Which software programmes do you avoid installing, to keep a computer running without trouble?
Thread poster: Teresa Bento

Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 21, 2006

I have been wondering about this for a very long time, since I've a family PC and a laptop. I use the latter for my translation work, since it is a way of keeping it safe and away from other people's (mis)use. I also keep it "clean" from any software which does not relate to work.

I'd like to know which programmes do you avoid installing at all cost, whether because they use too much hard drive space or may harm your system/ bring you trouble.

And now, the most concrete question: do you think programmes such as Google Earth may occupy too much space on your hard drive?

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
FLIP Aug 21, 2006

Hi Teresa,

FLIP is definetely a program not to install if you use Word and Trados. I had it several times installed but decided to remove it for good as it created many problems with Trados in Word. Also, after removal... the FLIP menu was still appearing in Word... and only after a few crazy steps it desapeared... Hope for good now.

FLIP personnel are aware of this... so maybe they can sort it in future...

All the best
Mónica

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:58
German to English
+ ...
Which software programmes do you avoid installing, to keep a computer running without trouble? Aug 21, 2006

Windows, for starters.

Marc

Manal chreidah  Identity Verified
German to Arabic
+ ...
not an expert Aug 21, 2006

hi

I am not an expert in computer and co. but i avoid installing any freeware, especially on my laptop, which I use form my tranlations

best regards
manal

Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 22:58
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Google Earth Aug 21, 2006

Teresa Bento wrote:
And now, the most concrete question: do you think programmes such as Google Earth may occupy too much space on your hard drive?
Thanks in advance!

Hi Teresa,

I don't think it's the fact that it (or programs like it) takes up so much space on the hard drive I think it's more to do with it using so much precious CPU power to run.

As long as when you're using it you don't try to do too many other things you should be fine:)

I love Google Earth! Brings me that little bit closer to home:) and places I've been to before and places I want to go to in the future.

Don't know about other programs but I agree with Marc on Windows:)

Talk about a monopoly. They create something amazing and then create things to cause problems so that people will buy things to fix the problems they've created in the first place! Am I making sense? Probably not.

Good luck anyway,
Mark

skport  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:58
Portuguese to English
+ ...
windows Aug 21, 2006

[quote]Teresa Bento wrote:
"I'd like to know which programmes do you avoid installing at all cost"

I agree with Marc and Mark about Windows. Life is much calmer without MS.

[quote]Teresa Bento wrote:
"And now, the most concrete question: do you think programmes such as Google Earth may occupy too much space on your hard drive?"

It depends on the size of your hard drive and what other programmes you want to have open at the same time.

Another thing to bear in mind is that if you are in doubt and you install something, and you then start to have problems, you can always uninstall the programme.

[Edited at 2006-08-21 14:14]

Maria Luisa Duarte  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Portuguese
+ ...
consult the experts when in doubt Aug 21, 2006

Dear Teresa,

With regards to your question:

"I'd like to know which programmes do you avoid installing at all cost, whether because they use too much hard drive space or may harm your system/ bring you trouble."

do like a friend of mine always says " consult the experts when in doubt" in this case a computer wizard would be the right choice.

good luck, beijinhos

MLD

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:58
English to French
+ ...
Toolbars Aug 21, 2006

Toolbars that are integrated in Explorer are usually mean little devils that not only download information from the internet, but more often than not, they also UPLOAD information about you. Very bad for privacy - and we are usually not aware of this. The best thing to do is read the small print. However, the small print is often available only once the software is installed. The privacy statement should normally mention whether you upload info by using the software.

In general, I've had problems with all Google products. Freeware is not always a problem - many freeware comes with nothing but the freeware itself, and often, it doesn't upload anything when you use it. Freeware is usually safe but you have to check the small print and all information on the site where you download it from. Also, the comments on freeware that users leave on download.com can help you to know this before you download.

In general, it's best to leave toolbars alone, most everything else is safe.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You avoid installing Norton antivirus Aug 21, 2006

However, don't misunderstand me. You do, obviously, need an antivirus program and firewall. eTrust EZ Antivirus is the right one.

Astrid

langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
Italian to German
+ ...
Antivirus Aug 21, 2006

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

However, don't misunderstand me. You do, obviously, need an antivirus program and firewall. eTrust EZ Antivirus is the right one.

Astrid

Also (free) Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic is a good solution (http://www.free-av.de, you can switch there from German to English). Upgrading to a version with more features is rather inexpensive (e.g. AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium, 20 Euros a year). Got a series of rather good ratings.

langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
Italian to German
+ ...
Which software programmes do you avoid installing, to keep a computer running without trouble? Aug 21, 2006

1. Windows (if I only could... - Sorry Mark, but this is not THAT simple )

2. Internet Explorer for Browsing (unfortunately one must keep it there). I've been using Firefox for approx. 2 years now and I won't change back to IE...

3. Outlook and Outlook Express (I've always hated Outlook and when "trying out" Firefox soon afterwards I also installed Thunderbird to give it a try against Outlook Express. Liked it much better though there where some bugs in the beginning).

Just my personal opinion.

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Any file-sharing programs Aug 22, 2006

Stay well clear of file-sharing software, such as emule, kazaa light etc. Troubles guaranteed. Also, if in doubt when installing a new software, make an image of the disk first. In fact, disinstalling a software always leave some unused files on the hard disk, which may harm the OS. In this cases, simply revert the system on the disk image and you'll be okay (works for backups as well).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which software programmes do you avoid installing, to keep a computer running without trouble?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs