Irina Romanova-Wasike
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:08
English to Russian
May 3, 2006

Today morning I get the following message regarding very dangerous virus:

Dear All,
Please be extremely careful especially if using internet mail
such as Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, and so on. This information arrived this morning from Microsoft and Norton. Please send it to everybody you know
who accesses the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power Point presentation " Life is beautiful. pps " . If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER
... See more
Today morning I get the following message regarding very dangerous virus:

Dear All,
Please be extremely careful especially if using internet mail
such as Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, and so on. This information arrived this morning from Microsoft and Norton. Please send it to everybody you know
who accesses the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power Point presentation " Life is beautiful. pps " . If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES , and delete it immediately. if you open this file, a message will appear on your screen saying: " It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful ", subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the person who sent it to you gain access to your name, e-mail and password. This is a new virus ! which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon WE NEED TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO STOP THIS VIRUS. AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the antivirus Software's are not capable of destroying it. The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself "life owner ". PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS and PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY.

I'm sure we all have filters for unsolicited mail and so on but just in case...

Has anybody come across anything of the sort?
Collapse

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
Yep. Here it goes: May 3, 2006

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/life.is.beautiful.hoax.html

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:08
German to English
+ ...
Virus alert May 3, 2006

It's a hoax. Any message saying "PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS and PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY" invariably is. This one is four years old, too.

Marc

Irina Romanova-Wasike
Irina Romanova-Wasike
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx May 3, 2006

It's a hoax. Any message saying "PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS and PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY" invariably is. This one is four years old, too.

I actually thought so. Somebody just decided to abuse our group mail...
I'm so current on the viruses and hoaxes Maybe you can advise where one can get some relevant info?

Thank you again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virus alert

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »