Mobile menu

Spammers using my domain name: what to do?
Thread poster: Todd Field

Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:37
Member (2003)
Portuguese to English
Apr 4, 2007

Recently, it seems that a spammer has decided to use the domain name of my website to send spam messages. In other words, the "sender" of the spam messages is joe@(, jack@(, etc., making it appear that the messages are originating from my URL, even though (of course) I am not personally generating spam messages from my own site or my own computer.

The result: I am now receiving literally hundreds of messages daily, mostly auto responses ("your message was detected as spam by our spam filter", "message could not be delivered for whatever reason", "out of the office", "thank you for contacting us", and so on).

Has anyone encountered this problem? If so, any recommendations on how to deal with it?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2007-04-04 15:30]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:37
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
This can happen to anyone Apr 4, 2007

It will last some time and then it will stop.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:37
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Previous forum topic Apr 4, 2007

The subject is mentioned here
by me among others.
Unfortunately no-one seems to have a solution to the problem. But eventually whoever is doing it gets tired of it and stops. This happened to someone else who posted in this topic, and a couple of weeks later the problem solved itself in this way for me too.

Local time: 23:37
English to French
+ ...
Things to consider Apr 4, 2007

What occurs is that these spammer idiots manage to hijack the email addresses of various people and possibly computers, without the user being aware. This latter thing can happen especially if you are using Windows which is a very insecure operating system. These spammers can remotely install a program called a worm onto certain Windows computers due to flaws in the software and then masquerade as someone else, sending out thousands of emails without you knowing about it. this may or may not be what has happened.

You can use anti-virus software to check your windows computer to make sure, but my recommendation as a Linux/UNIX expert is to drop Windows. Linux/UNIX are inherently immune to viruses/worms and in ten years of using Linux I have never had a virus and do not use anti-virus software, it's not necessary. Mac OS X is based on UNIX, so it too is immune in the same way.

In the case of spammers using just your email address, your email service hosted externally, this happens all the time no matter what system you are on because the addresses are easily obtainable on line. As others have said, this should clear up after a while. There is little that you can do about it.

If you are using some type of hosting for a site or other web presence you should enquire as to what operating system is being used for this by your provider. Consider switching to another provider if they only use Windows and do not know the first thing about Linux/UNIX. That usually means that their staff does not consist of computing experts.

Number one rule: protect your data.

Paul Betts  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:37
French to English
Catch-all account May 8, 2007

Just a tip to help you manage your daily spam receipts... (something I did with a recent client)

If you have a website and you can administer the email accounts through the hosts control panel, consider setting up an alternative account (the new account name is not important) through your web server control panel, for example SPAM@(

You then assign this status of the 'catch-all' account (most hosting systems have this function - which will take all the returned bounced emails which are not those of your main email account and dump them into a cormer of the email server. You can equally chose not to 'save a copy' of them if you are sure they contain nothing useful. This configuration means that your email in-tray only receives the messages of interest to you, and your main publicised work email account.

You are then not tempted to click on the links to see which dubious sites they come from. This is important, as often in the link direction address there is information that tells the spam robot that they have reached a target (a human being) and thus merit further investment. Certain spam activities may possibly then die off.

Hope this helps in terms of management.

[Edited at 2007-05-08 18:41]

[Edited at 2007-05-09 12:24]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spammers using my domain name: what to do?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs