https://www.proz.com/forum/safe_computing/43055-backup_suggestions_software_and_source_files.html

Backup suggestions - software and source files
Thread poster: achisholm
achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:56
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 25, 2006

I do most of my actual work on a jumbo screen "laptop" (P4 3GHz) running Win XP home. The computer has a 120GB HDD, DVD-RW, 4 USB ports ports and a firewire port. In terms of available equipment I have a 1GB USB pen drive, and a 60GB USB portable drive.

I would like to be abe to perform "disaster recovery" backups. I.e., backups with all my most recent work, trados TMs, emails etc.

Since I am a freelance writer/translator, I assume that my work tools/requirements are pr
... See more
I do most of my actual work on a jumbo screen "laptop" (P4 3GHz) running Win XP home. The computer has a 120GB HDD, DVD-RW, 4 USB ports ports and a firewire port. In terms of available equipment I have a 1GB USB pen drive, and a 60GB USB portable drive.

I would like to be abe to perform "disaster recovery" backups. I.e., backups with all my most recent work, trados TMs, emails etc.

Since I am a freelance writer/translator, I assume that my work tools/requirements are pretty much the same as most people using this site.

I use office, mostly word, and so my custom dictionary is quite extensive (lots of chemical names accumulated over the years). I also use Trados and do a lot of communication by email.

Ideally, I would like to find an application that would allow me to backup selected folders (those containing my word and trados files) and also if possible my Outlook files, and my custom dictionary from word. I'm sure there are other files I've forgotten to mention here, so please feel free to suggest any - again assuming you're a translator/writer working in a similar way to me.

Again, ideally, I would like to back this up to my 60GB USB drive (so there will be quite a bit of space).

Can anyone suggest an application that will allow me to do this quickly with the minimum of fuss? (for example, each year when I refresh my systems, t takes ages for me to export all the relevant outlook folders and then reimport them into the spare or refreshed PC - although this could probably be speeded up by archiving old emails seperately, but I would prefer to avoid this if possible as you never know when you might want to search for and read an email from an old client).

In addition to suggesting a software solution, I would also be greateful for any tips relating to backing up files I may have forgotten to mention, and any other tips routine users of such software - again from the writer/translator viewpoint - may have picked up over time.

Please feel free to mention all the tips/opinions you may have acquired in relation to this topic over time.

Many thanks in advance.

Sandy
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:56
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Related forum discussion and software suggestion Feb 25, 2006

Hi Sandy,

You might find this recent forum discussion of interest: http://www.proz.com/topic/41478 .

You might like to have a look at this website, where SyncBack has very good user ratings: http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwbackup.html. There is a download
... See more
Hi Sandy,

You might find this recent forum discussion of interest: http://www.proz.com/topic/41478 .

You might like to have a look at this website, where SyncBack has very good user ratings: http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwbackup.html. There is a download button on the site.

You can set the program to synchronize files between two or more folders/subfolders/drives that you work on simultaneously, or backup files from one folder/subfolder/drive to another, if you only work on one side, and want your files to be mirrored at another location. You can set a schedule for automatic synchronization/backup, or run it manually. And the best - the program is free and works super fast!

Alexander Chisholm wrote:

I am not sure if you'll be able to backup your emails with this software.

Alexander Chisholm wrote: I use office, mostly word, and so my custom dictionary is quite extensive (lots of chemical names accumulated over the years). I also use Trados and do a lot of communication by email.

Sounds fine to me. As long as your external hard drive is large enough, there should be no problem backing everything up. I found SyncBack to be very quick with backups, even for large files.

Alexander Chisholm wrote: Ideally, I would like to find an application that would allow me to backup selected folders (those containing my word and trados files) and also if possible my Outlook files, and my custom dictionary from word. I'm sure there are other files I've forgotten to mention here, so please feel free to suggest any - again assuming you're a translator/writer working in a similar way to me.

Again, ideally, I would like to back this up to my 60GB USB drive (so there will be quite a bit of space).

SyncBack allows you to choose exactly which folders to backup to which drive (and which folder in the target drive). I am not sure how or if it works with Outlook.

I want to mention that I am not in any way associated with SyncBack. I just found it very useful and it helped me save a lot of time and hassle, since I can schedule it to run automatically (at any point of time I want it to run).

Hope this helps,
Stefanie

[Edited at 2006-02-25 17:51]
Collapse

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:56
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestion.... Feb 26, 2006

I did notice that thread.

The reason I decided to open another thread was that I'm not interested in a full system of full drive backup, but only selected folders.

I'm also interested in ways of getting rapid backups of Outlook files and specific files (such as custom.dic).

It's the sort of thing that I had done in the past using the old "briefcase" function that was a part of Windows 95 (and perhaps also 98?).

I'll look at the utilities you su
... See more
I did notice that thread.

The reason I decided to open another thread was that I'm not interested in a full system of full drive backup, but only selected folders.

I'm also interested in ways of getting rapid backups of Outlook files and specific files (such as custom.dic).

It's the sort of thing that I had done in the past using the old "briefcase" function that was a part of Windows 95 (and perhaps also 98?).

I'll look at the utilities you suggest, and if I configure them to back uponly selected folders and files then this might be the solution.

Many thanks.
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 03:56
English to Indonesian
+ ...
nero backitup Apr 21, 2006

if you use nero as your cd burning software, you can use nero backitup. it can let you choose which file/folder you want to backup. you can also set a schedule to update your backup.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Backup suggestions - software and source files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »