. Most professional users I know have done so as well.

Meanwhile, Firefox is claimed to have a 20% market share, for good reason.

The sooner web designers become aware of this fact and start providing websites that are "neutral" and do away with useless or annoying gimmicks such as introductory Flash sequences or (even worse) ActiveX, the better.

I wish all of us a virus and trojan-free 2006

John
Collapse

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
For those who don't have Firefox Jan 4, 2006

Just came across this page:

http://handlers.dshield.org/jullrich/wmffaq.html

It might be useful

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning; All Windows systems at risk from Troyan attacks

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »