Mobile menu

P*rno invasion - every time I open a new browser window, I get 1 extra (antivirus not recognising..)
Thread poster: Yaotl Altan

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:24
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 4, 2006

Hi, colleagues:

In these recent days my PC has been attacked by P*rno windows. Everytime I open a new window in the web explorer it opens a second one with not too beautiful girls showing their......let's say...their bodies.

If I open a second window to work at, then the system open another P*rno window. So, when I used to workwith 2 internet windows, now I've got 4. If I open a 3rd one, in total I've got a 6th one: 3 business-oriented windows and 3 naked-oriented windows WHICH I REALLY DO NOT WANT.

Anyone knows something about this? Is it a virus? An exe file? Where can I find it? My antivirus is not recognising it.

Thank you very much.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-12-04 19:11]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-27 19:51 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:24
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Actualize your browser, use popup-blocker Dec 4, 2006

Switch to Firefox for example, it has a very good popup-blocker integrated. But also Microsoft Internet Explorer starting from the version 6 allows you to block popups.

Regards
Jerzy

Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
And you probably have a virus too... Dec 4, 2006

If popups appear without any relation you the pages you´re visiting, you can be sure you´re having a virus, or another nasty bug in your computer.

I switched to Kapersky after having had Norton for 3 years continuously, it filtered out several baddies afterwards...

Also, download Adaware and Spybot Search&Destroy (they´re free). I am no fan of having lots of antivirus-related programs, but they´re well worth the effort.

Be sure to update virus, trojan, adware & spybot databases before you run them the first time.

Success...

mjbjosh
English to Latvian
+ ...
Upgrade??? Dec 4, 2006

Try to upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 if you are still using an older version. It's even better at blocking pop-ups than IE 6.

Also, it looks like you have fallen victim to spy-ware or ad-ware. There are different solutions to clean your computer. I have successfully used Ad-Aware for that matter in the past. Microsoft even recommended it before they had developed their own spyware and malware removal tool. It's part of the Windows updates, but I still haven't figured out from where you can run it. But like I said, IE 6 & 7 and good anti-virus software (Kaspersky on my computer) do their job good enough so that as of late I never really had to in the first place.

[Edited at 2006-12-04 19:06]

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 19:24
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spyware Dec 4, 2006

Not a virus, but spyware. You may use Adaware and Spybot Search&Destroy.

In addition, turn on the Pop Up Blocker in you browser.

Salu2.

Walter

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi Yaotl Dec 4, 2006

It means that your computer is infected with some malicious software and that the system should be cleaned. To do so please use one of the following programs:

http://www.download.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=spyware&tg=dl-2001&search.x=26&search.y=1

or any of the programs listed here:
http://www.download.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=spyware&tg=dl-2001&search.x=26&search.y=1

or this one:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.html

==========================================
More info

What is Spyware?
http://www.spyany.com/program/article_spyware.htm

What is Adware?
http://www.spyany.com/program/article_adware.htm

Remove Adware & Spyware
http://www.spyany.com/program/article_adware_remove.html

==========================================

[Edited at 2006-12-04 20:05]

Traduloc
Spain
English to Spanish
Try Foxie to avoid the pop-up windows Dec 4, 2006

You can continue using your web browser if you install this plug-in. I won't allow these kind of windows opening.
http://www.getfoxie.com/

I hope this helps.
Jose

Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 4, 2006

Thank you very much, colleagues.

I found the malicious software and smashed it with your kind suggestions.

David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
Or get radical: Dec 5, 2006

Organize the web sites visited into 1) Trusted, 2) Restricted, and 3) Internet zones (default). Then set the script settings for those to 1) Ok (if it has to be), 2) Never run script or ActiveX, or 3) Ask me before running (so I can reload, if I really have to).

Haven't seen a pop-up since starting that practice, without extra pop-up blocking, etc., software.

Yes, I have a bad attitude, where scripting/ActiveX is concerned. One of the things I did was connect controls to scripting hosts for "fat" runtimes. IAE, I don't run a free time-sharing system. You want my clock cycles? Give me something worth it (like Proz.com) or buy 'em. FWIW, I apply the same attitude to storage space (cookies).

[Edited at 2006-12-05 11:12]

Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Talking about saints Dec 7, 2006

dAVID:

I will implement some of your suggestions, particularly those related to ActiveX. Thank you very much.

Anyway, it was not too radical after listening someone's advice: " Prepare yourself to the judgment day and choose your beloved saint". Who's that? I replied.

...Saint format c:

I think I do not need to worship that saint .....yet

David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
LOL Saint Dec 12, 2006

A friend had a suggestion for Saint Format C:

When creating partitions on the primary drive (as opposed to extended drives), create 3 partitions, instead of just one. The first partition should be large enough for the operating system, the 2nd partition should be for programs (about one quarter of the drive), and the third should be for "data" (doc, xls, ppt, jpg, etc. files). This divides the physical drive into "logical" drives C:, D:, and E:.

It is similar to putting colored seperators into a file drawer, so that employee records are visually seperated from project information and both from biliing records, etc.

I usually give the C: partition 8GB, and use it for Windows, temporary files, and some programs, which I think have to be re-installed (like Office) after a re-format.

The idea is still not a substitute for back-ups!! At some point (in the very far future, I hope), the physical drive will fail and take all partitions with it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

P*rno invasion - every time I open a new browser window, I get 1 extra (antivirus not recognising..)

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs