Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:28
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
May 14, 2007

Hello there,

I just thought it might be worth warning people that there appears to be an increase in phishing scams at the moment from unscrupulous scammers involving Moneybookers.

I am currently getting a significant number of messages saying I've received a payment or that I need to update security settings on my account, all of which are fraudulent. Any message purporting to be from Moneybookers (or Paypal/your bank etc.) urging you to click on a link included in the
... See more
Hello there,

I just thought it might be worth warning people that there appears to be an increase in phishing scams at the moment from unscrupulous scammers involving Moneybookers.

I am currently getting a significant number of messages saying I've received a payment or that I need to update security settings on my account, all of which are fraudulent. Any message purporting to be from Moneybookers (or Paypal/your bank etc.) urging you to click on a link included in the e-mail is doubtless fraudulent. Other tell-tale signs are the poor standard of English and the fact that they are addressed to "Dear Member" rather than "Dear [name]".

I know there are probably plenty of topics about this already in the forum - I just noticed an increase in these messages and wanted to make sure nobody got taken in by them.
Collapse

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 16:28
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Very nice of you, Jeremy... May 14, 2007

and I actually mean it in the best of ways.

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 18:28
Spanish to French
+ ...
Thanks, Jeremy May 15, 2007

It is always good to be reminded once in a while, anyways.

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 18:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you very much Jeremy. May 15, 2007

I'm a Moneybookers user and this information is very useful.

Have a nice day!

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
PayPal Scam, Too. May 15, 2007

I recently received 2 e-mails within one week asking me to "validate" or "verify" (I can't remember which) my PayPal account by clicking on a link in the e-mail. The scammers seem to be after my Social Security No. and my bank account information. Since PayPal already has my bank account info, why would they ask for it again? Definitely a lot of scammers out there who think we're pretty naive.

[Edited at 2007-05-15 02:37]

[Edited at 2007-05-15 02:39]

Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:28
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks May 15, 2007

Jeremy, thanks for sharing this. I use MoneyBookers and one can't be too careful.
Best regards,
Saskia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moneybookers scammers

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »