Inga Jakobi  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:58
Member (2006)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Dec 14, 2006

Hi everybody!
Today I received an enail offering translations. I only use the concerned email adress for proz and business and have never received any spam. But the text sounds like a spam and therefore I would be interested if others have also received this email, know the sender or have any other advice. Here a part of the text:

Dear Inga Pier

Would you like to do some translations jobs? Here: (then a link follows)

there is a list of translations pr
... See more
Hi everybody!
Today I received an enail offering translations. I only use the concerned email adress for proz and business and have never received any spam. But the text sounds like a spam and therefore I would be interested if others have also received this email, know the sender or have any other advice. Here a part of the text:

Dear Inga Pier

Would you like to do some translations jobs? Here: (then a link follows)

there is a list of translations projects waiting for you.

IMO opinions that sounds very much like spam, and I didn't dare to click on the link. But I searched google for the email adress and landed on the site of the Argentinian telecom.

Any comments are welcome!
Inga
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:58
German to English
Certainly not professional Dec 14, 2006

I receive unsolicited queries from time to time. Most contain some information about the company, plus a URL indicating where I can obtain more information about the company and their services. The few that say they have a job for me specifically mention how they obtained my name (Proz, local translators association diretory, etc.). All other inquiries get deleted.

The offer may be real, but do you really want to do business with a company that doesn't use a professional approach?

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
got the same mail Dec 14, 2006

I think I shall not click the link

Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski
Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
same here Dec 14, 2006

Got the mail as well. Didn't click the link but search in Google first. It also appears to be an Argentinian Telecom company.

Darrell Champlin
Darrell Champlin  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Got it too Dec 14, 2006

I got the very same e-mail last week some time. Almost spooky, and obviously "spammy"...

mireille aboumrad
mireille aboumrad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:58
French to English
+ ...
Well read this Dec 14, 2006

I got an e-mail through my proz profile, no heading, no signature, inquiring about my fee for FR>EN legal docs. I answered and signed my name.
2 days later I get this: "give me a discount it's too much!" without as much as a signature. By this time, I was a little annoyed, I wrote back saying I would like to know who I am talking to, explained the process involved in translating, and since I was overworked, I threw in that I do not sell tomatoes.
This is the reply I received: "hello
... See more
I got an e-mail through my proz profile, no heading, no signature, inquiring about my fee for FR>EN legal docs. I answered and signed my name.
2 days later I get this: "give me a discount it's too much!" without as much as a signature. By this time, I was a little annoyed, I wrote back saying I would like to know who I am talking to, explained the process involved in translating, and since I was overworked, I threw in that I do not sell tomatoes.
This is the reply I received: "hello lady
Sorry I was out of town for few days. You're really aggressive. Do you treat all your clients like this?!!! Maybe you should be selling tomatos. Seams like you have some issues to solve with yourself before you help people. I'd suggest you remove your picture from your site, because your face looks flushed, and looks like you had few drinks on board, maybe some drugs!!! I won't be surprised. I'm going to post your response on the site very soon. Thnaks"

I takes all kinds of people!!!!
Mireille
Collapse

Inga Jakobi
Inga Jakobi  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Chinese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am lost for words! Dec 14, 2006

Hi,
interesting to hear that you got the email too.
But as to Mireille: I am simply lost for words!
Inga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

real inquiry or spam?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »